Export song with audio & midi

Author
Deep
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2006/12/08 12:01:07 (permalink)

Export song with audio & midi

I have a song with a mix of audio and midi tracks that I want to export to .wav file, for burning to CD.

Exporting the audio tracks works fine via File / Export / Audio, but how can I export both the audio and midi tracks together into a .wav file?

Thanks.

-D

10 Replies Related Threads

paulorenato
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/08 13:08:25 (permalink)
    If your MIDI tracks have a DXi output you will have to Bounce them to Audio (refer to the Help Menu -- it should be easy). If not, I can't help since I run with the same problem actually!

(Since I'm working with Edirol UA-25 Interface, the trick I used was to playback the entire Mix and connect the Output jacks to the Input jacks on the UA-25 and record all the Output Mix into an Audio track -- but this is NO solution because glitches can happen during the playback.)

Any ideas?

Best regards,
    Paulo Renato

Deep
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/11 11:06:53 (permalink)
    Paulo, I don't quite understand DXi's or bouncing. Do you mean using the Bounce To Tracks command?

I tried adding a Dreamstation Dxi to my project, changing midi track outputs to DXi and making an audio track with DXi as input.
    But the audio track sounds like like a Gameboy. All the patches in the DXi sound the same. Not good.

I too have the UA25 - do you mean connecting the speaker of your computer to the UA25? To the UA25 stereo input port?

- Doug
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/15 22:05:50 (permalink)
    Deep,
    Yes, but connect your speakers to the OUT of the UA25.
    When you select patches, are you looking at numbered patches in the Track Pane? That won't work. Select Presets inside Dreamstation.
    If you have a mix of Audio and MIDI tracks, make sure ALL Audio and DXi outputs are directed to Master. Export the mix(Select Export from File in the toolbar). Select Entire Mix, and export as 16 Bit/44.1mhz. After that, you can burn the exported file to CD, or conver it to an MP3.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Deep
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/16 17:36:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Robert. I've got the Dreamstation patches working - just they don't match the patches I already have on all my MIDI tracks, which I guess match the patches of the synth on my sound card. I'll try to find suitable Dreamstation substitutes. Cyclone has no patches and Dimension Demo does not install.

If I understand this correctly, I'm going to end up with a stereo audio track which sounds like the sum of the MIDI tracks I point to that output. Is that right? If so, then why do I need to muck with UA25? Can't I just export that bounced audio track along with my other audio tracks directly?

-D
    RobertB
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/16 19:44:12 (permalink)
    D,
    You've got a couple of things going on here.
    Dreamstation is an emulation of old school analog synths. The presets for it are tone and texture variations. It is a completely different animal from the patches you seem to be looking for. These are a General MIDI set of predefined instrument sounds. I have looked in vain for Cyclone patches. The Edirol VSC comes with other Cakewalk products, and it would be what you are after. I can't legally transfer it to you, or I would.
    If you can spend $39, I would get Music Creator 3. It is essentially the same program as Sonar LE, but it comes with Edirol VSC. As near as I can tell Sonar LE is sort of a demo program to give you a taste of Cakewalk products. I use Sonar Home Studio 4 myself.
    The UA25 should be your functioning sound card, which is why you would want to monitor from it. It takes your built in sound card out of the equation entirely.
    When you export, the sound card does not come into play at all, so yes, you could export all tracks directly.
    I hope this hasn't made things more confusing. This stuff can get complicated, and it's hard to convey exactly the right info sometimes.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    paulorenato
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/16 23:04:49 (permalink)
    Hi Doug,

Sorry the late reply, been offline.

ORIGINAL: Deep

Paulo, I don't quite understand DXi's or bouncing. Do you mean using the Bounce To Tracks command?

I tried adding a Dreamstation Dxi to my project, changing midi track outputs to DXi and making an audio track with DXi as input.
    But the audio track sounds like like a Gameboy. All the patches in the DXi sound the same. Not good.

I think RobertB adressed this already. But I'll chime in as well. I too work with Sonar LE, but I no longer work with th GM soundbank that come with Windows XP (due to latency of the MS GS Wavetable Synth). Hence I only use DXi plug-ins to make my MIDI tracks. Then, I was not referring to DreamStation DXi in particular -- DreamStation is a Synth; I was referring to your DXi tracks in case you had any. If you have MIDI tracks that have NOT a DXi output then I can't help since I ran through the very same problem.

ORIGINAL: Deep
    I too have the UA25 - do you mean connecting the speaker of your computer to the UA25? To the UA25 stereo input port?
    - Doug

Nope, I meant connecting the Line Output of UA-25 in the back rear (the same where you would connect speakers) to the Input jacks in the front rear (the ones where you plug Mic, Guitar, etc). I use guitar cables to make this connections.

If you didn't understand anything; I will try it better.
    All the best,
    Paulo Renato
    Deep
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/17 10:57:01 (permalink)
    RobertB,

Thanks for that. Maybe I will get Musc Creator 3 or 4. Don't mind spending $39. I was about to spend lots more on Sonar Producer anyway. (Probably before Christmas!)

I"ve never been able to midi sounds to come out of the UA25, when I use it as an output in Sonar It seems kind of funny to package LE with the UA25 then not include the software necessary to interface the two properly.

My needs are quite simple. I just record audio from mic / guitar and add a few midi tracks for percussion or other background effects. I make the midi tracks by setting an instrument patch and using the keyboard interface to draw the notes. Or paint patterns for percussion tracks. This is a bit tedious but I've been happy with the results. I've been using the synth on the (SoundMax) soundcard of my laptop as output, which comes with 100+ patches.

Does that usage sound like the Music Creator product? I've learned a lot about Sonar and if I could just get to export my full mix with the midi tracks, I'd be almost happy with the LE product. My only other prob with LE is that I can't seem to properly monitor my audio input - too much latency - but I manage.

-D
    RobertB
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/17 13:01:37 (permalink)
    D,
    Yeah, it is kind of an odd package. What's missing is a functional softsynth,with sounds. Cyclone seems to be an empty box. The UA25, and all of your better sound cards don't have onboard synths. That is why you don't get any sound from MIDI. Using softsynths will free you from the SoundMax synth, and the latency that is coming from being tied to your built-in sound card.
    With what you are doing, Music Creator should be fine. Sonar Producer is kind of spendy, and would be overkill for your needs.
    Btw, the 128 sounds on your SoundMax are a standardized General MIDI set. Your tracks that you already have recorded should play on the Edirol VSC without changing any settings.
    Good luck, and have fun.

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Deep
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/19 11:02:33 (permalink)
    RobertB,
    I read the Cake pages on Music Creator. Sounds just like the Sonar LE package I have, except it has the softsynths I need. Do you know of any serious limitations imposed?

Frankly, I find it a bit hard to differentiate the products - Music Creator, Home Studio and all the others - except by price. Would be nice if there was some kind of comparison chart. I think I will go ahead and purchase the Music Creator - hard to go wrong with the price and I think I can continue to use LE in any case.

-D
    RobertB
    RE: Export song with audio & midi 2006/12/19 20:26:19 (permalink)
    D,
    MC had some limits on simultaneous inputs(I believe 2) which, in many cases isn't an issue. There are some limitations on the number of tracks and effects, but again, it's not really a problem unless you have some elaborate projects.
    You're right, functionally they are virtually identical, and difficult to tell apart. I have used my own screen shots(SHS4) to help with problems with other versions.
    Music Creator is a competent program, and the forum for MC is great.
    Enjoy!

My Soundclick Page

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1