Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices?

Author
57Gregy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14404
2018/05/05 15:36:37 (permalink)

Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices?

Looking for an audio interface for this Win 10 64-bit computer Will probably get the MOTU Express, eventually, but came across a Roland Octa-Capture in the local pawn shop for a good price.
Reviews online were good, but do you have any experience with them and would you recommend them? It seems it's been around for quite awhile.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 

9 Replies Related Threads

rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/05 16:27:43 (permalink)
    I have a quad capture that I use with a laptop and it works fine. It's solid at 64 samples on win10 64 bit, ASIO, with SPLAT and C/B.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/05 17:26:27 (permalink)
    I used an Octa-Capture for a long time.  Liked it until I had a problem and contacted Roland.  It developed a problem with the Headphone output.  The Headphone jack is on a small separate circuit board.  I replaced the headphone jack but that was not the problem, it was something else in the circuit board.  But, Roland won't sell that board separately they will only sell a set consisting of the main board and the headphone board for $298 but they don't stock it, they would have to order it from Japan.  That "sealed the deal" for me and I sold it to a person that didn't need the headphone out and could still use it.  That was the second "zap" by Roland.  They killed my Roland/Edirol Keyboard by not supporting Win 10.  Roland will never get a third chance.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/05 21:50:06 (permalink)
    I’d go with a new MOTU rather than an older second-hand Roland interface if the budget allows it.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    57Gregy
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/06 14:53:30 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    I do prefer new when it comes to electronics, but I'm itching to try out the new CbB to see if it's "better". It will be another month or 2 until I can get the MOTU, depending on whether I want to eat. 
    I will try to practice patience.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.

Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/09 03:09:34 (permalink)
    Using an Octa-Capture and I love it.

The Pre-amps are excellent
    Eight mic pre-amps, all with XLR/TRS Combo jacks and phantom-power capability.
    I love the Octa-Capture’s Auto-Sens function. I always use it to adjust the leveling for my Mics.
    Terrific low-latency performance wit hthe Octa- Capture.  Never a drag in the vocal while recording singes, they all can hear the headphone mix perfectly. and the Octa Capture has built in delay for the singers ears while recording vocals.

Great Features and great results. 

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/09 10:44:27 (permalink)
    Jesse G.  As I mentioned I liked the Octa-Capture and its features.  Just don't have a hardware problem with it. 
    The latency was low but my MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid, that replaced the Octa-Capture, is lower and has most of the features the Octa-Capture has, plus.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/10 03:45:01 (permalink)
    fireberd
    Jesse G.  As I mentioned I liked the Octa-Capture and its features.  Just don't have a hardware problem with it. 
    The latency was low but my MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid, that replaced the Octa-Capture, is lower and has most of the features the Octa-Capture has, plus.

Well Firebird,

I hope I never have a problem with it, because I would hate to not receive support. 

Motu, however, is a great company for support.  I have a Motu Microlite, and once day after having it for three years it would no longer connect to the USB 2.0 ports on my computer. I contacted Motu and explained the situation to them and they sent me another one and had me ship my Micro Lite back to them in the same box with a supplied return label.

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    HeatherHaze
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 334
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/14 06:14:52 (permalink)
    In one of my bands, I use a Duo-Capture connected to my iPad on my keyboard rig for live gigs.  I mainly use it to send MIDI back and forth between my iPad and keyboards, but occasionally for other purposes as well.  In another band, I use it to play high-quality instrument samples via WX5 wind controller through my iPad.  It is rock solid and sounds great. I tried another interface but went back to the Roland for its simplicity and reliability.  I've also used it on my DAW when I was having issues with my main interface, and I was very impressed.  Low latency and good sound.  I also appreciate the fact that it can run on batteries, although I've found they don't last long. 

At one time I also had a Quad-Capture, which was also a high-quality unit.  I thought I would use it with my laptop for live gigs, but then I started veering towards the iPad.  Unfortunately, the Quad-Capture was not compatible with iPad, so I wound up selling it.  It was an excellent interface, though.

)-|-( HeatherHaze
    http://heatherhaze.com/

"This will be our reply to violence: to make music more intensely, more beautifully, more devotedly than ever before." ~ Leonard Bernstein

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Studio One 3.5, Cubase 9.5
    Intel Core i7  8700, 32Gb RAM
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    V-Studio VS-700
    Slate Raven MTi2
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    ...and a whole bunch of other stuff.
    57Gregy
    Re: Experiences with Roland XXX-Capture devices? 2018/05/16 18:01:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Jesse and Heather.
    I think I'll wait for the MOTU, but thanks for the input.

Greg 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1