External Hard drives

Author
rain the producer
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 55
2010/12/29 23:44:39 (permalink)

External Hard drives

Why would I need an ext. hard drive for audio only? What would this mean and why do I need this?
I was reading through on some old posts about some audio crack and pop problems when in playback.  And a lot of people recommended this for some strange reason.
I have the audio cracking problems through playback but not when I am recording.

Sonar Producer 8.5
Yamaha MM6
AKAI XR 20
KRK ROKIT 5(1 monitor)
Tascam US 144

3 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:External Hard drives 2010/12/30 10:52:54 (permalink)
    It's normally recommended to have a HD for audio / the project folders. There's no reason it should be external.

It ain't that difficult when you think about it, surely nothing strange, just simple logic.

If you only have one hard drive it has a whole lot to do, especially when recording.
    It has to read the material to be monitored, write what's being  recorded, and in case of VSTs using audio samples, it has to pick and read the right samples on the fly.

The projects can contain a huge amount of audio, and even a large HD can get full faster than you expect. Note, that also the tracks you have deleted from the project stay in the audio folder unless you get rid of them. It's quite a nuisance starting to make room for new projects if your OS, videos and whatever are all on the same drive.

Having two or three HDs makes your system more reliable. Of course the content and structure of your projects plays a role. This is just a general recommendation.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    rain the producer
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:External Hard drives 2010/12/30 12:09:12 (permalink)
    So having a no click back up drive could be used as a normal drive with not problem. Alright gotcha.

So is the strain of the hard drive having to operate everything, could this be a cause of the audio static noise when in playback.

Sonar Producer 8.5
    Yamaha MM6
    AKAI XR 20
    KRK ROKIT 5(1 monitor)
    Tascam US 144
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:External Hard drives 2010/12/30 14:06:06 (permalink)
    Not knowing about your projects and VSTs it's hard to say, but my guess is the playback clicks are just a driver/buffer thing.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1