Exporting Softsynths As Mono

Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2017/04/09 00:53:06 (permalink)

Exporting Softsynths As Mono

Hello,

So I just finished recording some songs and wish to export the stems as someone else will be mixing them.  Right now, all my VST synths were recorded as stereo tracks (as that is just the default for them).   

Some of them I wish to keep as stereo for stereo type sounds, easy enough, just export the track as is.  

But some of my tracks (kick, snare, bass, etc...) I want to export as mono (kick and bass will be center) and stuff like the snare, hats, and other elements that don't have stereo information, I want the person mixing my track to decide on the panning, so therefore I will need those converted to mono.   

I see there are several ways to do this (or so I think) and I was wondering if there is a best way to do this for exporting them for a mixing engineer.

I see the "Interpolate" button, but also when bouncing I see there is an option for "Mono".  There is also "Convert track to mono" and maybe other ways that I am missing.

Simply put, what is the right/best way to take my stereo VST softsynth tracks and give them to a mix engineer as mono tracks?

Oh, and another thing which I believe has to do with Panning laws, but I noticed in the past, sometimes bouncing to mono adds 3dbs... but also changes the sonic quality of the sound.  How do I bounce to mono without this happening?

Thank You!

18 Replies Related Threads

AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/09 23:26:15 (permalink)
    *bump*
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 00:09:56 (permalink)
    another thing I am thinking, when I use session drummer, it puts out stereo tracks, but who wants a stereo kick drum?  once I bounce, it should go to mono right?  What is the best work flow for this?
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 00:12:30 (permalink)
    Another thing I don't understand:  I see you can have a mono clip AND stereo clip in the same track....  so is there such a thing as a MONO or STEREO track?   

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 01:05:49 (permalink)
    stereo mono interleave button

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

tlw
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2567
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 03:42:49 (permalink)
    Session drummer's multiple outputs can be configured as stereo or mono.

If a stereo track contains the same information (audio) in both channels then if you convert it to mono and combine the two channels into a single mono track that track will be louder by 3dB. It's
    Iike adding 1+1, the answer will always equal 2, not one. An easy way to see what's happening is to take a mono track containing audio and cloning it. Run both tracks into the same bus. With the track faders set to the same level the bus will be louder than either track. It will be as loud as the two tracks summed together.

Panning laws don't really come into this unless the balance control on the stereo track is not set centrally. Mono tracks have pan controls, but the same control becomes a balance (between left and right content) control on a stereo track.

As for a mono track sounding different to stereo, that can happen if the two stereo channels don't contain the same audio. Any phase differences between them can lead to some frequencies being boosted when added together and others cancelling each other out.

The easiest way to convert a stereo track to mono is to switch the track interleave button to mono. Then deal with any unwanted issues that appear. Boosted volume is easily compensated for by use of the track fader and if it turns out there's undesirable phase issues then it may be best to just leave the track in stereo.

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
    ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
    Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
    rogeriodec
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 14:39:02 (permalink)
    You can also insert Audio FX -> Cakewalk -> Channel Tools and there double click on L and R sliders to center.

rogeriodec.com.br

* Cakewalk By Bandlabs (always lastest versions), Window 10 x64
    * Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface
    * Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz / ASROCK EXTREME 4 Z97 Mobo
    * 2 SSD Samsung Evo 250 Gb (RAID-0) + 1 Western Digital 2 Tb + 1 Seagate 1 Tb
    * Onboard video / 16 Gb RAM HyperX Fury 1600 Mhz
    * 3 LCD Monitors
    * Axiom 61 MIDI Controller, Tapco S5 Active Studio Monitors
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 14:42:37 (permalink)
    If you bounce the synth to track (which I do), select MONO from the dropdown in the options box that opens up.

For a mono signal, have it output in stereo shouldn't be much of a difference.  It just uses two WAV files (L and R) instead of a centred one.  You can still pan it wherever you like.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 14:57:25 (permalink)
    Exporting in mono can bump up the volume and if you're close to using up the available headroom, this can even result in distortion. It is the result of a design decision to include EVERYTHING downstream of the export. While this makes sense for stereo exports, it does not for mono.

Unless there is at least 6 dB of headroom in a track, the approach I use is to drop the master fader by -6 dB before doing a mono export, and select Mono in the export dialog. This allows including any downstream processing, but guarantees that any volume build up will not cause problems. Still, after doing an export, I recommend verifying that the resulting audio has at least some headroom.

Due to the confusion I often see in the forums, I wrote a pretty thorough article on exporting with SONAR for the March 2017 issue of Sound on Sound magazine.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 15:47:15 (permalink)
    Anderton
    Exporting in mono can bump up the volume and if you're close to using up the available headroom, this can even result in distortion. It is the result of a design decision to include EVERYTHING downstream of the export. While this makes sense for stereo exports, it does not for mono.

Unless there is at least 6 dB of headroom in a track, the approach I use is to drop the master fader by -6 dB before doing a mono export, and select Mono in the export dialog. This allows including any downstream processing, but guarantees that any volume build up will not cause problems. Still, after doing an export, I recommend verifying that the resulting audio has at least some headroom.

Due to the confusion I often see in the forums, I wrote a pretty thorough article on exporting with SONAR for the March 2017 issue of Sound on Sound magazine.

Thanks for the explanation and the link to the SOS magazine.  That makes sense, but one thing I *think* i am noticing, besides the 3db boost, it also changes the tonality of the sound itself.  Even on stuff like kicks.  I think the reason must be there might be some SLIGHT stereo information creating a seperation, but when they are folded in together to mono they sound different?  for me this 909 style kick got a bit more boomy (not just louder).

The other dilemna here is this:

sometimes I don't know if the synth sound i am going to use is going to be a mono type sound or something with stereo information, so i always end up insert stereo outs for my softsynths.   However, if I decide to go with a sound that is more of a MONO sound, I then bounce to mono and like i said, it changes the sound slightly.

I use Battery 4 a lot for drums, which has its own panning inside, so I do stereo tracks there, but that means my KICK also must go out stereo, but then if I bounce to mono after it changes the sound.  So confused what the proper workflow is here.

Channel tools before the bounce to mono to emulate the mono sound?  I am unsure really.
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 15:59:19 (permalink)
    It's almost impossible to imagine a situation where converting a stereo sound to mono would not change the tone to some degree.

If I was the person receiving the tracks to do a mix, I would want to receive all of them in their native format. I would then decide what to do with them during the mixdown process. If you don't trust the engineer doing the mix to make decisions that are the best for the song, consider seeking a different engineer.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 18:08:05 (permalink)
    Anderton
    It's almost impossible to imagine a situation where converting a stereo sound to mono would not change the tone to some degree.

If I was the person receiving the tracks to do a mix, I would want to receive all of them in their native format. I would then decide what to do with them during the mixdown process. If you don't trust the engineer doing the mix to make decisions that are the best for the song, consider seeking a different engineer.

sure i get that, so then what is the "correct" option, even session drummer... spits out 8 stereo tracks, but kicks should be in mono.   But when you convert it to mono, it changes the tonality.  

Should I change the track manually to only receive "left" from the kick drum synth?  but even then, you are not getting the sound exact.

hmmm...
    Slugbaby
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 19:05:22 (permalink)
    AdamGrossmanLG

sure i get that, so then what is the "correct" option, even session drummer... spits out 8 stereo tracks, but kicks should be in mono.   But when you convert it to mono, it changes the tonality.  

I never like using companies' templates.
    I created my own Track Template for AD: Mono for Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, 1 each for Toms, then stereo tracks for OH and Room.
    Set them up once and never fail again!

Maybe the drums is a poor example since my way probably SHOULD be the standard, but every synth and user taste is different.  Companies have to guess at how the user is most likely to use the product and aim for that.  So it'll never be 100% for anyone...  This small tweak is a good balance for me.  

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 19:28:46 (permalink)
    Slugbaby
    AdamGrossmanLG

I created my own Track Template for AD: Mono for Kick, Snare, Hi Hat, 1 each for Toms, then stereo tracks for OH and Room.

Maybe the drums is a poor example since my way probably SHOULD be the standard, but every synth and user taste is different.  Companies have to guess at how the user is most likely to use the product and aim for that.  So it'll never be 100% for anyone...  This small tweak is a good balance for me.  

cool thanks, good idea with the template... but let me ask... if you are only taking the input of the left channel for the kick drum (to make it mono), would the kick sound exactly the same if you got both channels (L & R) in there?  

Slugbaby
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 19:34:08 (permalink)
    I would have thought so, but Anderton's always been right where I've been wrong.  So according to his post above, it can add a change to the sound.

But I get my kicks in mono.   (insert drum roll here)

Anonymungus!
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 23:16:01 (permalink)
    In Session Drummer there are width controls in each channel, which is probably why a converted file might sound different. Try setting the widths to minimum.

Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime, Windows 10 x64, Intel Quad Core CPU@3.40GHz, 8GB RAM, (2)1.5T Hard Drives, Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, Roland A-500Pro MIDI Controller & lots more stuff

AdamGrossmanLG
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/10 23:38:22 (permalink)
    thank you for the replies, very helpful... so now this bodes a new question.  say i have some synths as mono tracks (interleave mono and a left only input) and then some full stereo.  If I want to do a complete stem mix (so I can send them to be mixed).... if I export all tracks, is Sonar smart enough to know to export the mono ones as mono files and the stereo ones as stereo files?
    kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/11 20:26:14 (permalink)
    Some very good answers here ...wish I could read the whole SOS article ....I be non subscriber at the moment ...

if the version of SONAR you have includes this , you may want to give it a spin on a number of your stereo tracks ...
    you may find settings that work very good for your tune and some of your synth choices ....
    A very underrated plug IMHO ..

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Exporting Softsynths As Mono 2017/04/11 21:37:56 (permalink)
    AdamGrossmanLG
    Slugbaby
    AdamGrossmanLG

cool thanks, good idea with the template... but let me ask... if you are only taking the input of the left channel for the kick drum (to make it mono), would the kick sound exactly the same if you got both channels (L & R) in there?  

If you take just the left channel (or right), this IS your mono signal which you can pan anywhere you want.

If you take left AND right you're doubling up again and will get a 3dB lift

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1