Export Option: "As Played"

Author
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
2016/10/11 10:27:34 (permalink)
5 (1)

Export Option: "As Played"

"Entire Mix" as an export option isn't always what we think it means. If you select a clip, then export Entire Mix, you may only get that clip exported as a result. 

Could we add "As Played" as an option for exporting? That way, regardless of what state any selection, muting, routing, etc. is in place that may alter what Entire Mix results you get, As Played would export what you'd hear if you simply click Play on the Transport to listen to the mix. No confusion, no extra keystrokes necessary.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.

8 Replies Related Threads

gbowling
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 315
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/11 10:51:16 (permalink)
    brconflict
    If you select a clip, then export Entire Mix, you may only get that clip exported as a result. 

Actually you "WILL" get only that clip exported. 

It took me a while in the beginning of learning sonar (which was a long time ago) to figure out what happens with "export" but now that I have it figured out, I like it. 

It will export what you select. or if nothing is selected, it will export "what you hear." and it always respects mute and solo, so if you select a muted track it doesn't get exported.  

This allows great control over what you want exported. If you select "none" it does just what you want it to do, exports what you hear when you hit play. 

However, many times there are things at the end of the song, beyond the "real" end of the song. Or sometimes I put something at the beginning, a count in or something, so the "real" song doesn't begin until beat 2:01. Most of the time, when I'm totally finished with a song, I put in automation on the master to fade to 0 at the end of the song. 

So to get a final export of the song. I can select from the real start of the song (maybe 2:01), through the point where the song is faded to 0. This gives me an exact export of just the song, without any intro length or extra length at the end.

Also, I sometimes export parts for other musicians, maybe just a drum and rhythm guitar mix to send to the bass player. It's easy, just select the required tracks and export. 

It all provides for a very flexible way of exporting just what you want. But it does require some learning and understanding of how it works. 

gabo

VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/11 11:12:05 (permalink)
    I like the simplicity and clarity of "As Played". That way I know that what I am hearing in the mix is what I'll hear in the exported audio file.

I know well enough how to get what I want, but I've made mistakes by accidentally selecting something or the wrong range etc. it's annoying to discover this after the fact.
    brconflict
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/11 23:53:53 (permalink)
    gbowling
    brconflict
    If you select a clip, then export Entire Mix, you may only get that clip exported as a result. 

Actually you "WILL" get only that clip exported. 

It took me a while in the beginning of learning sonar (which was a long time ago) to figure out what happens with "export" but now that I have it figured out, I like it. 

It will export what you select. or if nothing is selected, it will export "what you hear." and it always respects mute and solo, so if you select a muted track it doesn't get exported.  

True to the function, but not intuitive to what "Entire Mix" would mean to most people. Hope that clarifies my gripe.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/12 07:47:47 (permalink)
    +2 (2)
    If I had START and END markers for export/bounce I would be really happy

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

VariousArtist
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1397
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/12 08:21:42 (permalink)
    BobF
    If I had START and END markers for export/bounce I would be really happy

+1
    Agreed. It would be nice to have these be the default when you don't select any particular time range
    brconflict
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/12 16:05:50 (permalink)
    +1 (1)
    Perhaps a Time-Range checkbox with auto-populated (by the yellow loop marker locations) fields for Begin and End times could be separately added to the Export dialogue so it appears as an option regardless of what tracks to export.

So, you'd go to the Export dialogue. Select the type of mix--"As Played" in my wish list, "Entire Mix", or whatever. Then check a new checkbox for Time-Range. By checking the checkbox, you'd see two fields open up (Begin and End) in whatever time format your Selection Module shows. The Begin and End times would be auto-populated with the current times shown in the Selection Module, or whatever the last time was. If no Time selections were ever used, the Entire project length is used. This would certainly help with projects that aren't fully trimmed for a Start and End time.

I like this idea!!

Brian

BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/13 18:57:45 (permalink)
    I want specific markers for this purpose.  Worrying about range selections is what I want to avoid.

Dedicated markers combined with "What you hear when you start playback" would be a great combination.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Export Option: "As Played" 2016/10/13 22:51:04 (permalink)
    brconflict
    Perhaps a Time-Range checkbox with auto-populated (by the yellow loop marker locations) fields for Begin and End times could be separately added to the Export dialogue so it appears as an option regardless of what tracks to export.

So, you'd go to the Export dialogue. Select the type of mix--"As Played" in my wish list, "Entire Mix", or whatever. Then check a new checkbox for Time-Range. By checking the checkbox, you'd see two fields open up (Begin and End) in whatever time format your Selection Module shows. The Begin and End times would be auto-populated with the current times shown in the Selection Module, or whatever the last time was...

Since the selection of tracks and time-range defines the context for the export, it would be logical and helpful if the export dialog box would display some info indicating what has been selected. Even just a summary stating the range and number of tracks would be useful. Brconflict's idea take's this to the next level.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1