Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition]

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
b rock
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8717
2006/02/12 07:05:45 (permalink)

Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition]

Big brass ones, eh? Rapture isn't due for release for more than two weeks, and I'm going to write a tutorial on it. No, I don't have any inside information on this; just the .jpg below, the press release, and Rene's comments. That won't stop me from speculating on how I might be using Rapture in the very near future. First up, the step generators, which are being called StepGens around here already.

So, what are they? It's a control source that transmits a different level for each discrete 'step', or interval, one after another in a sequence. Not too different from what's often described as an analog sequencer. In Rapture, you can define the actual number of steps involved. I see 16 below; perhaps that's a minimum. The maximum number can be up to 128 steps. That's a lot of fine control.

The Depth control to the left will set the maximum level produced by drawing a step to the very top of the graph. Remember, this value can be (selectively) positive or negative, and defined in appropriate units for that process. Smoothing will be interesting here. Instead of hard-edged steps that jump to a value, you can Smooth your way from step to step, and create gently undulating levels. Put the two together, and you've got another drawable envelope generator or an LFO.

And here's something new: the StepGen Smooth and Depth paramameters are now available as Destinations in the MIDI Matrix. This is going to give you the ability to control how 'quantized' or "slewed' the StepGen results will be between steps, and how deeply they affect the interplay among it, the EG, and the LFO of that particular parameter. For example, keyboard velocity or position can determine how present the StepGen will be, and how cleanly it proceeds from step to step. Or use any MIDI message (and more), like your mod wheel or a slider.

Best part: they sync' to tempo, or not. So you can trigger a free-running sequence of steps, or one that's in lock-step with your host, all without leaving your keyboard, or resorting to host application tricks and clips. The Sync divisor lets you easily offset one StepGen to quarter-tempo, as an example, while having another Step-Gen at double-time. Or let two StepGens drift slightly out-of-sync by Sync'ing one, and free-running another close in Frequency. No doubt that you'll be able to easily Copy/Paste between StepGens to make the setup a breeze.

Great. So what can you do with StepGens? I hinted at a few practical applications, but let's take a look at a few more specific scenarios by parameter. Like Dimension & offspring, you have access to Pitch, Filter Cutoff, Filter Resonance, Panning, and Amplitude. The news here is that in Rapture, you get to double your filtering power. And control them each with Rene's amazing envelope generators, the keytracking and LFO (now user-loadable !!!), and the step generators; alone or in combination. Remember, too, that these techniques will be available for all six distinct Elements, so you can combine them, or mix & match across 'oscillators'.

Pitch: I suspect there's an easy shortcut provided to bring each step to a discrete level. So a Step-Gen can lock into specific pitches at every step of the way, and lets you draw in your own scale sequence. This makes it into a piano roll sequencer of sorts, and takes the work out of trying to manage & sync' this in an EG. So, set a 2400 Depth, draw in an ascending line of steps, and you have a triggered glissando of 'notes' sweeping upward over two octaves. Add some Smoothing, and it becomes an upward Portamento sweep. This is in addition to the new Portamento feature in the Multisample editing window.

One more thing: these discrete 'pitch' steps will give results based on any Scala template that you might have loaded. Modified scales can be achieved by using an overlay to change the relationship from one note to the next on your keyboard input, and I'm sure that this would extend to your StepGens. So, a 'perfect fifth' relationship would change actual pitch as a result of a loaded Scala file.

Filter 1 & 2 Cutoff & Resonance: Now we're talking. Run one StepGen to set the Filter 1 parameters to change every measure, and the other to give you a massive downward filter sweep every few measures. Or pit one upward 'sample & hold' sequence against it's inverted version in two filters. Just copy/paste the StepGen sequence, drop it into another filter parameter, and change the Depth from positive to the same negative value.

Or just fly in a few resonant notes every beat, without affecting any of the other filter settings. Offset the two filters by a specific sync'ed time value, and have one filter sweep delayed in relationship to the other. And you don't have to be that radical, either: create some smooth, undulating cutoff waves that flow along with musical phrasing, and enhance the filter action just slightly.

Pan & Amplitude: I could've sworn I read about step generators being available to the master output as well. At any rate, combining pan StepGens and amplitude allows great control over apparant loudness and position in the stereo field. Let a couple of Elements hold center, and bring in some bell-like texture dancing around the sound field. Or fade in one sound while fading out the next at different pan positions, with major control over each step. You've got several automated mixing boards within the synth at your disposal. Tremolo effects, fingerpicking simulations, flutter-tongue techniques: these and more are all easily within your grasp.

And I haven't even gotton into combining these techniques with the envelopes and LFOs. That's next: the incredible power that having synchronized LFOs in a one shot configuration (or looping) that can be drawn in an external appication. You can have 80+ of those loaded in Rapture; there at your fingertips when the muse strikes. That's another whole (speculative) tutorial in its own right.

No warranties. Expressed or implied.

39 Replies Related Threads

René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 08:24:52 (permalink)
    Yay you've been thinking for sure. That rocks. B rocks. A few spots:

I see 16 below; perhaps that's a minimum.

Min is 2 steps (1 doesn't make any sense).

Remember, this value can be (selectively) positive or negative, and defined in appropriate units for that process.

StepGens are unipolar, so depth starts at zero. You can naturally move the offset, using either the keytrack (moving both nodes at once) or the modulation matrix. Real World units in each case.

Or use any MIDI message (and more), like your mod wheel or a slider.

Or random, alternate or XY Pad, new matrix source.

and LFO (now user-loadable !!!

I prefer to call it 'user-definable'. As the shapes are shared by all instances, the wavfile needs to be there before you instantiate Rapture.

I suspect there's an easy shortcut provided to bring each step to a discrete level.

Certainly. Every StepGen has a 'Snap To' function, to snap it to 10, 12 or 24 levels. But for the Pitch StepGens, we have this 'MIDI Note Entry' where you set the StepGen in a 'learn' mode, then play the notes in your controller and voilá: sequence done.

No doubt that you'll be able to easily Copy/Paste between StepGens to make the setup a breeze.

Certainly. You can copy the whole StepGen with params and all, or just copy the Step levels. There's also utilities to Reset, Randomize, Invert and Mirror step levels.

One more thing: these discrete 'pitch' steps will give results based on any Scala template that you might have loaded.

Not really. The pitch StepGens are independant, so you can have much greater pitch ranges even in very narrow Scala definitions.

I could've sworn I read about step generators being available to the master output as well.

Oh yes, dedicated ones. I'm not sure if this page has seen the light, it's the GLOBAL page, which controls the output effects, stepgen and eq:

BTW, did we mention that the Modulation Matrix in Rapture has 24 slots?

-René
    lawapa
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 11:36:56 (permalink)
    WOW, The countdown is getting close. 2 weeks away and more is coming to light.
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 14:25:52 (permalink)
    I know I said that Rapture hit a couple of branches when it fell out the ugly tree a while back, but I have to say that the more I see it's interface, the more it grows on me...I guess I was being a little mean (no P5 update at NAMM must have been the cause! ). All those cute little step sequencers make me want it more and more...

Oh, and while you're revealing stuff: any discount for us Cakewalk users? (Hopefully, if the question is repeated enough, someone at Cake will let us know just to shut us up! )
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 14:28:29 (permalink)
    Well, well, well. You give a little around here, and it returns ten-fold. Thanks for this great set of "leaks", Rene. I really wasn't pushing for them, but I'm sure glad to have them. You see, I'm just a little bit excited about this particular synth. I think that the party line about Rapture's "midpoint" position is a bit misleading. I want no one to be unclear about the fact that this is a next-gen synth of the first order. And I set out to convey a little piece of that excitement by trying to flesh out what makes Rapture different. I've heard all the "I've already got DimPro & z3ta+" discussions. So do I. It doesn't matter. This one is something else entirely.
    Min is 2 steps
    I'm really glad to hear that. Because by setting the number of steps relatively lower, you have the opportunity to set up all kinds of polyrhythmic movement from within the synth itself. Using the Sync divisor in conjunction with the step count, you can 3 against 8, or 7/16; most any "time sig" your little heart desires. You're going to be able to get very complex, evolving sounds with a few StepGens and minimal effort.
    StepGens are unipolar ... The pitch StepGens are independant, so you can have much greater pitch ranges even in very narrow Scala definitions.
    Points well taken, and I stand corrected. The actual approaches here make a lot of sense. One thing, though: this would entirely depend on whether Scala emerges from its "niche" use with inclusion in Rapture. But I could see the value on imprinting the loaded Scala defintion over the Pitch StepGens. Not for everybody; it'd have to be non-default switchable. We'll see how the whole Scala thing plays out first.
    I prefer to call it 'user-definable'.
    User-definable it is. I'd think that you'd want these pre-loaded and worked out in advance of any serious composition beforehand.
    Tweak before you 'speak'.
    You can copy the whole StepGen with params and all, or just copy the Step levels. There's also utilities to Reset, Randomize, Invert and Mirror step levels ... Every StepGen has a 'Snap To' function, to snap it to 10, 12 or 24 levels. But for the Pitch StepGens, we have this 'MIDI Note Entry' where you set the StepGen in a 'learn' mode, then play the notes in your controller and voilá: sequence done.
    Damn. This is better than I could've hoped for. And so easy to implement, too. So, you've really been thinking this one through, eh, Rene?
    Oh, oh. I mean, ... the Cakewalk Team?
    the Modulation Matrix in Rapture has 24 slots? ... Or random, alternate or XY Pad, new matrix source.
    Whew! That Matrix was starting to get a little tight around the waistband. Not always, mind you, but sometimes 16 just isn't enough. Now this X-Y ... I don't see this as it's a z3ta+-like popup window. I wonder if you could share how it's implemented. Two slots are needed to assign both the X & Y axis?
    it's the GLOBAL page,
    So glad to see this. I like the layout; it's more logical. Hmm ... three total layers of effects processing now (Insert; Global; Master)? And those Global Step Generators. That's just plain crazy. I love it. If you just gate with this, you'll be missing out big-time.

Thanks again for all the info, Rene. End result? Now you've got me thinking even harder.
    lawapa
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 15:51:59 (permalink)
    Each element = 6 ocilators? So you write a sfz for the 6 wave forms to load? And for each ocillator you can define level/pan? Kinda like 6 z3ta's going at once?

The multi mode does not load different sets it just detunes the same ocillator out to a max of nine. I guess this allows for very thick sounds. Guess I got my wires crossed on that.
    post edited by lawapa - 2006/02/12 16:46:14
    Frunobulax
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 16:00:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for showing us the Global page René. Seeing the Global StepGen with the Master and Global effects, along with continuing to learn more about the individual StepGens, has me starting to grok the kind of power this thing has. Having up to six elements with StepGens for each element, then running it all into the Global StepGen, while adding delays and other effects at various stages along the way, means that extremely complex sounds are capable of being designed, particularly when you consider Rapture's ability to load Dimension multisamples.

Keep the teasers coming to tide us over until this baby is unleashed!
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 18:34:03 (permalink)
    This is starting to look pretty sexy... I'll be interested to know if there's a deal for registered owners of something or other. Since I have every other Cake product (lol) I'm hoping so...

René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 18:49:43 (permalink)
    You're going to be able to get very complex, evolving sounds with a few StepGens and minimal effort.

Of all synths I've been involved with, Rapture has by far the most 'reward factor' in nonsense editing in the StepGens.

I don't see this as it's a z3ta+-like popup window. I wonder if you could share how it's implemented. Two slots are needed to assign both the X & Y axis?

It's like that, it uses the same button used for 'Vector Mixer' in DP. Two slots... only if you want only two parameters, that is

Each element = 6 ocilators? So you write a sfz for the 6 wave forms to load? And for each ocillator you can define level/pan? Kinda like 6 z3ta's going at once?

You might want to check the Rapture Signal Flow thread, it's actually 9 oscillators. Of course that using sfz you can get many more.

Having up to six elements with StepGens for each element, then running it all into the Global StepGen, while adding delays and other effects at various stages along the way, means that extremely complex sounds are capable of being designed, particularly when you consider Rapture's ability to load Dimension multisamples.

I'm not sure if this is clear in the pics, but each element has actually 7 StepGens, assigned to Pitch, Filter 1 and 2 cutoff, Filter 1 and 2 resonance, pan and amplitude. Then the two Global. That's 42 StepGens available per patch.

-René
    lawapa
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/12 19:47:25 (permalink)
    See Rene, I told you ya was a great salesman. Now I realise it's the features that snag us. Draw us in, but you and that design team are sure making this hard to resist. Now I'm not asking where's the beef? I know where it is and I'm just waiting for the release ;)+), no fries what that please.
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/13 03:38:19 (permalink)
    sometimes 16 just isn't enough

I just love saying this to you, B, even though you already know how tough sfz is: “how many slots does a text file have?”
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 11:02:04 (permalink)
    Just a couple more things to think about here before we let this one go. Here's a blurb from the Rapture press release:
    Its advanced modulation capabilities include over 40 Step Generators per patch
    Let's clarify this a bit. As I said in the original post, the Step Generator is a modernized version of an analog sequencer. Not to be disparaging at all, but this is what it is at the core. It's how this basic idea gets implemented and expanded in Rapture that makes it so advanced. I'm drawing the comparison between the two to ease the transition for 'old-school' programmers to draw associations between the two implementations.

OK, so in an analog sequencer, you had voltage control in a stepped manner. If you wanted, you could send this out to an oscillator, and get sequential pitches. But if you wanted to lock that to a known musical scale, you had to 'quantize' the voltage output with another module, and adjust that to produce discrete levels of your choosing. In a StepGen, you can select Snap levels of 10, 12, or 24. Conveniently, this will allow you to easily get semitones [100 cents per] or octaves in a heartbeat. But, with the 'Learn' mode, you can just enter in your sequence from a keyboard. Couldn't be easier.

An analog sequencer also could control another parameter, like the filter cutoff or amplitude. Forget panning: these came a mono-synth mentality. So, you patch it up to a filter and an oscillator at the same time, and get some classic 'sample & hold' effects. Properly, you'd sample a noise source, quantize it to steps, and run it out from there. Rapture saves you the time, modules, & the patch cords, and lets you use the Random or X/Y pad instead. The four filter parameters, pitch, panning, and 'VCA's' are hard-wired in advance. I really don't see this as a limitation by any stretch; more like a convenience factor.

So, say you didn't want discrete steps to control your destinations. Perhaps you'd like to glide, as one step flows cleanly into the next. Before, you have to run the output through a Slew generator. Capacitors to slow the transition from one step to the next. In Rapture, you have the Smoothing parameter. You can adjust that in the StepGen itself, or go to that giant patch bay [the MIDI Matrix: now with 50% more slots!], and control the amount of Smoothing from a MIDI message from your KB. One minute it's 'stepped'; the next it 'flows': all under fingertip control. And the Depth destination there let's you 'fade in' the entire effect in the exact same manner.

Analog sequencers had a fixed amount of steps: usually sixteen (if you were lucky). And you had to adjust each one manually. Anyone ever try to get something usable out of a Poly-800 like this? You want to jump off a bridge by the time it's over, and (whatever you do), don't lose power to the KB. With Rapture, you can define 2-128 steps per StepGen, and create polyrhythmic movement by just playing one Step number amount against another. Reset to start over, Mirror to make the Step pattern symmetrical, Randomize to get crazy with it, or flip it upside-down with Invert.

Well, there are other analog-type sequencers out there, and some come attached to a synth. There's even the Synchron 32 MFX plugin with Project5 (quirky little thing!!!). So, what makes Rapture so special here? Lots of things. Ease of implementation and programming, they're all sync'ed in any increment to your master tempo, and ... well, there's 42 of them, folks. Per patch! Plus two on the master output. This is where all of the "advanced modulation capabilities" really start to take hold. You can set up one Step Gen, Copy the whole thing (or just the Step levels), and Paste it into something else. Your filters can reflect what your oscillators are doing, or go in opposite directions, or come close, and then drop off. And it takes about two seconds to set it up.

One more thing: Rapture mixes pre-wired internal control paths with control from the outside: you and your MIDI input. This access is going to let you have some say into what's going on as you play, yet still have the basic flow running automatically. Hands-on adjustments on the fly, and easily while you play. The Global StepGens will allow for relative level adjustments over a stereo field. You're going to be able to do effects with this that range from the subtle to the bizarre.

I've got another pic. It stilll isn't '"tweak-able", but I'm going to use it anyway. Even if it is "too wide". Must've been done on a Mac.

So, what is good does all this theory do without some practical examples?

Set up Velocity as a MIDI Matrix Source, and StepGen Smoothing as a Destination. Fade in some Pitch sequences with harder notes, and fade back to filtered sweeps with softer ones. Or use Release Velocity, and the quicker that you leave a note, the faster that a panning effect rotates. Or set up aftertouch to just bring in some crazy glides on only certain points in the phrasing, or a selected cascade of resonant notes.

Prepare a MIDI clip in your host application, and 'learn' in the sequence to a StepGen. Transpose that pattern for a harmonizer-type part, or transpose it easily by octaves/semitones with Rapture itself. Transpose by modal movement in the app, run it into another Element's StepGen, and you have 'intelligent' harmony. Offset one StepGen by sync increment, and the harmony's tempo becomes doubled, or halved. Or anything you can think of. 3 against four, anyone? How about 40 Hz. against 11/16?

Set up each StepGen to pan left-to-right across the stereo landscape, and listen as each distinct sound shoots through your head. Or jump them all over the stereo map, have them dance around in a quasi-random fashion, yet all meet up at the same spot again every measure (or any other tempo increment).

One week to go ...

No warranties. Expressed or implied.
    agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 11:05:35 (permalink)
    Frankly I'm a little annoyed we don't have pricing info yet, especially pricing for registered Cake customers. NUDGE NUDGE.

I mean, you'd think they'd want to have pre-ordering....

René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 12:28:15 (permalink)
    I've got another pic. It stilll isn't '"tweak-able", but I'm going to use it anyway. Even if it is "too wide". Must've been done on a Mac.

Impressive. Do tell more about that.

-René
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 12:51:09 (permalink)
    Do tell more about that.
    Simple. I'm tired of waiting. I'm not going to buy Rapture anymore. The thrill is gone, the honeymoon's over, and I've got a better alternative.

The way I figure it, I'll just grab all of these Rapture screenshots, and process them through MetaSynth instead. That way, I can take the essence of Rapture, and use the graphics from it to create complete soundscapes by running them though as ... [gulp!] OS X? You mean, Mac-only MetaSynthesis?

Hey, does anyone have a Powerbook that I can borrow for just a few days?

we don't have pricing info yet, especially pricing for registered Cake customers.
    Just like in music: Sometimes it's in the silences that you find the greatest punctuation to the voices.
    René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 13:01:41 (permalink)
    Simple. I'm tired of waiting. I'm not going to buy Rapture anymore. The thrill is gone, the honeymoon's over, and I've got a better alternative.

Really. Cool. I'm Batman, nice to meet you.

-René
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 13:13:43 (permalink)
    Really. Cool. I'm Batman, nice to meet you.
    Hmm. That would make me The Joker, then. And I do so hate the makeup.
    Except in a black-tie setting, of course.

How's it look, Rene? Still on schedule for the Rapture?
    You know why I ask: FedEx is going to take another two or three weeks to find the 'Gator Shack again. I'm thinking about coming to Boston and picking it up; that'll be much easier on everyone. So any delays puts me into April before I get to really dive into it.
    René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 13:35:13 (permalink)
    How's it look, Rene? Still on schedule for the Rapture?

Certainly. Already in the replication facility.

You know why I ask: FedEx is going to take another two or three weeks to find the 'Gator Shack again. I'm thinking about coming to Boston and picking it up; that'll be much easier on everyone. So any delays puts me into April before I get to really dive into it.

If FedEx screwes this one as well, I'll personally deliver the next synth to your door. Beer on you, one more time.

-René
    lawapa
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/20 21:49:45 (permalink)
    If FedEx screwes this one as well, I'll personally deliver the next synth to your door. Beer on you, one more time.

Customer service with a smile ;)+) HEY I'd buy tickets to that!!! I've always want my Rapture box signed by the man himself. And well the whole team but that's tickets to Boston, hotel and cab fare, Nah I'll just get the synth. It would be cheaper that buying a Mac and menta synth.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 04:03:15 (permalink)
    In this modern day and age shouldn't the synth be downloadable after being purchased via credit card? Then the box and CD could be shipped/received at leisure.

B - love the new avatar (or whatever you call those things).

Also - need the tutorial: Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing and Using Rapture with Cakewalk Sonar 4 Home Studio. Chapter 1: Even if you're too lazy to learn how to use the program, here's how to get it installed and hosted so you can start digging the Rapture vibe immediately.
    Paradroid
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 04:20:21 (permalink)
    Complete Idiot's Guide to Installing and Using Rapture with Cakewalk Sonar 4 Home Studio.

I would imagine that Rapture will actually ship with such a document… but it will have a more diplomatic title.

Seriously, you have nothing to fear. The crew here are equally adept at holding people's hands while installing a new synth as they are with pushing the limits of each-and-every bit of kit they get hold of.

They don't really expect you to start mashing custom LFOs and maxed-out MIDI matrixes together at your first moment of en-Rapture-ment.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 05:10:07 (permalink)
    B - While I, like many others I'm sure, enjoy your pithy style of writing, I hope the actual tutorial will be super clear and down-to-earth. I tried to follow what you've written so far and although I understand some of it, it also goes past my current knowledge. That's why I'm so excited about your tutorials. In order to make them learnable, I forsee the need for:

1) MP3 sound examples (multiple?) for each technique you teach.

2) Clear pointers (like the red ones you're using now) to whatever parameter you want us to be experimenting with, one at a time.

3) Fastidious attention to progressive learning (i.e. one technique builds on the next, so the order of which techniques we learn is paramount)

4) Maybe a "big picture" project - like one per chapter where we're actually working on a sound.

What I'm really talking about is thinking in terms of a textbook. Since this will be "virtual", I hope it will be on its own website and not delivered via this forum method. That's because we, the students, will have to wade through reply after reply in order to get to the teaching.

As regards a great example textbook, aside from almost any textbook approved for the typical community college business curriculum, I will say take a look at Scott Garrigus' books. They are, in fact, textbooks I believe. I have his Sonar 4 Power and it's fabulous. Begins at the beginning and methodically and orderly goes through the program. That's what I'm hoping to receive from your tutorial.

And BTW I think a workman is worthy of his hire, so don't be afraid to ask us to pay for your expertise.

I'm really excited about Rapture, thanks to the great tutelage I see forthcoming from your "pen"!
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 12:17:34 (permalink)
    I hope the actual tutorial will be super clear and down-to-earth. I tried to follow what you've written so far and although I understand some of it, it also goes past my current knowledge. That's why I'm so excited about your tutorials.
    I guess that was the whole point in my doing these little 'exercises', Rick. I get excited about the possibilities, and I try to share that here. And that means that here I'll concentrate on the esoterica, because why would anyone get fired up about reading the 'same-old same-old'? Not that there isn't room for that, and a real need & place for it. It's just that this wasn't the original intent.
    I will say take a look at Scott Garrigus' books. They are, in fact, textbooks I believe. ... Begins at the beginning and methodically and orderly goes through the program. That's what I'm hoping to receive from your tutorial.
    I've got some of those Power! books, too. Really well done. But consider this: Scott undoubtedly has access to the necessary information BEFORE a release. Look at the timing of the publishing; He has to. Me? I'm just winging it. I get it when everyone else does. In the Sonar series, I think that Scott can build on what he's already put into it, and concentrate on the changes in the next version. Not that he hasn't put in his time, but some of that investment can be recycled. Here, we're dealing with something completely new. Some of the knowledge is transferable from Dimension/Pro and general synthesizer technique, but I'll be unable to separate tested fact from "I think so" for some time yet.
    1) MP3 sound examples (multiple?) for each technique you teach.
    2) Clear pointers (like the red ones you're using now) to whatever parameter you want us to be experimenting with, one at a time.
    3) Fastidious attention to progressive learning (i.e. one technique builds on the next, so the order of which techniques we learn is paramount)
    4) Maybe a "big picture" project - like one per chapter where we're actually working on a sound.
    I need some web space. Badly. Right now, this is my format, and I've been told by a lot of folks that this is where I belong. They like the personalized answers on tap, even though they have to weed through other similarly targeted answers (and the jokes) to get to them. Web space allows me to upload graphics, sound examples, and do this thing up right, while retaining editing options for what I might've missed.

Often, any sound examples of stuff I'm exploring make their way in some form to Project5.com, because that's the only option I'm using at this point. For example, we talked about the Ion, and using it as a controller for Dimension. I came in late one night and fired off a live piece with that in mind, and uploaded it. Not 1-1, but "inspired by". You can do the same thing with any controller, and a single instance of Dimension. And I dump all sorts of text to the P5 Wiki, usually uncredited (by my choice). I guess that the PSYNtology series is as close as I ever came to anything 'formal', and even that was gleaned from posts. A little disorganized, but there's an intended progression to it.

You (& others) have given me some food for thought, though. Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rick. I'd be glad to attempt a step-by-step tutorial with all of the proper bases covered. It'd have to be a labor of love, though. There's not enough money in it to do it for any other reason. Starting rates for tech writing pays like $0.20 - $0.25 per word, and that's if someone commissions it. A decent article might pay for Rapture in the long run, but that doesn't really cover the hours needed to do it up properly. I might be better off thinking, "Here it is." without any expectations. If something ends up building on that, fine. If it doesn't, I'm not out much of anything, either.

Doesn't matter. I do it because I love to. It's fun, it sharpens my chops, and there's a bit of a thrill with riding on the edge without knowing if you're right or wrong. And the feedback that I get returned from that tells me that other people consider it valuable, too. I'm at a crossroads with this writing stuff, Rick. Let's see what comes of it. In the meantime, ask away.

BTW: The avatar. Took about two minutes to do. Chad gave me the material, and I customized it for my own slant. I'm going to smoke Rapture when it gets here, and those StepGens and UD-LFOs are where forensics will determine that the inferno started.
    Paradroid
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 14:35:08 (permalink)
    I need some web space. Badly.

You want charity? 'Cause I got some for you Tom… My email is my full name (without spaces/underscores) at hotmail.com — no hard feelings if you got other plans, just trying to be helpful. Can't help you with that 56k modem though…
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 14:56:20 (permalink)
    You want charity?
    I really should've phrased that as "I really need to get some web space. Badly." It's more a matter of logistics, and time. And, yes, the modem has to go along with that. Believe it or not, there was a time (a scant dozen or so months back) when I was an actual part of the civilized world. I think wistfully about that often ...

Hey, but that doesn't negate your kind offer, Dale. We should've exchanged e-mail addresses a long time ago, anyway. And maybe I'd feel OK with imposing on your good will for a limited time on a temporary basis. Hmm ... now all I need is Rapture. And a postman will some sort of visual acuity and a keen sense of direction.

Thanks, man. I'll be in touch.
    René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 16:41:33 (permalink)
    Just to continue the good vibe, I'd like to be in touch as well. My email addie is ChadBeckwith[at]Cakewalk#dot#com

-René
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 17:32:59 (permalink)
    I'd like to be in touch as well. My email addie is
    Now that's just good comedy. Here I just met the guy: You don't want me to scare him away just yet, do you?
    Hmm ... seems like he doesn't scare easily, though.

Mr. Ceballos: I know where to find you if I needed to. I try not to abuse that. Funny thing is: when I really need a bailout, you're always right there. Speaking of "vibes", though, I've got to know. Who is this [Marketing] Cakewalk guy?

You never see him; just tracks and some grainy footage, like the Sasquatch. I know this much: you guys let him out of his confines at upgrade/new product time. It's like 4 or 5 AM, and nothing's happening on the forums, then: BOOM! Suddenly this [Marketing] guy pops up, and checks out what everybody's saying. You try to "track" him, but he's light on his feet, and then POOF! Vanished. Like a ghost. Slippery lil' dickens.

It's starting to creep me out. Just a little.

Edit: Note to Self: F5, Tom. Remember: dialup, and Chad posted a reply in the meantime.
    I'd like to know more about this and this
    Finally! A pic that tweaks itself! If the SFZ Geek would hold still long enough, maybe I can catch a glimpse of what he's playing. Hmm ... center frame: soundcard, or pre-amp? I give up. Does anyone have any Airborne?

Looks like there's more getting cooked up than just the StepGens in my avatar ...
    post edited by b rock - 2006/02/21 17:53:03
    Rick McNab
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 19:19:01 (permalink)
    You guys are too witty and sophisticated for me. Nevertheless, B, please understand again that I TOTALLY appreciate what you are doing around here, and what I wrote was in NO WAY to be interpreted as ANY SORT OF criticism. Just maybe inspiring you to think about organizing and codifying a little bit more.

Re web space: Doesn't almost every ISP, even the cheap dial-up ones, offer free web space? What about a Yahoo Club or similar? In other words something where an interested student could access your tutorials, complete with rich graphics and MP3 examples, and not have to wade through comment after comment, many which have little or nothing to do with the topic at hand, and are just meant to be witty and sophisticated (again, something that appeals to me not in the least).

Not to say you of course wouldn't stay around these forums in the same manner you have. Just that interested parties would have a destination to access your tutorials in a focused, compact, organized manner for maximum efficiency in learning. And there is no reason that that service should not come with a fee attached. "After all, we're not communists..." (Quote from Godfather I).

Please consider it: A focused, organized, "begin at the beginning and work through orderly and deliberately" tutorial, complete with copius MP3 examples and rich graphics, hosted on a server (okay, a free server such as Yahoo! Groups) which would allow the user to focus only on the material at hand. Then if he or she wants to interact with the author and/or other users, he or she can either use the facilities provided by the free server (I know Yahoo! Groups has such a feature), or come back over here to the Cake forums where all the sophistos hang out!

Let me get Rapture, get excited about it, let me hear some MP3 examples of great sounds I can create by following your tutorial, and show me a couple of example graphics, and I'm looking at between $25 and $50 as a fee for the entire tutorial - the same as a book I'd be absolutely willing to purchase at Borders regarding same. In other words, why couldn't you be the author of "Rapture Power", just delivered in a non-hardcopy way? My wallet is ready!
    b rock
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 19:49:10 (permalink)
    what I wrote was in NO WAY to be interpreted as ANY SORT OF criticism. Just maybe inspiring you to think about organizing and codifying a little bit more.
    I never took anything in a bad way, Rick. You're right: the jokes dilute the message for those who are trying to follow it. And I need the feedback and perspective, because i'm the least organized guy you'll ever meet. Until it's time to go to work.

I'll thank you for your ideas, because it reminds me of what I'd really like to accomplish. Hey, 3-7 more guys like you, and Rapture's covered! Tell you what: I'll trade yours off for some feedback on the first drafts. Seems fair enough for a proofreading. Because, yeah, now I am going to try that whole patch approach. Maybe a .pdf with linked examples. I'll work out the logistics later.

You up for giving me the perspective from the reader's point-of-view?
    René
    RE: Enraptured 1 [The Pre-Release Edition] 2006/02/21 20:07:55 (permalink)
    Speaking of "vibes", though, I've got to know. Who is this [Marketing] Cakewalk guy?

You never see him; just tracks and some grainy footage, like the Sasquatch. I know this much: you guys let him out of his confines at upgrade/new product time. It's like 4 or 5 AM, and nothing's happening on the forums, then: BOOM! Suddenly this [Marketing] guy pops up, and checks out what everybody's saying. You try to "track" him, but he's light on his feet, and then POOF! Vanished. Like a ghost. Slippery lil' dickens.

I need to know that as well. I'll ask around, even when I heard that the last three who figured it out are now dead chicken.

You up for giving me the perspective from the reader's point-of-view?

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but in all seriousness, I would buy any b rock book about anything immediately. Soft irony embedded in behind-words lyrics is a mostly-american style I admire.

-René
    post edited by René - 2006/02/21 20:18:40
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1