Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2006/10/04 17:18:19 (permalink)

Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments

I'm enjoying reading the "Mixing Engineer's Handbook" but it also raises some questions...

In the Interviews section of the book, the various mixing engineers talk about their preferences regarding EQ settings for particular instruments.

In my situation, I use sampled drums and bass for my mixes from either my Roland JV-1010 hardware synth or other sources such as the Cakewalk TTS-1 soft synth.

I'm wondering if the same EQ principles (in the book) apply to instrument samples as they do to real instruments?

Are the samples already optimized to an "ideal" EQ and require little or no adjustment?

What's the consensus here?

Thanks.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

15 Replies Related Threads

boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 03:57:52 (permalink)
    Are the samples already optimized to an "ideal" EQ and require little or no adjustment?

Sometimes thay are and some are not, depends on the sample. The ideal situation is to get a dry sample as recorded, so you can start from there if needed. Most of my instruments in my projects are sample-based. For example the PMI Bosendorfer 290 has several options (wet and dry, Eq and non equalized) and I always use the dry samples. It's easier for me to make any required adjustments per the mix needs. In principle I do not like processed samples.
    Since any recording is depending on the rcording techniques, mic used, etc, I do not see any major differences between considering a dry sample-based instrument and a real one.
    I do not personally believe in "optimized" equalization of a sample since this is always mix dependant. A piano solo has to sound different than playing in the background in a jazz band.
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 05:00:12 (permalink)
    Dave,

I have the LA Drums sample/loop collection.

At first listen I thought the samples sounded a little to thick and woofy.

Now that I've been using them more I 'd swear they purposely left in as many key frequencies as possible to leave room for as much EQ'ing as you may need.

Now that I'm acclimated I've had some good success EQing what I need and they have really worked out well.

I guess I'm saying is these loops are optimized to leave room for you to optimize.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 19:17:46 (permalink)
    if the samples are realistically produced (recorded from an original source) then i expect you would use the same eq. now many samples have been pre-processed so you would need to use your ears to see if a "default" eq was called for or not.

like boten i really don't have much use for "optimized" eq but there are fundamental and resonant frequencies in each instrument which must often be tamed for the sake of the mix and usually the recorded track itself. i prefer to use a frequency analyzer to spot unruly frequencies and then i adjust them while listening to the mix since each mix is (hopefully) different and you try to bring out different things.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Dave King
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 19:34:12 (permalink)
    Interesting.

What do you use for a Frequency Analyzer?

Is there a plug-in available that you can insert in the Master buss to see the frequencies of the overall mix?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

DRUM JUNKIE
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 19:48:16 (permalink)
    I have to get in on this forum cuz the art of eq'ing is such an important topic, we all hear and know that everything comes down to the sound in question, but like Zungle touched on above, sometimes sampled instruments are recorded in a way that leaves room for eq but I have encountered many that do not and are hard to work with, the general guidelines on the eq for certain instruments is pretty accurate for both real and sampled, but just try to be aware with sampled instruments as I have encountered some sampled instruments that are processed too "good" lol and I try to be careful of doing too much eq'ing when it doesnt need to be done
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/05 21:05:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dave King

Interesting.

What do you use for a Frequency Analyzer?

Is there a plug-in available that you can insert in the Master buss to see the frequencies of the overall mix?

check out voxengo's SPAN plugin: http://www.voxengo.com/product/SPAN/

it's free and works great for my purposes. it pretends to do the k-metering system although i haven't been able to verify if it in fact does or just says so on the button. you can put it on the master bus but i use it on individual busses and tracks as well to check out any problem frequencies.

basically in addition to using my ears i try to get a flat frequency spread across the core frequencies of the instrument. a lot of dipping eq is flattening out fundamental and resonant frequencies that make the instrument sound cheap or clangy or whatever. using a frequency analyzer you can actually see somewhat where these frequencies are popping out.

on the whole mix i do the same thing but of course the spread is bigger, usually between 50hz and 10-12k, again looking for a fairly flat response.

ears are important too but using an analyzer is a good way to train them.

- jack the ex-cynic
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/06 10:06:03 (permalink)
    You can't really generalize about this. Sampled instruments might have already been EQ'd or compressed or effected and that will have a bearing on your final EQ treatment. Also, you might be trying to fit a sample to a particular song and need some additional EQ'ing to make the track work so it's really just too vague. Not all samples are created equally either. Depends on the producer and studio and recording techniques and whatnot (or the particular piece of gear you're using).

I will say this though - if you want a generalization - well-recorded, sampled instruments tend to need less attention and work than the real-life versions. Nine times out of ten they simply drop into place and away you go. That's been my experience anyway.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/06 11:42:40 (permalink)
    I have that book too. It is informative but when it comes mixing, everything is relative. When I read about certain EQ or compression techniques, I try to break them down and focus on what specifically they are trying to accomplish with those techniques. Then I can evaluate my own situation and see if and how I can apply the technique to get the desired effect.

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    metaprog
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 551
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/06 12:01:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dave King
    I'm wondering if the same EQ principles (in the book) apply to instrument samples as they do to real instruments?

It's impossible to "optimize to an ideal EQ," because the use of EQ is still going to be relative to the surrounding instruments, which of course cannot be predicted by the sample manufacturers. So even if they've done some EQ work, it seems to me that you can't avoid the question of considering what you need to do further.

DAW: Studiocat Core2Duo, Asus P5K mobo, 4GB 1066Mhz WinXP2 > Sonar 5.2 PE > Lynx 1 > VXP/GT Brick
    Mics: GT-66 / Guitars: Carvin DC400, Brian Moore i21.13, Ibanez JS1000, Morris W616, Rodriguez A, Takamine EG523SC-12, Peavey Fury bass
    Dave King
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/06 16:04:44 (permalink)
    Wow. A lot of great responses aond food for thought...

I'm gonna give that Voxemgo SPAN analyzer a try and see how it works for me.

Thanks!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Mr.Music
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/09 18:15:04 (permalink)
    Good quality samples should not need to much in the way of equalization other them blending the tracks together.

Techniques used for equalizing miked instruments will vary considerably from sampled instruments.

Also any guidelines in a book should be considered basic settings that of course will vary based on acoustics, Mic's and other variables.

My music is best understood by children and animals.

-------Igor Stravinsky
    yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/10 10:26:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: themidiroom

I have that book too. It is informative but when it comes mixing, everything is relative. When I read about certain EQ or compression techniques, I try to break them down and focus on what specifically they are trying to accomplish with those techniques. Then I can evaluate my own situation and see if and how I can apply the technique to get the desired effect.

I agree. Whenever you read some famous producer tell you "I almost always cut upright piano by 3dB at 8k" or whatever, keep in mind that there is a very good chance that this producer ALSO almost always works in the same studio, rents the same piano, and uses the same mics to record the same session musican on upright piano. And all those variables might be totally different from anything you're doing. Moreover, he may specialize in a kind of music that showcases warm, soft, midtempo piano sounds, whereas you might have a ragtime piano deep in a dense rock mix, and you may want your piano's upper presence plinkiness to really jump out out of the speakers.

I think the best way to use those kinds of mix-by-numbers "recipes" is use them as a framework for understanding why and how the producer/enginner made certain decisions.

Cheers.
    Dave King
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/10 12:31:03 (permalink)
    I think the best way to use those kinds of mix-by-numbers "recipes" is use them as a framework for understanding why and how the producer/enginner made certain decisions.

Good point.

I know one of the challenges I face when mixing is that I have a hard time determining if my tracks are fine the way they are or need adjustment. And then, what kind of adjustment would improve things.

I guess it all comes down educating yourself and experimenting.

I've seen Charles Dye's DVD and it was a little "over the top" for a project studio user.

What would be really cool is to analyze a really well-done song produced in SONAR and be able to compare the "before" (raw mix) and the "after" (finished mix) and see how the results were obtained.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Rinkwraith
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 543
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/10 12:45:18 (permalink)

What would be really cool is to analyze a really well-done song produced in SONAR and be able to compare the "before" (raw mix) and the "after" (finished mix) and see how the results were obtained.

That would be cool. What about it fellas? Any of you prepared to do this on your next track to teach us mere mortals something?

** Gonna pitch a wang dang doodle all night long **
    ** Eighty-eight keys, ten fingers... no problem **
    themidiroom
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1170
    RE: Eq-ing Sampled Instruments vs. Real Instruments 2006/10/12 10:00:06 (permalink)
    Sometimes, you can do everything "wrong" and come out with something that sounds great. In the end, it's about what sounds good.
    I tracked a guy playing congas recently. I ran two mics and assigned to bus 1-2 on my mixer. Well, I forgot to pan each mic channel so that one would be bus 1 and the other would be bus 2. Oops, but it turned out nice. We had to do additional conga tracks and I did it the "right" way. Didn't sound quite as good as the blunder

The MIDI Room
    We Make You Sound Great!
    http://www.themidiroom.com

Pro Tools HD
    Sonar Producer Edition
    Wavelab
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1