Author
Philip
Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4062
2012/04/16 23:15:25 (permalink)

EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland

(Formerly, "Broken Everyday"): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7142766
For the faint-of-heart ... pining for love and salvation: 6 minutes

Dedicated to James Yeomans (AKA, Factory-Yoyo, Hammertoe) ...

Brief Story:

James tinkered with this song several years back.  He re-wrote, produced, and performed in his 2 unique spontaneous versions of this:  a "Pop" version and a "House" version.  His 2 versions inspired me exceedingly ... to try to integrate or emulate his phrases:  His 'magical' bridge hook, his bashy-beatz, his astonishing vocal emotives and heart ... all these were missing from my original novice production. 

In sum, I ended up either integrating or emulating much of his excellence and re-performing most sections.
Finally, I requested Danny, who (by God's grace) completely immersed himself in the song (see below) ... to 'perfect this to the uttermost'. :):):)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Written and re-Produced by:  Philip
Choirs: -- Yoyo-Choir, Danny-Choir, That Heavenly Choir, EWQLS-Choir
Lead Vocal: -- Philip
Bkg Vocals: -- James, Danny, Joy, Josh, Caleb
Groove and Beatz: -- James and Philip
Bass Guitar: -- Danny
Lead Guitars: -- Danny, Philip
Rhythm Guitars: -- Danny, Hannah
Instruments: Toontrack's Beatstation, Beatscape, Superior Drummer 2, EWQL SO, Hollywood Strings, Ministry of Rock: -- Philip
Co-Producer and Mastering House: Danny

Some helpful UAD lead vox plug-ins: Studer 800 tape, VOG bass enhancer, Fairchild comp, Lexicon Reverb automation

(All comments, questions, and crits are welcome!!!)

Philip  
(Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501

29 Replies Related Threads

mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 04:57:47 (permalink)
    Lashings of the great Philip smothered all over this heavenly song. You know i have been a huge fan of your music over the years Philip, and i hope i haven't missed out on any of your compositions during my hiatus, and i'm so glad i got back in time to hear this.

I don't know how you get them sounding so Big, So loud and so excellent. I envy your talents my friend.

Fantastic production as usual.

Best
    Mark.
    foxwolfen
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8256
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 07:03:22 (permalink)
    Hehehe, I remember this song. Was fun then, and is still fun now.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 09:48:33 (permalink)
    This is a fun song.  The production is superb.  It feels like a stage production number.  Love the vocal and background vocals too.  Great job everyone!

Rimshot

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 09:56:16 (permalink)
    Wow, big, big production on this. I especially like the chordal arrangment of the choirs. Dont think this cant be appreciated first listen since there are so many part to it (like bohemian rhapsody eh?!?!).

Great work men,

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 10:00:25 (permalink)
    Yes I remember this too, but not like this... this is a wonderful collaboration... and a masterful production... Very impressive...
    Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 12:13:57 (permalink)
    Very cool, unique, and creative.  It sounds huge on my monitors.  I couldn't always make out the lyrics, but that's my only nit.  Well done.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/17 19:55:43 (permalink)
    Now that was fun!  Whole lotta talent involved here.  Which  Danny?  I haven't heard the "Heavenly Choir" for a while.  I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 15:39:13 (permalink)
    I honestly have trouble remembering what I did vs. what was in the original vs. where it is today.

I know that Danny's bass and guitars are great additions, and that bass sound is just so phat and punchy. DD, mind sharing how you recorded it? And I give you major props to take Philip's quirks and mainstream them without reducing their effectiveness.

The quiet breaks are a great idea, especially with the beat changes.

Funny thing is: my vocals actually sound good, and I sincerely doubt a few years later I could do it again. I recall it took me about five minutes to do the layered bits (right before I was going out to dinner!), and perhaps in that spontaneity there is always something good. 

Those vocal runs at the end are ethereal.

Overall, I believe it remains your masterpiece of Philip-ity.

Well done, gentlemen.

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 19:11:38 (permalink)
    Sure is cool when great talents come together like this. I don't know what to say as this song, production and performances are so over the top, there's really nothing in particular to latch on to. Except, maybe, that it IS a meeting of the minds and talents of you guys. It's clear in the delivery that the summation pf the whole is so much more powerful than any individual contribution. 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 21:12:11 (permalink)
    This version does sound much better.

"pining for love and salvation" From what I hear, our Secret Service is pining for Love and Salivation?

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    bandontherun19
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 21:17:48 (permalink)
    How was that wistling effect achieved on the lead guitar there at 5:40?

----------
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 22:36:29 (permalink)
    Killer orchestration, somewhat Freddy Mercury in a good way.  Some impressive mixing for sure.  The choir is killer.  The guitars punchy and everything fits together so well.  I'm suitable extremely impressed!

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    bandontherun19
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 22:45:27 (permalink)
    It's the kind of mix and performance we all strive for...

----------
    Just Another Bloke
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 861
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/18 23:26:26 (permalink)
    Phillip,

I'm not fan of overt Christian songs but that aside, I found the melody too crowded.

I think your vocals are bit one dimensional but at least you are carrying the tune. But I'm pretty one dimensional in my vocals too.

The bass was the best thing about this whole song. It was just about the only thing I could really grab hold of.

Congrats on finishing your vision though and you certainly had some top drawer help.
    post edited by The Bapu - 2012/04/20 22:37:29
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/20 07:28:57 (permalink)
    One word:

Awesome!

String Jammer
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/21 07:47:48 (permalink)
    Thanks all: Scotty, Bapu, Rob, Daryl, Timidi, James, Warren, Lynn, Notnat, Cian, Rimshot, Shad, Mark, and all you other listeners.
    As many of you know I've been graced to work with top-drawer artists and performers, not a few. I consider you all (specifically each of you commented) the most excellent and gifted ... faithful to your callings.
    IMHO: While songs become invariably a war of souls ... for love, joy, and/or peace ... I'll never understand why movie producers recruit so many commercial talents and producers ... that don't even compare to you all.

-- Hahahahahah!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/24 07:18:56 (permalink)
    i remember this song, great work from the heavenly choir and augmented by the two genii of this forum. gotta say i'm not sure if the electric guitar works all the time, mix is awesome though. anything from your pen is awesome though Philip, keep it coming!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/24 12:09:26 (permalink)
    Well this a veritable melting pot of styles, but it's all pulled together beautifully. I could imagine this in a stage production, or even a Disney movie. Bright, cheery and fun!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/24 15:57:35 (permalink)
    wow - this must have been fun to mix!! Good stuff
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/25 23:45:59 (permalink)
    Philip,

I listened to this a couple of days ago and my initial reaction was this is pretty cool.  I was trying to pay more attention to all the little details, but alas, my family kept entering the studio and hanging out; interupting my intense listening pleasure.  Good to be loved I guess.  Anyway, I finally decided I would just down load it and listen on a nice quite dog walk when I get a chance.  I worked to late tonight, so hopefully tomorrow night. 

I just wanted to let you know that I liked what I heard so far and I am anxious to try to pick out everyones parts and contributions.  Your work is always so unique and seems to spark creative ideas in myself.  More later if I get a chance.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/26 14:27:23 (permalink)
    excellent gentlemen!!!  I love the choir ahs!  man that bass is smokin, my fingers hurt just thinking about Danny playing that fast!!!

love everything about this!  very cool all!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/26 23:44:50 (permalink)
    Amazing how such varied production elements gel together so cohesively.  Love the bass and guitar work.

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/26 23:50:34 (permalink)
    your masterpiece of Philip-ity.

Agree, what an excellent piece of work Philip.  For me this was sort of like a cross between Bohemian Rhapsody and Sgt. Pepper.  Pepperish in that such serious lyrics have such a whimsical jolly feel to them through out the producton.  There is just so much cool stuff going on that every listen brings another discovery.  James and Danny do a superb job with all of the background vocals.

What really pulls this whole song together and acts as the foundation and glue is the brilliant bass playing by Danny.  Wow, incredible bass playing and tone.  The bass is steady, clear and consistant all the way through...and transfered extremely well to my iPod and head phones. 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/27 04:09:46 (permalink)
    Hi, Philip,

Wow what a splendid collaboration of three of the best producers on the forum!

This is a very cool sounding mashup of several genres and excellent performances, wrapped up into an elaborate theatrical style production that is certainly worthy of the new modern Broadway style musicals.  Fantastic playing, great vocals, an spectacular job on the mix.

Truly outstanding work by everyone involved, great job, guys!
    Bob
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/27 08:13:38 (permalink)
    Thank you all for the kind words on my parts. One thing you have to know about Philip...he's a sample genius. Meaning, he can take things I or anyone else plays and transform them into something way different than what you started with. He will then hybrid synth type sounds in along with what you've done. He's a master of file manipulation and had a grasp on this better than anyone I know.

Once you give him your tracks he can actually make his synth sounds copy your tracks to where there are times where he flies in the fake stuff and you can't even tell the real stuff is gone. So though I played bass on this entire track, I'm not so sure you're hearing me all the time because some of the parts I hear are not parts I played. Then again, Philip is also a master of cutting up samples and using them in the most unique ways. So I can't take much credit for anything in this tune other than my ears to help him mix it and work on the instruments as well as the mastering. All the rest is James and Philip at their best. Thanks guys. :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/04/29 22:44:34 (permalink)
    Sounds like a fantastic piece of work by some fantastic guys.  I also especially enjoyed Danny's bass and guitars.  

Great collab, Philip!  
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/05/01 02:59:03 (permalink)
    Since we both have songs called Everyday up at the same time, of course I have to listen.

Ok how do you get high without you know??

You took some my advice and added some more crazy pitched shifted voice.

Man I thought you were American but this has so much British flavour it's scary.

See what you have done is mix Madness and Paul McCartney.

And underneath I bet there is some christian message, isn't there?? I'm not knocking you, you know that but I get the subliminal message, esp the psychedelic choir bit.

Man genius, I love the mad tunes you put up, they are at once in your face and subtle, that my friend is true art and genius.

I know I will have to listen to that again.

Love Neb

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/05/03 22:27:50 (permalink)
    Wow, what a huge production!  Nice performances all around and a very cool tune.  Love the airy feeling to the vocals. 

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:EveryDay: That Heavenly Choir, Factory Yoyo, Danziland 2012/05/07 05:35:12 (permalink)
    I've always loved all your work!....some of my fav!! And you got the heavy hitters to come in and make this ace!! WOW' great work!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1