2007/02/15 22:08:47 (permalink)

Espressivo

This is an "acoustic," no-MIDI piece featuring:

Billy Jones - Brushes
Charley Langer - Soprano
Jeff Markham - Piano
Ed McGlaughlin - "Phatty" Bass
me - Guitar

These guys did such a beautiful job. I'm really pleased to collaborate with them. (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)

If you're interested, here's a .jpg of the chart (notice that we just called it "mellow" while we were passing the tracks around, 'cause I almost never name things!):

· Espressivo chart

And here's the .mp3:

· Espressivo

To save to your drive before playing (recommended), use this one:

· Espressivo
post edited by M - 2007/02/16 09:11:33

29 Replies Related Threads

ToneCarver
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1655
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/15 22:42:42 (permalink)
    M and team,

Very very nice work on this .. quite expressive as the title suggests. Sweet laid back jazz .. great clean piano (choice chord voicings), gorgeous soprano sax, bass is very articulate, guitar brings a nice almost flamenco flavor, drums so subtle but so appropriately filling and accenting the space. This mighe be a bit out there but I am getting a strong sense of a 3D 'shape' for each of the instrments .. each instrument brings a different but complementary color, shape and texture to the piece. (lol .. hope that's not too bizarre an explanation). You did a great job with the call and respond type of interplay between the instruments too - it sounds like a conversation to me .. good job everyone. Amazing collaboration.

Bill
    msharps
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/15 23:41:28 (permalink)
    This is absolutely awesome! First of all, the composition is over the top… I was immediately drawn into this piece and it brought me on a fantastic journey that I didn’t want to end. The performances are captivating and full of feeling… the musicianship is top-shelf.

One thing that struck me when I listened to this again was the amount of “space” that was left in the piece so that it “breathes”… it allowed the brush work to come through which gave it a wonderful sense of depth.
    The mix is warm, clear, and spacious… don’t touch a thing!

This had to be recorded live playing together, right? I can’t imagine maintaining the feel and timing that you achieved if it were recorded a part at a time.

Man, this is award-winning music… and an instant favorite of mine. Congratulations to you all!

post edited by msharps - 2007/02/16 00:03:22

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
    Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/15 23:58:57 (permalink)
    Rio Vista, huh?! Hey, we're practically neighbors! I'm just outside of Sac.

Actually, we did really try to make this sound live, but the only two of us who have ever met (to my knowledge) are Ed and Jeff. But, that's a tremedous compliment. Thanks!

msharps
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 01:00:49 (permalink)
    Rio Vista, huh?! Hey, we're practically neighbors! I'm just outside of Sac.

Wow, small world! I didn't think anybody would know where Rio Vista is. We moved here a couple years ago to plant a church... I'm a Pastor first, musician second :)

I really enjoyed listening to your music on your soundclick site. I’m looking forward to the release of your solo CD.

Actually, we did really try to make this sound live, but the only two of us who have ever met (to my knowledge) are Ed and Jeff.

It's amazing you all were able to get such a live feel without tracking together... this is a credit to the skill and talent of the musicians!

Michael Sharps

Sonar 6 PE; MOTU 8pre; Glyph GT 050Q 200GB External HD
    Dell Latitude D820 with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.00GHz, 4.0GB DDR2-667 SDRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD
    M
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1516
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 09:03:07 (permalink)
    ToneCarver - Thanks, Bill! Yes, I'm really happy with the conversational aspect of this. It's very much like a live performance, despite our virtual Internet collaboration. Thanks for your observations - 3D is good!

msharps - Hi, Michael! Kind words, thank you. The composition is really incredibly simple (did you look at the chart?). I'm really fond of just establishing a framework that provides room for the participants to create. You have to be somewhat atuned to what it's about, of course; and that's particularly evident in everyone's performances on this one, I think. Very intuitive and emotive playing, to me. I really appreciate these guys, for that.

As Charley points out, this one is not live, but multitracked in each of our spaces across the country (I'm east coast; Jeff and Charley (and Billy?) are left coast; Ed's our core midwesterner). Given the recording process, the very ending of this (the final bars after the melody has concluded) just came out great, to me. Everyone's comments are in just the right places, etc. I'm very proud of how it turned out.
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 12:00:55 (permalink)
    Hey M and collaborators,
    stunning track, wonderful playing, with a special "oh my goodness!" going out to Ed, sounds beautiful too.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 12:33:16 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Beautiful, first class all the way. That this was done an internet collaboration is stunning.

M, thanks for including a chart, what scale are you referring to when you write Emaj7(Harm.Maj)?
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 13:02:45 (permalink)
    Hi M,

Hard to find the words really....consummate musicianship, utterly tasteful voicings, warm and soulful playing, splendidly recorded and mixed......there, I gave it my best shot!

Superb (with a capital S).

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    AsherLongley
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 683
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 13:11:35 (permalink)
    M, This is very beautiful. The sound is incredibly crisp and clear.

I like the fluid call and respond between the sax and guitar. (Wow the sax is so smooth. Very nice.)

Your melodic minor crescendos are nice and resolve well.
    M
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 13:12:03 (permalink)
    opaque slogan - Thanks very much, both for listening and for commenting. Prop's to Ed, yes!

fep - Thanks for the kind words. We had a chord-scale discussion over at the Other Place forum where we got onto harmonic major, and I mentioned that I had an example of same (this piece). Anyway ... Harmonic major is a major scale with a lowered 6th degree; so, in E:

E · F# · G# · A · B · C · D# · E

I guess you could also argue that it's a harmonic minor scale with a raised 3rd degree, huh?

You'll note that the melody has that C natural throughout (even in bars denoted as Emaj7) to kind of force/guide the players to the intended sound.

For a representative chord voicing, you might play Ab/E, or similar. I think Jeff is playing B/E, but is including a C natural in the voicings.
    M
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 17:12:09 (permalink)
    jamesg1213 - Thanks, James! Tower says that's "Soul with a capital 'S'," but "superb" sounds good to me! We appreciate you listening. That's a pretty LP in your avatar!

AsherLongley - Is it Asher or Matthew? Regardless, thank you! Yes, Charley's outdone himself here, no? This is my favorite playing of his, to date -- even though I think he feels more comfortable on Alto sax. The call and response thing just came out great, I think. We just began with, "okay Jeff and I will play the melody on the head, with Charley answering; and Charley and Jeff will take the melody at the end, with me answering." And, there it was.
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/16 23:15:11 (permalink)
    ToneCarver - Yeah, that bass gets a really nice clean tone.

Michael - Right, this was layered up. M provide a scratch rhythm guitar track, I put the bass down, next came the piano to replace the rhythm guitar track. It was even done with click track, although we let

Nick - Thank you.

Frank - Those chord changes are great to play over, it allows of the modes to be explored. Really fun!

James, AsherLongley - thanks guys!

M - This is really a great tune, thanks for having me on board!

Jeff and Charley - great stuff!
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/17 10:43:15 (permalink)
    Yeah Ed it is fun to play around with those modes and M thanks for spelling out that scale. I've played around with that a little but didn't know the name of the scale. It was over these two voicings played one after the other as in your measure 2 - 3 - 4, (maybe you might like them on this tune)

E add 9
    String/fret
    1 / 0
    2 / 0
    3 / 1
    4 / 4
    5 / 2
    6 / 0

CMaj 6 and 7 / E bass (I'm not sure I'm naming that correctly, maybe the 6th is a 13th?)
    1 / 0
    2 / 0
    3 / 2
    4 / 5
    5 / 3
    6 / 0

Yeah there clangy, play all 6 strings, cowboy chords, but I like them.
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/17 13:07:35 (permalink)
    Simply a beautiful song from beginning to end, and the name describes it aptly. It is simple, but the expressiveness of each part is lovely to behold. Ed's bass was stunning. Each track perfectly delineated. Great sax, clean and distinct piano, wonderful sax. I've run out of superlatives for this great effort. I'd love to see you guys get together in Hollywood at the Baked Potato.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    hornplayer
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/17 13:53:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: M
    We had a chord-scale discussion over at the Other Place forum where we got onto harmonic major, and I mentioned that I had an example of same (this piece). Anyway ... Harmonic major is a major scale with a lowered 6th degree; so, in E:

E · F# · G# · A · B · C · D# · E

I guess you could also argue that it's a harmonic minor scale with a raised 3rd degree, huh?

I don't have a better name for that scale, but as I mentioned when we first talked about it, it strikes me as odd that the "harmonic" in "harmonic minor" comes from the raised 7th and not the lowered 6th. I guess "major harmonic minor" is a little weird too! Anyway, it was fun to mess around with.

airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/17 23:10:58 (permalink)
    M & Co - just wanted to tell you guys how much I enjoyed your creation; and thank you for sharing it with us!
    Peace, Heinz.

coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/17 23:49:24 (permalink)
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/18 01:01:28 (permalink)
    Good lord, that is fantastic. The first sax run scared my cat but we really enjoyed all of it. Great job everyone.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/18 10:01:59 (permalink)
    Great job all around guys...
    Couple things,
    Jeff's piano during the intro sounds kind of dark to me, missing some presence for his solo spot...
    Could be just me as I haven't worked with pianos much...
    Mark, your guitar, almost has a nylon quality, but also has a "direct" sound to it, what did you use and how was it recorded?
    Ed, Charley...scary stuff...
    Minimal drums fit perfect as well.

RLD
    Marko
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 364
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/18 22:30:47 (permalink)
    Excellent work everyone. The mix sounds great and the composition is relaxing with a lot of events present at the same time. I listened to this several times today as I watched the snow fall. Love your bass Ed.

Marko

P.S. I have to go shovel the snow.
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/19 06:21:57 (permalink)
    Hi M,
    outstanding performances by everybody....
    Jeff ...love your paino sound and playing on this song
    Ed, wow you pulled out all the stops and I'm loving it
    Charley , love the tone and phrasing
    M , nice composition and I happen to love the sound of nylon....
    Billy, great textures and such restraint ...wow.
    as a group you guy have a real Telepathic Approach ....
    I have to say the interplay is astounding.....

I used to love when Dizzy would introduce the members of his band on stage
    they would all get up and shake each others hands like they were metteing for the first time...........

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Simon Cowell
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/19 19:00:05 (permalink)
    Thank you gentlemen. You only made me vomit once today.

I loathe you.
    M
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/19 20:14:39 (permalink)
    My apologies, guys. Somehow I must've missed a notice that I'm enjoying more comments over here!

ed_mcg - Thanks for participating, brother Ed! You're obviously a very integral part!

fep - Them is cowboy chords?!?

mcourter -
    I'd love to see you guys get together in Hollywood at the Baked Potato.
    Me, too; but I think we'd need more material! Thanks for listening!

hornplayer - A rose by any other name, my brother! I always figured the "harmonic" bit referred to the step and a half between the 6th and 7th scale degrees -- as is characteristic of harmonic minor, right?

airmeki - Thanks, Heinz! We appreciate you listening! Thanks for the positive words.

coldsteal2 - Back atcha, 'steal!

marcos69 -
    The first sax run scared my cat but we really enjoyed all of it.
    OMG! Easily my favorite comment, to date! Frickin' sax run scared my cat!

RLD - Thanks for checking it out, Roger! It's a Celebrity acoustic-electric that I kludged up by putting nylon strings on. It actually records pretty well, I think. Jeff M. sent it 'cross-country claiming he bought it but never learned to play it.

Marko - Thanks, Marko! Sorry you had to go shovel! (I'm waiting for ours to melt!)

kennywtelejazz - Thanks, Kenny! Yes, I'm very proud of how nicely this turned out - particularly since it was an internet collaboration (vs. live). I like the nylon-string sound, too - which was a lot of the motivation for doing this. We have another one in the works. . .

Simon Cowell - Simon, my man! Thanks for checking it out. . . I think. . .
    post edited by M - 2007/02/19 20:36:20
    hornplayer
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/20 22:12:54 (permalink)
    hornplayer - A rose by any other name, my brother! I always figured the "harmonic" bit referred to the step and a half between the 6th and 7th scale degrees -- as is characteristic of harmonic minor, right?

Yeah, ok, ok, ok. For those of you who care...it's just that I tend to think of "major" as already "harmonic." In most Western music (baroque and later), the chord built on the fifth scale degree is a major triad at cadence points. Thus, the seventh degree has to be raised in a natural minor key. This is what led to harmonic minor -- it's the same as the natural minor, but with a chromatically raised seventh degree.

But M already knew this. He's just yanking my chain!

marcos69 -
    quote:

The first sax run scared my cat but we really enjoyed all of it.

OMG! Easily my favorite comment, to date! Frickin' sax run scared my cat!

And mine! I do have that effect on cats. And I don't regret it in the least. I'm a cat-lover -- can ya tell?? Why is it that when you hit a dog in California, you have to call animal control; hit a cat, and nobody cares? Now, my year-old daughter, Olivia, starts dancing when I play!

post edited by hornplayer - 2007/02/20 22:45:20

M
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/20 23:19:52 (permalink)
    Now, my year-old daughter, Olivia, starts dancing when I play!

Ooh, nice! You can't top that. My daughter cringes and goes, "Ick, jazz!" when I play. Our cat, however, doesn't mind.
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/21 02:03:40 (permalink)
    Daughters and sons usualy hate thier parents music, rebelion usualy but they come around
    later in life and you even find your kind of music in thier colections. They just hate to admit it.

I really enjoyed listening to such high class recording and music.
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/02/21 03:12:04
    M
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/23 12:23:42 (permalink)
    Thanks, Cliff! Appreciate it.
    AlesisM51
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 623
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/24 23:41:34 (permalink)
    This is terrible, just terrible. I mean are you guys ever going to post anything that needs to be worked on?

Ed, great Charlie Haden fat sound you're getting from your bass there.

Another great song from you guys. Thumbs up.
    Tombo
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 988
    RE: Espressivo 2007/02/25 13:41:54 (permalink)
    Beautiful peace with some soulful playing. Very classy.

I kept hearing an alternative to the nylon, though... for at least some parts, a fretless six-string bass, played upper-mid neck for those lines. Also, to my ears, sometimes the bass isn't holding up in this arrangement...it's not "big" or sonically potent enough to bear up under mids and highs—both of the latter much richer and somehow bigger to my ears. It's kind of like the bass is playing in another room or wasn't mastered with the rest of the mix or something. What do you think?

Nice work.

Best,

Mark
    post edited by Tombo - 2007/02/25 14:05:46

Broadjam.com*SoundClick

'It ain't what people don't know that hurts them, it's what they know that ain't so." -Josh Billings
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1