Evening--re-re-mix

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
DarinBad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Evening 2008/09/02 15:25:49 (permalink)
Janet, This mix sounds much better! Good job on this one.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
32 GB RAM
RME Fireface 800
Windows 10 Pro x64
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Evening 2008/09/02 16:02:04 (permalink)
Yeah... Morning.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: Evening 2008/09/02 16:25:25 (permalink)
I agree, much better! :-) I still would like to hear the drums come up a tad though.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
gdugan
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1118
RE: Evening 2008/09/03 02:39:45 (permalink)
Janet,

This is a very nice piece. I'd still like to hear the piano bring out the melody a little bit more. The other instruments seem to dominate it. Maybe delay the sweetening until after the piano has established the melodic theme.

Nevertheless, very pretty and well played.
post edited by gdugan - 2008/09/03 03:25:54
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
RE: Evening 2008/09/03 19:10:47 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

Kenny--thanks so much for stopping by to listen! I hadn't heard before that the bass player's supposed to be in the middle. I wish he would have told me! I'll move him closer to the piano. I'm glad you felt the emotion of the song. You more or less nailed what I was trying to capture. I think it's cool when we can 'play' what we're feeling.

Janet,
imo....w the bass up the middle ,
it's easier to keep the transients balanced between the L....R....levels

fwiw...getting the Bass to sit right in a mix always seems to involve a little bit of elbow grease & expermentation
on this song ,
I suspect that you might want to run the bass up the middle

depending on your vision , on your tune
you might be able to put the piano a little right or left w panning
same w the drums ....a notch or two to give you a believable sound stage that will work w your tune
all the rest of the jazz w panning can then sort itself out w ease

what I'm about to say ...might be a little too much info
...it is true for me ...nonetheless...& ....it's what I actually do

I go Stevie Wonder..over here to sort my panning .
I start by closing my eyes
getting on my knees (my monitors are now at ear level)
then while the song is playing ...
I will look for sweet spots in the instrument panning one track at a time w my eyes closed .....using the mouse
( btw ...all tracks are playing ...i just do eemmm one at a time w the mouse )

sounds a little coo coo ...I know ......

Sweet Spot Central is where i want to be w my tones and music

works for me

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

No How
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5180
RE: Evening 2008/09/03 22:07:07 (permalink)
Janet,

wow....you've got the levels where they need to be....You've been working hard.
It sounds even better then before. As Kenny said bass down the center aisle so it doesn't make heads wobble in earphones

It's a lovely tune indeed.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 04:29:20 (permalink)
Hi Janet,

I really loved this song and felt you did a wonderful job on it! I didn't get a chance to hear the mix that everyone helped you fix, but the one I heard just now seemed perfect and audibly heard on all instruments. I like the violin/flute counter melodies and think you did a great job there also. I also feel the instrumentation sounds you used are all great. Was that a real piano by chance? If not, you fooled me. :)

Subjective advice: Is there a piano flub at 0:11 on the lower notes my dear? :-Þ Sounds like something gets a bit cluttered there...whether it's the bass and the lower notes on the piano walking on each other playing different things, but something is definitely dissonant there. Give it a listen and solo up each instrument to see if you can hear what I mean.

I would probably pan out the violins a bit more as they seemed to be slightly centered when I listened, but they sound fine where they are. It's really tough to give opinions on other peoples creations. We all have different monitors, different ways of panning and mixing...it's really too subjective to say. But the only obvious thing I can say is what appeared to be a slight flub in at 0:11.

One other thing, again...subjective, I think the instrumentation you used is so big, the drums somewhat depreciate the sound because they are so small. Does that make sense at all? Granted, you don't want a huge drum sound going on here, but they seemed a bit small compared to the rest of the instrumentation going on here. I can hear them, they are doing their job well, they just don't have that same presence like the rest of your instrumentation. Make sense at all? It's like (and this is an extreme case and not quite what I'm hearing in your tune, but you will understand me better saying it this way)...if you would have used a casio piano sound on this instead of the great piano you did use. The casio would just sound small and not as realistic as what you did use. I feel this way about the drums. They don't sound bad, they just don't seem as big and realistic as the other instruments, that's all. :) But I really enjoyed this tune and think your mixing skills are fine, honest. Great job Janet!!! I'm gonna listen to the other stuff you have on that page now because I'm curious to hear what else you have up your sleeve. ;)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
thepogue
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2458
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 06:31:13 (permalink)
As stated great playin and very cool song!
Mamabear
  • Total Posts : 8954
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 08:06:48 (permalink)
Kenny--thanks for stopping by again. I haven't had time to work on this song again lately, but I'll definitely tell the bass player to come closer to the piano. And I appreciate all the detailed ideas about panning, etc. Any and all ideas are welcome and helpful!

Rick--thanks for listening again. The encouragement's always welcome!

Danny--no kidding about that note at :11! I was listening last night and thought that whole synth thing in the beginning sound really odd. I don't know what happened at :11 or why I didn't hear it before. Thanks for pointing that out. I hear quite a few notes that I'll probably change now that I'm listening to it away from my DAW. As for the drums--I don't know what happened to them, but I can't get the volume up for the life of me. What I have now is 4 cloned tracks just to get them up as loud as they are! I've got to do some more digging to find out why. And no, it's not a real piano--just the first one in the list of DimPro pianos. I'm glad it sounds realistic! I know there are better samples out there, but this software acquisition thing seems to be a deep hole! LOL. Anyway, I really appreciate you listening and commenting. I count it a high honor coming from you!

Tom--thanks so much. I feel like I've got such a long way to go on all this stuff--even playing. An 'atta girl' helps keep me going!
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 08:09:46 (permalink)
Very nice song and that mix sounds great too. Wife loved it.

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 08:14:23 (permalink)
Thanks Rob, and tell your wife thanks too!
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 09:39:38 (permalink)
Hmm Janet, that's very strange on the drums. You shouldn't have to clone 4 tracks. Would you mind telling me the steps you did to create them and turn them into audio? That's if you'd like to try and solve that problem of course....I wouldn't mind helping if I know the answer. :) It's not that they weren't loud enough, (though I know you must be struggling with level if you had to clone them like you said) it may be the sounds themselves just not being big enough or realistic enough to support your other instrumentation. This of course is just an opinion, so please don't be offended by anything I ever say. :)

If you are boucing your drums from midi to audio manually, maybe you're not getting enough output? I have this problem myself. I'll explain it to you and you can see if any of it applies to you, ok? I use Roland V Drums on a pad kit that I play. When the midi is all done and my mistakes are fixed, I then bring in BFD2 drums. When I have everything the way I want it, because I'm such a control freak, I literally bounce the drums down to audio. I can't use slow bounce or fast bounce because there is an issue with BFD to where it cuts off cymbals and it will cut off the last note of the midi track as well. So I have to send BFD to various outputs on my soundcard which play into a Mackie mixing console. As I check out my levels on the audio tracks that are being created when I just press play, I seem to be getting a hotter signal than what is truly being recorded. So if I go with what my Sonar meters are telling me, the drum tracks print to audio at about -15 to -20dB. So I have to ignore the Sonar meters only in this situation and pump everything up until the actual wave file looks right, there is no clipping and the wave file is no hotter than -4 to -6dB. If I relied on the meters in this case, (my meters work fine for everything else but this for some odd reason) my drum tracks would be very low.

Another thing you may want to keep in mind is to pull the rest of your instrumentation down. I like to send my recording signals into my soundcard at -6 to -4dB at all times. As I create tracks, this of course is going to make my master fader have to come down because of the track count making more over-all gain due to all the extra audio. So I try to turn all my track faders down to where they send to the master bus at about -2dB or so. I try to leave the master bus at 0 unless I have to slightly adjust it a few dB here and there, but for the most part, all my track faders are well into the negatives when I mix a song. So if you are at 0dB or higher on any of them, maybe try to decrease them all by about -5dB for starters and see how you master fader looks output wise. Keep the master as close to 0 as you can, and tailor your tracks to not go over -2dB on your master bus. I go for the -3 to -2dB output so I can have a little headroom to master. Some guys need more headroom than that, but I actually pre-master within my mixes so I usually don't have to master or tweak too much after my final export.

If anything I may have said here totally lost you, please feel free to ask me. I don't mind explaining a bit more in full. But try some of this stuff and see if it makes a difference at all. Let me know how you make out with it, ok? Good luck and again, great song! :)

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/04 12:26:48 (permalink)
Thanks for that explanation, Danny. I've been surprised that not very many people have mentioned the drums. I'm just using Session Drummer 2 and didn't do anything to each individual sound. (perhaps no one mentioned specifics because they're hardly audible!) Anyway, it will probably be a few days before I can go looking around to see what's wrong with the levels on them. I appreciate the help with the recording levels. I struggle with getting things loud enough yet not clipping, etc. Also, you have a point about the drums not being 'big enough.' I totally understand what you mean now. Drums are still really new territory for me (as is everything about this but playing the piano!) and I'm anxious to learn, but it's coming slowly. I do appreciate your help and I'll ask when I get stuck again!
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/05 20:47:25 (permalink)
OK, I was finally able to get back to this song. If you could care less what I did, you obviously don't have to read this or even listen to the song! But if you do, here's what I remember doing:

The drums were so low because I had them going to a bus, and the input & output volumes on the bus were low. Don't ask me why. I'm just glad I figured it out. What you hear now is just one track of drums. I also panned them a little bit. Probably not right, but a good guess.
Bass is in the middle now.
Piano is panned off to one side. Center stage was getting crowded.
I changed the sample of the violin to one from GPO. I think it sounds better than the ones from DimPro. Thanks to Cliff for mentioning that.

I mixed and uploaded it 5 times tonight, so I won't be surprised if it's not the last. But I'll totally understand if you've listened to it enough already!
mose
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 513
RE: Evening 2008/09/05 21:20:39 (permalink)
Wow, great mixing. I really like the way the piano leads the song with the other instruments supporting it. Nice job. I had to listen to it 3 times.

www.soundclick.com/russellmosemann (Electronica flavored ear candy)
No How
RE: Evening 2008/09/05 22:53:55 (permalink)
Janet,

It is getting more and more polished like a diamond. Sounds lovely. My comments are about puny things like maybe strings could be more opposite piano (more right side). It really sounds smooth and lovely.

s o n g s

Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/05 23:48:53 (permalink)
Thanks for listening again, Rick! I could switch the violin and flute but that might seem lopsided too. Here's what I have now, left to right:

violin (65%), keys (31%), bass (1%), drums (2%), synth pad (31%), flute (65%). Should I switch the flute and violin, or would that create the same problem?

Glad you liked it Russell. Thanks!
No How
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 00:28:13 (permalink)
Man oh, man (woman, oh woman) this is really lovely!

check with others but i would push that synth pad up a teensie-weensie on the right side.

Love it.

s o n g s

DarinBad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 06:45:24 (permalink)
Your perseverance is certainly paying off Janet. In my opinion, you have two dominating instruments here: The piano and the violin. Right now they are both on the left side of the mix, competing with each other. I would move the violin to the right side so that both the piano and violin have there very own place in the mix. So yes, switch the violin and flute. I would also run the bass and drums straight up the middle. This is getting really close, so keep at it!!!!

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
32 GB RAM
RME Fireface 800
Windows 10 Pro x64
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 10:17:07 (permalink)
OK, Darin, violin and flute switched places and the drums and bass are exactly in the middle. Thanks to you and Rick for listening again! I do appreciate it! (Rick, I think the synth pad is up a teensie-weensie bit too. Any more and it starts to sound muddy or something.)
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 10:42:11 (permalink)
Hey, Janet - mixing is never DONE, is it? We just decide sometimes to move on...

this one definitely sounds better than the last mix. the only crit I have left for this is the overall volume of the song. for songs like this with these instruments I wouldn't overcompress like commercial CD's, but a touch of compression, or limiting AFTER you've got your levels done like you have them might help this out a little.

I like to create my mixes so that I am happy with the levels of the song before I ever put a compressor or limiter on the master bus. make sure that it will stand on its own without a limiter that way the mix gets done correctly first. I make sure nothing is too overpowering in the mix and make sure the final level on the master bus is never more than -3dB at the peaks. THEN I'll put a compressor or limiter on the master bus and bring the final values up to approaching 0dB. for a song like this, however, I'd bring the final value up to near 0dB, but I'd go EASY on the RATIO and give it a fairly high THRESHOLD.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 10:44:11 (permalink)
Thanks, Reece. You might have to rephrase that in English for me, though. Or like you would talk to an 8 year old.
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 11:18:09 (permalink)
Ok, well, first, mix the song without a compressor or limiter on the master bus, so that you can watch the levels on the master bus.

then after you've got it mixed so that (without compression or limiting) you've got your peaks on your master bus no greater than -3dB

THEN add the compressor or limiter (I'd recommend only a compressor on this type of instrumental) and use a very low level compression. you don't want to overcompress this type of instrumental - you want very full dynamic range, so you only want to compress enough to tame some of the peaks and bring the overall volume up to near 0dB.

was that better? or did I loose you again?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 11:19:09 (permalink)
I follow you now. Thanks!
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 12:56:48 (permalink)
Sounds good, but I'd like to see it pumped up a bit more? (volume maximized). But the overall mix does sound much better!

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
No How
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 12:58:35 (permalink)
Hi Janet,
I haven't abused you today soooooo........violin sounds much better panned right BUT...(ouch)

flute is right on top of piano....what would it sound like if you panned the flute maybe 55% or 65% one side or the other? I'm saying this cuz it's getting lost, at least on my monitors it is.

everything else is spendid.

s o n g s

Mamabear
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 13:32:47 (permalink)
OK, now that I know what a compressor is and where I need it, I think I finally got the volume up on this thing. Thanks, Reece!

Rick, the flute is 71% to the left. Check your monitors. I did turn it up a tad though. Maybe that will help.

Robby, I hope this is loud enough.

lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 14:17:55 (permalink)
This has turned out quite well Janet! Sounds sweet! I know what it's like to get caught up in 'mixing Hell' as well. I think this sounds darn good. Just remember, you could spenad all year tweaking a mix and I guarantee that if you walk a way for a few days thencome back, you will always find something that doesn't sit quite right. The nature of the beast. Don't beat a dead horse here!! On to the next tune then...

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
rolifer@verizon.net
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1676
RE: Evening 2008/09/06 14:41:09 (permalink)
Janet

If you know this already, than sorry for wasting your time.

It seems like some of the notes in the flute (?) would sound better if played legato. You do this by adding cc 64 which is sustain and overlap the notes a little. Just don't forget to turn off cc 64 or the note will keep playing.

This piece is getting better and better.

Ron
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
RE: Evening--re-re-mix 2008/09/06 23:41:34 (permalink)
Mamabear,

I must have missed this the last time I was here. Very pretty song and, while I didn't hear your other mixes, the current one sounds pretty good to me. I do have one small suggestion, so don't kill me: violin and flutes seem to play notes that are pretty high up there. In a few places, I felt that they went too high and it sounded a bit unnatural. Otherwise, this is the best mix I've heard of yours, so you are really getting the hang of it.

I read Danny's comment on the drums sounding small, maybe the drum bus could use some PerfectSpace?

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1