Helpful ReplyEquifax

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
henkejs
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 489
Re: Equifax 2017/09/11 21:06:52 (permalink)
drewfx1
The core of the problem is all of the supposedly personal information is widely known because we have had to give it to everyone repeatedly over a period of decades. It's a charade to think that information is secret or personal and thus somehow uniquely identifies anyone or can be safeguarded.

Agree. Think of how many institutions that should know better rely on a few basic pieces of information for access. I call the phone company with a question about my account: phone number, name, last four digits of my Social Security number. Or my credit union: account number, name, last four digits of my Social Security number. Add birth date, address, and mother's maiden name,  and you've covered just about every routine "security" protocol used to identify you. All information that isn't really secret to begin with.

A big part of the problem is how eager companies are to grant credit in the expectation they will make money off us. I can walk into a department store and get a new credit card in about five minutes. It shouldn't be that easy. But then, consumers would have to be willing to give up some of the convenience that comes with how businesses operate today. I'd be glad to put up with a little inconvenience if it made the system more secure.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 02:21:02 (permalink)
bitflipper
Personally, I think Equifax should go down for this. Out of business. Gone. Sued into oblivion.

The only thing that's going to happen, gentlemen, is that even more of the regulations that were supposed to help protect us on this and a whole spectrum of other somewhat related issues will be nullified.

I sincerely hope I'm in error, but I doubt that I am.
post edited by outland144k - 2017/09/12 12:28:01

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 15:56:09 (permalink)
bitflipper
When Social Security was first introduced, a lot of people were suspicious that it was a government plot to institute a universal identity card. So the cards used to say right on them "not for purposes of identification". They don't say that anymore.

mine still does (I have my original from 1970!)

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 16:17:21 (permalink)
bitflipper
Personally, I think Equifax should go down for this. Out of business. Gone. Sued into oblivion.

Of course, I felt the same way about Jack in the Box after they killed a bunch of people. Yet they remain.

My new next door neighbor works from home for Experian. He, too, thinks they won't survive this. One additional kicker that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that a couple of high level execs (C- and/or President-level) netted a couple of million dollars by selling off a bunch of their stock just before publicly announcing the breach.

Next level STUPID.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 16:39:54 (permalink)
  • You know your company's screwed
  • You know YOU are also screwed
  • You have lots of stock that will soon be worthless
  • You sell the stock before anyone else knows what's going on
  • You shelter the profit with relatives
  • You go to jail (aka Country Club confinement) for a bit
  • You come out about where you would have been financially, but your family is taken care of

I know someone who did just that.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 16:43:18 (permalink)
craigb
bitflipper
When Social Security was first introduced, a lot of people were suspicious that it was a government plot to institute a universal identity card. So the cards used to say right on them "not for purposes of identification". They don't say that anymore.

No, actually it was a government plot to institute an illegal multi-level pyramid scheme that benefits the early adopters and screws the later generations (like mine).  I've paid a ton in and, it's a good bet, there won't be anything left when I hit their so-called (and moving target) retirement age.

[conspiracy rant]
Almost makes me wonder if it wasn't someone in our own government that hacked Equifax so they can use the information against us...
[/conspiracy rant]

Bernie Madoff [sp.?] went to prison for the same thing that SS is.

Byron Dickens
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 16:47:27 (permalink)
craigb
  • You come out about where you would have been financially, but your family is taken care of

Reminds me of something - when I was in the sign trade we had a supplier of frames and boxes who knew they were going under. The last thing they did was to order truckloads of aluminium section from their supplier, cut it up and sell it for scrap, pocket the cash.

Talk about cynical.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 17:05:43 (permalink)
jamesg1213
craigb

Reminds me of something - when I was in the sign trade we had a supplier of frames and boxes who knew they were going under. The last thing they did was to order truckloads of aluminium section from their supplier, cut it up and sell it for scrap, pocket the cash.

Talk about cynical. being ethically and morally bankrupt.

Edited for accuracy. 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 18:57:50 (permalink)

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: Equifax 2017/09/12 19:06:58 (permalink)

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re: Equifax 2017/09/13 22:32:57 (permalink)
This is an appalling situation. One correction one can change their SS #. If you go to your SS office there is a way to do that. It was recently announced.   

Best
John
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Equifax 2017/09/13 23:29:41 (permalink)
Well, even more on the Equifax front, and none of it is good. Latest news comes from Argentina where they had a breach. Looked initially like about 100 victims (all employees) this time. But what is really scary - the administrator user name and password was 'admin/admin' (admin/password would have been my first guess).

But wait, it gets worse
"From the main page of the Equifax.com.ar employee portal was a listing of some 715 pages worth of complaints and disputes filed by Argentinians who had at one point over the past decade contacted Equifax via fax, phone or email to dispute issues with their credit reports. "The site also lists each person's DNI [documento nacional de identidad]- the Argentinian equivalent of the social security number - again, in plain text." All told, there were more than 14,000 such records, Mr Krebs said, concluding that the firm had been "sloppy".

More over at the BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41257576

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Equifax 2017/09/14 15:24:31 (permalink)
Hi,

Two things.

One. Some articles even suggested that a lot of the security thing was a problem with their servers using Apache, an Unix based operating system. Per my friend, a security expert and original Open BSD security modules person, the issue was not just Apache, but the quality of the folks working on the Operating System. Most of them were not qualified and not experienced enough to even work with Apache or any Operating System, having been brought up in a time that did not work with Unix a whole lot. 

Two. Equifax, is a CASH COW ... and owned by invisible huge companies that are simply collecting free money and they couldn't careless if anyone's information was given out ... that information can easily be acquired anywhere else on the net.

AND, of course, a Cash Cow is never wrong, and if it is, it was no real big deal (they will never admit any problems, because they hide them on a quick fix in Unix), because if it were, a lot more would be involved and a lot bigger issues would have taken place, and a lot more Federal Institutions would be involved in making sure that nothing else got hurt ... notice the bigger players in Microsoft, Apple and other institutions just laughed it off ... sort of like suggesting their systems are better and more secure. They are not any better or more secure, specially Microsoft that is too slow to resolve issues ... even had a rootkit in your system? ... right ... get ready to lose everything and redo your computer. No such chance or luck with Unix, unless it is administered by someone that does not understand the security levels that can be created and added to it. And a lot of Unix was already 64bit before Microsoft and anyone else, and the security was far better ... but it had work done by folks with interest in it, not Microsoft or Apple.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Equifax 2017/09/14 15:24:37 (permalink)
Hi,

(Dupe ... )

post edited by Moshkito - 2017/09/17 14:16:51

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Ham N Egz
  • Total Posts : 15161
Re: Equifax 2017/09/14 16:21:54 (permalink)
DrLumen
If you don't want to pay or go the hassle of a credit freeze you can file a fraud alert with the credit bureaus. It is free but it only lasts for 90 days. It does roughly the same as a credit freeze. I keep resubmitting about every 90 days. Supposedly, if you file a fraud alert with one, they send it to the other two automatically.

)

I just completed a credit freeze with all three companies either online or on the phone in less than 30 minutes(the biggest issue was eqifax crapping out and finding the correct phone number)

All three were free, no charge

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Equifax 2017/09/14 16:45:41 (permalink)
Ham N Egz
DrLumen
If you don't want to pay or go the hassle of a credit freeze you can file a fraud alert with the credit bureaus. It is free but it only lasts for 90 days. It does roughly the same as a credit freeze. I keep resubmitting about every 90 days. Supposedly, if you file a fraud alert with one, they send it to the other two automatically.

)

I just completed a credit freeze with all three companies either online or on the phone in less than 30 minutes(the biggest issue was eqifax crapping out and finding the correct phone number)

All three were free, no charge

I think the charge depends on what state you are in. Texas, for whatever reason, allows them to charge $10. Not that big of a deal but it's the principle of it. Paying to secure something that should never have been allowed out.

As to the Apache flaw, it was patched 2 days after it was found about 6 months ago. Equifax never patched their system though.

Another thing that is likely to happen, if equifax survives and I really hope the don't, is all the execs are still likely to get their multi-million dollar per year bonuses along with their lucrative golden parachute. IMO, there should be criminal negligence charges against the CEO and his closest minions and IT staff.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Equifax 2017/09/14 18:45:15 (permalink)
Yes, the break-in was made possible by a security flaw in Apache, specifically in support software called Apache Struts that's used to create websites.

What makes this look bad for Equifax is that Apache was patched two months before Equifax was breached, but the fix was not installed on the Equifax servers. 

Turns out, their Chief Information Security Officer's educational background is a Master of Fine Arts degree in music composition. No kidding. They put a frickin' musician in charge of all the secrets!

BTW, CISO Susan Mauldin's linkedin page has been taken down. I'm thinking Ms. Mauldin is exploring new career paths.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bitflipper
Re: Equifax 2017/10/16 11:36:43 (permalink)
This sums up the situation in an entertaining way. Are we angry yet?

My Stuff
craigb
Re: Equifax 2017/10/16 22:58:46 (permalink)
Thanks for the bump Dave!  It reminded me to freeze my credit with all three reporting agencies.  That's $20 (because Equifax was free) well spent I think.  Much better than something like LifeLock!

KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
Re: Equifax 2017/10/19 13:34:13 (permalink)
I just got around to freezing my accounts with the three players involved. I was expecting some major headache in the process, but actually it went quite well. Took around 30-minutes for all three and that was with being cautious, reading, and double-checking everything.

What surprised me was I wasn't charged for any of the freeze requests. $0.00 (unless I will be getting a bill at a later date. But nothing was mentioned during the freeze process.)

What also surprised me was that TransUnion and Experian sent me email confirmations of my freeze requests. Only our beloved EquiFax did not send any confirmation. Seems like this company need a major overhaul. In my view, that overhaul should be closing down shop, even if the government needs to step in and suggest.  

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

craigb
Re: Equifax 2017/10/19 14:25:01 (permalink)
What you have to pay is completely determined by what state you live in.  About half (like mine) charge $10 each, a couple have some weird amount, the rest (like yours) are free.

TransUnion and Experian (and, hopefully, EquiFuxed) are sending me confirmations through the post office.

KenB123
Re: Equifax 2017/10/19 14:58:42 (permalink)
bitflipper
This sums up the situation in an entertaining way. Are we angry yet?

Nice job by John Oliver. I especially liked the part near the end where he talks of the three companies making a lot of money selling this information to banks. His analogy with KFC (fried chicken enterprise) being we aren't the guy buying the bucket of chicken. Rather, we are the chickens in the bucket. Sad, but with big money involved this fiasco may be forgotten before long except by the profiteers in the equation.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

KenB123
Re: Equifax 2017/10/19 15:02:22 (permalink)
craigb
What you have to pay is completely determined by what state you live in.  About half (like mine) charge $10 each, a couple have some weird amount, the rest (like yours) are free.

I believe what you say Craig. It just seems so unfair how some states have to pay, others don't. More insanity.

bitflipper
Re: Equifax 2017/10/27 13:09:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Mitch_I 2017/10/27 16:06:24
UPDATE: the sleazy move by Equifax to force their victims to give up their right to sue was later rescinded. Not because Equifax suddenly grew a conscience, but because the Consumer Protection Bureau has a rule against that practice. You'll be happy to hear that our congress quietly struck down that rule last night, literally in the dead of night.

My Stuff
craigb
Re: Equifax 2017/10/27 18:21:14 (permalink)
bitflipper
UPDATE: the sleazy move by Equifax to force their victims to give up their right to sue was later rescinded. Not because Equifax suddenly grew a conscience, but because the Consumer Protection Bureau has a rule against that practice. You'll be happy to hear that our congress quietly struck down that rule last night, literally in the dead of night.

The opposite of pro is con so, by extension, the opposite of progress must be...

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Equifax 2017/10/27 23:04:00 (permalink)
bitflipper

Yes and I fired off a terse email to my Senator Cornyn so he could promptly delete it as unread.

"Of the corporation, by the corporation, for the corporation!"

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
bitflipper
Re: Equifax 2018/05/23 15:28:11 (permalink)
OK, we can rest easy now...the Equifax debacle will now be investigated by an ex-Equifax employee.

My Stuff
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Equifax 2018/05/23 17:00:04 (permalink)
Money people look after their own. 

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1