External Hard Drive question.

Author
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
2008/08/28 22:12:04 (permalink)

External Hard Drive question.

I'm currently using 4 drives on my system. c: system drive @ 80 gig E / F are partitioned 320 Gig used for audio on E and bulk sample storage on F. G is an IDE 80 gig drive that has a single image of my system drive for rescue and back-up. I use my fire wire port for the FA-66. I'm looking to get Ivory Italian Grand which Synthology recommends a separate firewire drive for sample streaming. My internal firewire has 2 ports but I'm unclear if there would be an interrupt issue if I used the second port to drive the external drive for the Italian grand. I would also like to use a large external drive for bulk storage and back up and free up the F partician for project audio. Would it be smart to buy a second pci to firewire or e sata card and a large drive to partition into storage and sample streaming? or.... hell's that why I'm asking here, any recommendations?

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832

4 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: External Hard Drive question. 2008/08/28 22:58:56 (permalink)
    I think a lot depends on the real world throughput on your PCI bus when it competes with your IDE channels.

The intel board should be as dependable as you can hope in that regard.

I'm personally looking forward to migrating from firewire external to esata... mainly because I want to reserve "everything firewire" on my system for audio I/O.

Truth is I'm out of touch with the latest desktop tech... but that's my take on it.

best,
    mike

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: External Hard Drive question. 2008/08/29 11:44:05 (permalink)
    I'm currently using 4 drives on my system. c: system drive @ 80 gig E / F are partitioned 320 Gig used for audio on E and bulk sample storage on F. G is an IDE 80 gig drive that has a single image of my system drive for rescue and back-up. I use my fire wire port for the FA-66. I'm looking to get Ivory Italian Grand which Synthology recommends a separate firewire drive for sample streaming. My internal firewire has 2 ports but I'm unclear if there would be an interrupt issue if I used the second port to drive the external drive for the Italian grand. I would also like to use a large external drive for bulk storage and back up and free up the F partician for project audio. Would it be smart to buy a second pci to firewire or e sata card and a large drive to partition into storage and sample streaming? or.... hell's that why I'm asking here, any recommendations?

1. Avoid add on controller cards if possible. (Opens the door to all kinds of glitch related problems)
    2. eSATA is significantly faster than 1394a or 1394b (assuming you're using a fast HD)

If you're out of internal IDE/SATA ports, I'd opt for a couple larger/faster internal HDs.
    Dedicate one of those to Ivory.
    If you still need more storage space, use an external HD (1394 or USB) for files where speed is less of an issue.

If you have a free internal SATA port, you can get a plate that connects to it and provides an eSATA connection out the back of the case.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: External Hard Drive question. 2008/08/29 22:38:33 (permalink)
    Thanks very much Jim. I was mistaken in thinking that E-sata was some sort of new protocol instead of just an external designation if I have that right. My Mb has quite a few SATA ports available, so I think I'll opt for the plate to have one available externally and not mess with firewire except for the interface. I'm nearly out of physical drive space in my Daw. I'm finally starting to use Samplitude along with Sonar so I know I'll be doubling a lot of wave files with exports etc. Looking forward to my next upgrade.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Swinhart
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: External Hard Drive question. 2008/09/24 12:29:59 (permalink)
    I love the fact that I can use external drives. I do remote recordings on the laptop and can bring that drive back to the house and connect it to the desktop. I have not partitioned any of the external drives (too much trouble to locate projects). I keep all my projects in their own folders, so I can access all that info. I think I have a total of 5 external drives now with various projects on them. Eventually, I may transfer those projects (cues and all) to CD's. I prefer 7200 rpm drives and WD in particular. I do have a Seagate external which works fine also.

Having fun with 32 tracks in OKC
    hp laptop zd7000 2.8 Ghz 2 Gb DDR RAM
    WinXPP SP3 with AVT1394BusDriver
    Sonar 2S, 3S, 4S, 5S, 5P, 6.12P, now 8.3P
    MOTU 896HD (x3)
    MOTU Ultralite
    MOTU 8-Pre (x2)
    MOTU Ultralite
    many studio mics
    email: hswin@att.net
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1