Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Dorozhand
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2006/10/28 18:56:11 (permalink)

"Export Audio" grayed out

Hi, all - I'm a noob here.

I'm using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 and have been using it for about 6 months. (It's a hand-me-down from a relative.) I've been using the Edirol HyperCanvas and have had great success exporting the audio to wav files.

But there are certain sounds that I need, so I bought them for my soundcard, an Audigy Platinum, as soundfonts. They work great in the jingles I write, but the File/Export/Audio option is grayed out. I've tried changing the audio options to 16 bit, and 41.1KHz, but no export. I'm having to record them to wav files by playing them and recoding them into Goldwave.

Any idea why the audio export option is grayed out??

35 Replies Related Threads

rbowser
    Max Output Level: -10 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6518
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/28 19:18:48 (permalink)
    You know you don't need to export audio but can just bounce to tracks inside the same project. Exporting is usually for when you've done a mix of a multi-track project and want to store the 2-track separately.

Sounds like you know how to bounce or export MIDI files using the Edirol. It should be the same procedure for sound fonts: Select the MIDI track with the data, and while holding the Ctrl key down, select the associated DXi audio track, making sure you have the area in the time line you want, usually the whole project. Then choose bounce or export.

That's what you're doing when you try exporting?

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Roland A-800 MIDI keyboard controller
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    Gigabyte Technology-AMD Phenom II @ 3 GHz
    8 Gb RAM 6 Core Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    with dual monitors
    daveny5
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/28 22:31:24 (permalink)
    (It's a hand-me-down from a relative.)

Sorry, but hand-me-down software is illegal.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 01:11:49 (permalink)
    It's not so clear to me that "hand me down software" is illegal. If a relative gives me a hand me down DVD, should I refuse it, and instead go buy a new copy from a store since that disc was intended only for the original purchaser?

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 04:29:59 (permalink)
    Surely a gift can't be illegal can it?!
    boten
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 05:27:15 (permalink)
    If the software hasn't been installed on any other person's system yet, then it's legal
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 07:32:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rbowser

It's not so clear to me that "hand me down software" is illegal. If a relative gives me a hand me down DVD, should I refuse it, and instead go buy a new copy from a store since that disc was intended only for the original purchaser?

Randy
    rbowser

According to the EULA of all Sonar products (at least all that I have seen or heard about). Once you install the software and agree to the EULA, then that software belongs to you exclusively and you cannot transfer it to anyone else even in a will. Once you (the one installing and agreeing to the EULA) decide you no longer want that software, it cannot be sold, given away, transferred, portions given away, nothing. Nada. It's yours forever. (yes, that means you are not allowed to sell OR buy CW software on eBay if it has already been installed on a machine somewhere, even if never used!)

In the USA. Some countries have specific software laws which prohibit this form of licensing and if that software is sold in that country, then the EULA does not necessarily apply, but that's a big, tricky legal mess.

Regardless of that, though, the EULA, I believe, is still the same no matter where CW products are sold (or what language is used) and the user who is installing that software has to AGREE to the EULA before continuing with the installation, so if that specific user, no matter which country he/she is in, agress to the EULA, then that specific user should be bound by his/her decision/actions at the point of installation no matter what.

NOTE that this is specific to CW's EULA only. Cubase allows users to transfer their license for a fee and I don't know about other DAWs.
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/10/29 07:57:39

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 08:24:10 (permalink)
    you cannot transfer it to anyone else even in a will.

I'd love to see them enforce that one.

Let's say my uncle dies, leaves me his comp which has CW installed on it. Now he's the only one who has agreed to the EULA - I haven't, so I'm doing nothing wrong by using it. What're they gonna do - hire a necromancer to resurresct the old guy, with a lawyer waiting in the background to sue him as soon as he opens his worm-eaten eyes?

This would be the fist contract (other than the sort that you sign in blood, selling your soul to Satan, kinda thing - you know - the kind Dick Cheney musta signed at some time) that would be enforceable past the death of one of the contractees.

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    daveny5
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 09:15:59 (permalink)
    If a relative gives me a hand me down DVD, should I refuse it, and instead go buy a new copy from a store since that disc was intended only for the original purchaser?

No, because when you buy a DVD, it doesn't say its illegal to transfer it, only that its illegal to copy it and distribute it. When you buy Cakewalk products, the license clearly says non-transferable.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 10:56:18 (permalink)
    Good post, Mac

To install software, one has to check off the "I agree" box on the pages of fine print there in the agreement box. I could have agreed to give the company my first born as far as I know, since, like most people, I don't read that contract. Legally, of course, it's a "binding contract" once it's been "signed."

But there are people who get a smug kind of charge out of following ever rule and law that exists, and enjoy being unofficial junior cops, by busting other people for their sinful infractions. I'm happy to say I'm not one of them.

It's absurd to think of refusing to accept the gift of software which has already been registered by someone else. I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it.

Why I should feel fiercely loyal in this particular way to companies that make money from re-packaging the same technologies over and over again just so they can have more sales--is beyond me.

This reminds me of a copyright question that constantly comes up in the theatre world. Technically, it's illegal to videotape the production of a play, because the theatre has signed a contract which includes the section:

"...All rights, including...video or sound recording, all other forms of mechanical or electronic reproduction, such as CD-ROM, CD-I, DVD...are strictly reserved..."

In other words, community theatres break the law when they videotape their shows so participants can have a copy. Yet virtually every small theatre in America does exactly that.

If some self righteous s.o.b. wants to bust a theatre which tapes their shows, they can call the play's publisher and blow the whistle. And that happens.

But meanwhile, I've talked with the legal reps of play publishers and their attitude is that forbidding theatres to make a video recording for their records and for their casts is impossible to enforce. And they don't Want to enforce it. They're not in the business of wanting to fine theatres, of shutting theatres down. To them, it's a gray area of the copyright law which they know can't be legally changed but which is absurd to worry about. They say that if the tape is strictly for people involved in a production and not being sold to the public, then they will Gladly shrug it off. But the point is--even such "archive" video is technically illegal.

Without acknowledging that in reality copyright laws and their enforcement have many gray areas, then we'd have to insist that photocopiers be removed from public libraries. Those machines are sitting right there in every library in the country, and 99% of the time, users are illegally photocopying copyrighted works. The library staff just smiles and goes about their business while visitors grab books off shelves and copy pages to their hearts content. Everyone knows that it wouldn't be a fruitful situation in which to get literal with the law.

But watch, some conservative jackass could make a big stink out of it and go to the Supreme Court demanding that libraries remove their photocopiers. With the way people seem happy to hand over their freedoms nowadays--I actually wouldn't be surprised if that Does happen.

If someone hands me a copy of Any software which has already been registered but which I could use of, as I said, I don't have an "inner boy scout" who's going to tremble at how it's going to be an >gasp< illeeeeeegal act.

Child of the '60's. So I'm a rebel. Arrest me, go ahead, and make yourself look foolish.

Of course, it's impossible to use most modern software which has already been registered. The companies have closed the loop holes pretty well, with the registration keys, CD keys, secret code emails etc--As we can see from the Forums, legit buyers even have trouble getting their software to install sometimes.

So, Mac, I'm with you. If my uncle dies and wills me registered software that I'm able to use, I'm going to use it. Holding up that long, boring list of legal agreements I'm supposed to be bound to just makes me yawn.

IMPORTANT CAVEAT:---I am not saying I approve of bootleg copies of software. That's a real problem and is in the categories of theft and forgery. I suppose with attitudes as liberal as mine about copyright, bootlegging is one of the unfortunate results. But I'm not my brother's keeper, I can only speak to what I am comfortable or uncomfortable with.

Gray area--that's where the truth always lies, as it does in considering copyright laws. But then, this country has pretty much become a nation of people who don't like the ambiguities of gray-area thinking--hence the black and white thinking mode of our leaders and the millions who swear them allegiance while young men die needlessly in an insane war and the country sinks into its own self-righteous quagmire.

---steps off soap box---

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    daveny5
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 11:18:15 (permalink)
    The bottom line is: if enough people steal Cakewalk's products and they go out of business, then the people like me who have been paying for the products and the upgrades year after year will be the ones who lose out. You can rationalize it anyway you want, but the bottom line is: its stealing. If it was YOUR livelihood at stake, you wouldn't want your music or other products stolen, but since its someone else's livelihood, you're willing to look the other way. If it wasn't for the people who justify their stealing, we wouldn't have to have copy protection schemes that make it more difficult for the paying customers. Cakewalk's products are quite reasonably priced (well, maybe not the upgrades... I'm still using Sonar Producer 4 because I don't want to pay $179 to go to version 6, but that's my choice). The only way they'll stay that way is if enough people buy them.

I'm a child of the 60's too, but I grew up.

Dave
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 11:48:15 (permalink)
    Just a matter of common sense really - I agree that if you were to copy discs & sell them to your friends & family then that's theft, but surely if, say for example, I installed HS4 on my daughter's lap top, I don't really think there's any 'theft' from Cakewalk going on there.

I doubt if there are many of us who haven't made cassette tapes & CDR's of albums for our nearest & dearest, it's never going to bring the music industry crashing down.
    rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 12:30:09 (permalink)
    Dave, I sincerely mean this---it's good to see you so passionate in a post. Usually you so quietly and effectively answer questions succinctly, and it's appropriate. To see more of the human being who is Daveny, feeling strongly about something, is good to behold.

Nothing is simple and straight forward for me. Definitions, categorizations--they've never been so clear and black and white as they seem to be to a lot of other people.

I have a hand-me-down computer which had some software on it, non-music programs. I feel I would have been a moronic capitalist pawn to have felt I couldn't use those programs, but instead should have un-installed them and bought new copies.

Some "children of the '60's" don't just grow up, they Give up. There's a big difference.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    brzilian
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 788
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 12:41:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: daveny5

The bottom line is: if enough people steal Cakewalk's products and they go out of business, then the people like me who have been paying for the products and the upgrades year after year will be the ones who lose out. You can rationalize it anyway you want, but the bottom line is: its stealing. If it was YOUR livelihood at stake, you wouldn't want your music or other products stolen, but since its someone else's livelihood, you're willing to look the other way. If it wasn't for the people who justify their stealing, we wouldn't have to have copy protection schemes that make it more difficult for the paying customers. Cakewalk's products are quite reasonably priced (well, maybe not the upgrades... I'm still using Sonar Producer 4 because I don't want to pay $179 to go to version 6, but that's my choice). The only way they'll stay that way is if enough people buy them.

I'm a child of the 60's too, but I grew up.

Its because of people like you that lobbyists representing big corporations can get governmet to pass ridiculous legislation like the DMCA.

Enjoy your regulated, DRM'ed, copy protected life where you have no rights as a consumer and basically get milked for every dollar you own. Enjoy the bug ridden products with a complete lack of support from the content provider who is completely un-motivated to do any better because all laws are on their side and can continually demand you upgrade to the newest mediocre product with more bugs because they have your life in the palm of their hands controlling your every move and crippling it at their whim should you slip for legitimate reasons.

I, on the other hand, will fight for my rights as a consumer and commend Dorozhand for not listening your ignorant and very naive point of view of how the world works.
    post edited by brzilian - 2006/10/29 12:59:30
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 14:05:30 (permalink)
    When Dorozhand's relative installed the software, he promised (by checking the 'agree' box) to abide by the licencing rules which were part of the package he bought. Sure, one piece of software is negligible, but it is still theft.
    Cakewalk sold him the program with the agreement that he wouldn't pass it on to others. So now he's screwing CW out of a few hundred dollars that they've earned, that they could put into developing a better program for the rest of us. Like Daveny said, if everyone did this, those of us that actually paid and like this company would be out of luck, due to CW going under!

And Brzilian, you're not "fighting for consumer rights." You're fighting for a free hand-out. Nobody forced you to buy this product. The beauty of free enterprise is that you can do what you like with what you have. If you don't like Cakewalk, you can buy Cubase (which you said you did). You were able to make that choice because of the consumer rights that you haven't had to fight for. What you don't get is the justification to criticize the services of a company you refuse to support!
    And don't knock big corporations. Most employ thousands of people, who by being employed, have the ability to buy things to better their lives: HomeStudio, a house, a sofa, medical insurance, a beer...
    Think of everyone that works for a large corporation - if they weren't employed, they may have to rob you to survive. How would you feel then?

ps. You don't actually consider Cakewalk a "big corporation," do you???
    post edited by Slugbaby - 2006/10/29 14:36:19

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    macflooze
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 15:23:24 (permalink)
    When Dorozhand's relative installed the software, he promised (by checking the 'agree' box) to abide by the licencing rules which were part of the package he bought.

Existential question for you - when Dorozhand's relative UN- installed the software, is he still bound by those terms, since there is no longer any record anywhere that he agreed to them? A contract that no longer exists is pretty unenforceable.

Sure, one piece of software is negligible, but it is still theft.
    Cakewalk sold him the program with the agreement that he wouldn't pass it on to others. So now he's screwing CW out of a few hundred dollars that they've earned, that they could put into developing a better program for the rest of us.

Sorry, have to disagree with you there.
    It may be breaking the EULA, but it's not theft.

Theft would be if the relative kept his copy AND copied it for someone else, ie buys ONE copy and makes/distributes 2 (or 3 or 100). Theft implies an illicit gain by the thief. If the relative GAVE his copy away, and is no longer using it, where is the gain? - in fact there's a LOSS to the relative, balanced by a GAIN to Dorozhand, and a NULL impact on CW's profit

If you buy ONE copy, and that ONE copy is all that exists, then nothing has been stolen. Cakewalk have been paid their purchase price for ONE copy, and no-one is out any money. Only ONE person is using that copy.

Whether you stick to the EULA terms (or even read them) or whether those terms are legal and enforceable or even make sense, are separate issues from theft.

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 15:23:34 (permalink)
    Reality check--Who is going to say, "Gee thanks for offering me your software program, dear uncle of mine, but the only right thing to do is pay several 100's of $$ I can't afford for a new copy." They'd have to be pretty hard-core brainwashed consumer types to say that--of course, we do have Quite a number of those in the country. So strange.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Beagle
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 15:23:56 (permalink)
    I don't think I could have said it better than Slug, and I agree with what he has written.

Again, everyone has a right to their opinions, whether those opinions are right or wrong. The bottom line is that TECHNICALLY it is illegal to transfer the license by any means because whoever installed the software agreed to that license wheny he/she installed it. Does CW care about this ONE license - I seriously doubt it. In fact, they might even look the other way on individuals with older software hand-me-downs because that might lead to future sales.

But it IS illegal according to the EULA. And whether or not anyone is a rebel child of the sixties makes no difference what-so-ever. It makes no difference whether you are FOR or AGAINST DCMA. It makes no difference whether you want to be an "unofficial junior cop" (sic) or whether you want to raise your intelligent finger to the Supreme Court over copyright rules. The person who agreed to the EULA is legally bound by it. Even if they don't ever get caught breaking that agreement, they are still agreeing to a legally binding contract.

And Randy - I am not trying to pick on you specifically and do not want to start a flame war again. And this has nothing to do with your stand on the subject. But you really need to curb your language. It is not allowable in the forum.

Slugbaby
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 15:38:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: macflooze
    Existential question for you - when Dorozhand's relative UN- installed the software, is he still bound by those terms, since there is no longer any record anywhere that he agreed to them? A contract that no longer exists is pretty unenforceable.

I'd think the terms would still be binding for as long as his software exists. Whether or not there's a record of the agreement, he did agree. You're right in that it's pretty much unenforceable, but when you give your word, sticking to it is something to be proud of. If he didn't want to agree to it, he could have sent back the software with a note saying "your BS agreement isn't worth the money - give me a refund."

It may be breaking the EULA, but it's not theft.

Theft would be if the relative kept his copy AND copied it for someone else, ie buys ONE copy and makes/distributes 2 (or 3 or 100). Theft implies an illicit gain by the thief. If the relative GAVE his copy away, and is no longer using it, where is the gain? - in fact there's a LOSS to the relative, balanced by a GAIN to Dorozhand, and a NULL impact on CW's profit

There IS an illicit gain - Dorozhand got a free copy of the software - there's the gain! The relative didn't "lose" anything - he gave.

Randy, honestly I can't say whether or not I'd turn it down, but if I took it, it'd still be theft. The Agreement Contract stipulates that you're promising not to pass on the product. It's a one-payment, one-user deal, the one user being the person that used it first. It may be nit-picky, but that's what he agreed to when the first owner installed it.

post edited by Slugbaby - 2006/10/29 15:57:40

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 15:51:57 (permalink)
    It's the same old story as it always has been and always will be. There are people who think in black and white, and others who mature enough to know that kind of thinking is the root of all conflict.

Go ahead and accept the gift of software from someone, and torture yourself thinking you're a "thief" if that's the way you want to treat yourself. I suppose if we were living in pre-Civil War days, you'd have to think you were a criminal if you were involved in the freeing of slaves, simply because it was legal to own slaves?

Beagle, --"...Again, everyone has a right to their opinions, whether those opinions are right or wrong..."--Oh man, do you have any idea how--weird that statement is? What do you think the word "opinion" means? That's scary---You're obviously saying there's only one "right" opinion in this or any argument. brrrrrrr.

'...But you really need to curb your language. It is not allowable in the forum..."

I have no idea what "language" you're talking about. All I know is you are absurd to tell me how and what I can post. Who made you the arbiter of what can be on the Forum? The sanctimoniousness of that comment is laughable.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Slugbaby
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 16:07:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rbowser

It's the same old story as it always has been and always will be. There are people who think in black and white, and others who mature enough to know that kind of thinking is the root of all conflict.

Go ahead and accept the gift of software from someone, and torture yourself thinking you're a "thief" if that's the way you want to treat yourself. I suppose if we were living in pre-Civil War days, you'd have to think you were a criminal if you were involved in the freeing of slaves, simply because it was legal to own slaves?

I'm pretty far from a black/white thinker!
    I'm not morally chastizing this guy, I've done much worse, haven't we all? But it's a black/white issue - the agreement said something, he agreed, he didn't follow through.
    As for the seriousness of using "grey, not quite pirated" software, I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it!
    A lot of rules should be broken, I'd never argue that - especially with that example (killing flies with a sledgehammer are we???)!

ps. I drive too fast on the highway, and only sometimes wear a seatbelt! And I've been known to play a Gmajor right after a Gminor!

post edited by Slugbaby - 2006/10/29 16:26:26

Beagle
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 16:08:42 (permalink)
    Once again, randy you have missed the point of my message. It seems every time you get passionate about something that you tend to do that. I will not get sucked into this bashing again this time. I will post one more clip from the CW forum TOS, then I will not post again on this thread:

Profanity
    We encourage users of all age groups and beliefs, so please refrain from using offensive language.

If you still don't understand what language I'm talking about, please re-read your threads above. This is what I got so upset about last time and you never seemed to understand then, either.

macflooze
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 16:11:17 (permalink)
    There IS an illicit gain - Dorozhand got a free copy of the software - there's the gain! The relative didn't "lose" anything - he gave

So excactly who in this scenario is the thief?
    Can't be Dorozhand - accepting a gift from a relative is not theft.
    Can't be the relative - giving away for free an item that you have paid for is not theft (But is breaking the EULA)
    No thief - no theft.
    How is the gain part 'illicit'? The person who gained has not at that point made any agreement with CW. The person who DID make the agreement has showed a LOSS on the transaction. There is no 'illicit' gain, The only 'illicit' act has been the breaking of the now non-existant EULA contract.

And furthermore -
    Reality check--Who is going to say, "Gee thanks for offering me your software program, dear uncle of mine, but the only right thing to do is pay several 100's of $$ I can't afford for a new copy

He CAN'T say that, because he has not yet had the opportunity to view the EULA, AND even when he has read the EULA, he can agree to it with a perfectly clear conscience because it's the RELATIVE who's breaking the EULA, not the OP Dorozhand, (who is perfectly within his rights and is breaking no EULA in receiving and using the gift)

To quote Boten's original point which started this -
    Sorry, but hand-me-down software is illegal

That's only partially correct - handing down software IS against the EULA. Receiving and using a gift of software is not 'illegal', because the recipient has made no agreement with CW that he will not use 'hand-me-down software'

Railing at Dorozhand in this thread is picking on the wrong guy. Get the relative's name and write to HIM (Yeah right!)

( And Randy, while I do agree entirely with all what you're saying about grey areas, and black and white laws etc - technically the other guys are right - if you make an agreement, if you're honorable, you'll stick to it, or refuse it. But that was the guy who ain't here - the RELATIVE (the cad!).
    My point (if I haven't belabored it enough already) is that the Software's RECIPIENT, the OP, never broke any agreement, is doing nothing wrong, and is free to use the program (like he needs us to give permission!))
    post edited by macflooze - 2006/10/29 16:43:22

Pmac
    ToneZone

rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 16:29:00 (permalink)
    wow--and all the recent contributions to this thread since my last one, just underline how CRAzy all this fuss is. I suspect it's triggered something in all the participants much deeper than this one topic.

Beagle, twice now you've said you don't want to flame--you don't want to get sucked in--then you keep doing just that. Pal, I Don't know what has bugged you and it's as if you think I should automatically psych out how you feel. You're right, I don't understand, and what I especially don't understand is why you think you need to come on here as if you're a Cakewalk moderator--Stop, you're embarrassing yourself.

Slugbaby[/b]--"...And I've been known to play a Gmajor right after a Gminor!.."--But that's a very cool chord progression! YAAaah!

Let's all go back to our registered, officially sanctioned copies of our software which we would rather DIE over than share, and get on with making more music.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    macflooze
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 16:43:39 (permalink)
    I suspect it's triggered something in all the participants much deeper than this one topic

Yeah, but it's been a valuable discussion. I think the only disagreement between us all is where to draw the line between giving an intellectual property holder the tools to fight what we call 'Piracy', AND how much we're going to allow the corporate culture to dictate to us what we can do with what is essentially OUR property (a fairly purchased copy of software) (regardless of how the EULA is worded.)

I think people are conflicted that something so innocent and harmless as giving away no-longer-used SW to a nephew can be a matter for possible legal action - certainly makes me uncomfortable - but we did all (however unwittingly) sign the agreement that makes this a reality - and that makes me very uncomfortable. BUT if you're honest, you stick by your word, that's your bond.

Pmac
    ToneZone

rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 17:12:21 (permalink)
    Nice post, that last one, Mac.

I would suggest that we all have to "agree" to many things we don't actually agree with, just to get On with things. I'll "agree" to stand up and sing the National Anthem at a baseball game even though I think the song's a crock. Better to "agree" to the singing of it than get tackled by rednecks during the game. And that isn't being hypocritical. In my heart I know what I mean.

There's really no need to feel "very uncomfortable" about having been forced to agree with something you really didn't agree with. You Have to push that button to install the flippin' software. It does not make you a horrible "dishonest" person to then proceed under your own steam, giving away the program you paid for if you want, burning it, flying it up a flag pole. Only if you give up your right to use your own brain and use Reason as opposed to blindly following ANything simply because it's been pronounced "the law" will you feel guilty.

Back to HS.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    macflooze
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 17:25:35 (permalink)
    There's really no need to feel "very uncomfortable" about having been forced to agree with something you really didn't agree with
    Not quite what I meant - nobody forced me, I could've taken my business elsewhere (and maybe will, on my next upgrade).
    What makes me very uncomfortable is the fact that we ALL read that contract, basically giving away our right to do as we please WITH OUR OWN PROPERTY and STILL all signed it. (Or didn't read it and signed it nevertheless, which just replaces wussiness with stupidity! (that would be me'n'you))
    Sometimes I feel like we just don't deserve the freedoms we were born into.
    post edited by macflooze - 2006/10/29 17:57:22

Pmac
    ToneZone

macflooze
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 18:05:58 (permalink)
    Oh and Beagle, speaking of legalities - are you paying the estate of Charles Schultz royalties for your use of his intellectual property as your avatar?

(kidding, kidding...)

Pmac
    ToneZone

Beagle
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 18:08:13 (permalink)

LOL!
    post edited by Beagle - 2006/10/29 18:24:50

rbowser
    RE: "Export Audio" grayed out 2006/10/29 18:22:47 (permalink)
    HEy that's a good question! OK, c'mon now, Beagle--You ARE paying royalties to the Schultz estate, riiight??

That would make about as much sense as what we've been talking about here.

Mac--I could have been more clear earlier. What I'm saying is that you WERE forced to agree to whatever that gobbleydeegook is in the Acceptance window. You've bought the software, you want to get it on your machine--you have NO choice but to say, "yeah, right, um hum, whatever--may I go make music now please?"

After you've been coerced into agreeing to something you may not toally agree with, I'm saying there's no reason to feel strange or Guilty --that would be totally accepting The Rules as they've been given to you. That would be obediantly "guilty" according to Them. And one of our basic rights as adult human beings is to Stop accepting The Rules. It's a hard lesson though, and most people never get there. Many people would rather run to join organizations which can Tell them how to think rather than figure Anything out on their own.

"...didn't read it and signed it nevertheless, which just replaces wussiness with stupidity! (that would be me'n'you.."

No no no, we weren't idiots for signing what we had no choice about. We Do deserve our freedoms, despite the way conservative yahoos in this country are working to take them away.

As a child I had no CHoice but to say The Lord's Prayer in school--can you believe that? But even though my choice was taken away, I was strong within myself, and at peace inside myself knowing that I know what I really believe--despite whatever they're forcing me to say or do.

Gee--can you tell there's an election coming up? Blue and Reds--here we go again. Please, oh please compassionate Universe--save us from the insanity.

Randy
    rbowser

Sonar X3e Studio
    Alesis i|O2 interface
    with dual monitors
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1