Envelopes have no effect while recording

Author
phathouse
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2011/02/03 09:19:24 (permalink)

Envelopes have no effect while recording

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I haven't been able to find a reference to this particular issue.

I like to use outboard gear for my final mixes, which means the last step for me is playing back a song and recording everything into a new stereo track.  However, since switching to X1 I've found that my volume envelopes are being disregarded when SONAR is in record mode. 

Everything is fine during playback, and I can even see the values change when recording, but the actual volumes that I'm trying to change stay put.  Freezing the track has no effect.

I am able to get around this by bouncing down the envelope'd tracks, but this method can be pretty unwieldy with a large number of such tracks.

Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any information would be great!

Thanks! 

7 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 11:28:23 (permalink)
    SONAR has a long-standing bug that MIDI envelopes are not honored during a real-time bounce. Other than that, I don't know of any new issues with X1 in this regard. I just did a quick test with both MIDI and audio envelopes during conventional recording, and it all seemed to work as expected.

If you have a project that works in 8.5 and not in X1, maybe you can give a more detailed description of what you've got set up, and I can try to replicate it.
    phathouse
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 11:49:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

What I'm trying to do is ramp up the volume on a sustained note (in this case a tympani roll.)  I've got a soft synth open, the note is on the MIDI track, and the envelope is on the audio track.  This works as expected during playback, but not recording.  After messing around with it a bit more since my last post, it seems to be a problem only when the volume is going up; going down seems okay. 

Oddly enough, projects brought over from 8.5 seem to work.  Starting a new one in X1, regardless of the synth, seems broken.

Hope that helps!
    brundlefly
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 12:27:35 (permalink)
    Oddly enough, projects brought over from 8.5 seem to work. Starting a new one in X1, regardless of the synth, seems broken.

I just tested with a project started from a blank template in X1, since my original test was with a project started in 8.5, but it's still working okay. I used TruePianos with separate MIDI and audio tracks, and a volume envelope going gradually down to -INF and back up to 0dB over a couple of measures with a sustained note at the end so I could hear it swell instead of decaying. It recorded just as it played back.

I have to think something is amiss with the routing of your new project, and the new tracks are getting a pre-fader signal from the source tracks. What's the routing of the track(s) being re-recorded? Does the volume fader on the source audio track move in response to the envelope during recording?
    phathouse
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 13:05:59 (permalink)
    The faders move as they should in all cases, and the audio works properly as long as  the volume is going down.  If the envelope is an A shape, the sound will play at full volume until it hits the apex of the envelope, then it will ramp down as expected.  For what it's worth, I tried putting an envelope on a standard audio track and the behavior is exactly the same, so it's not an issue with soft synths or MIDI.

I did realize, though, that the problem only appeared after changing my PC - I forgot I'd actually done one project using X1 on my previous machine without this issue.  That file works properly on the current system.
    brundlefly
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 13:19:35 (permalink)
    the problem only appeared after changing my PC

A minor detail to be sure. 

Actually, I can't imagine how a hardware change would affect whether envelopes work properly or not. I keep coming back to the fact that old projects are working, and new ones are not. That tells me the problem is project-specific, and most likely a project config issue. But I suppose if this is a new PC that you don't have any pre-X1 versions installed to test whether X1 project opened in earlier versions work okay.

It just occurs to me that I found one bug in X1 a while back that could be relevant:

If a track has a mono send, and the track is muted or the volume is dropped to -INF, the send signal will not come back up when you unmute it or raise the level of the track back up. Could this be your issue?

phathouse
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 13:24:49 (permalink)
    Well, I think I've solved it - or at least found something that makes the problem stop. 

The only setting that I had changed from the old project on my previous PC was going from a MIDI-note metronome to the audio metronome.  Switching back to the MIDI one fixed the error.  Playing with it a little more, I discovered that just turning off the one measure count-in also fixed the error.

So, in summary - if your upward ramping envelopes aren't working in record mode, turning off your metronome count-in should fix it! 

Unexpected :-)  Either way, thanks for the help!
    brundlefly
    Re:Envelopes have no effect while recording 2011/02/03 13:34:47 (permalink)
    I discovered that just turning off the one measure count-in also fixed the error.

Dang. I should have thought of that. Yes, count-in screws up envelopes. IIRC, it's not so much that upward ramps don't work, but that they can be bypassed because of the way count-in offsets envelope timing.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1