Helpful ReplyExternal USB drive problem

Author
Combo
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 187
2011/05/07 07:01:44 (permalink)

External USB drive problem

Hi
I just got a new PC with W7 Home Prem 64 bit and, while installing X1 on it from disks, wanted to transfer some data to it from a USB 400 GB drive.  Yesterday I'd plugged in the USB drive and could see all the data on it in Windows Explorer, and successfully copied a couple of files from it to a new 2nd internal hard drive I'd just put in, as a quick test.   Today, however, the PC won't properly recognise the USB drive, it doesn't open auto-play, shows no data and after a while asks that I format the drive before it can be used, describing it as 'local drive E:' rather than by the proprietary name 'La Cie' it recognised previously.  The PC is not connected to the net and has had no changes made to it except I installed the first disk of the X1 installation immediately prior to trying the USB drive today. 
The USB drive itself still works fine in my other (XP) PC.
Could it be related to the fact that I turned off the PC last night with the USB drive still connected?
Would be grateful for any advice as there is quite a lot of project data on the USB drive to put on that PC.  Thanks.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:External USB drive problem 2011/05/07 07:17:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
The status of the drive in Windows may be corrupted.  Connect the drive and then go to the Device Manager and see if it's listed.  If it's status is bad, it may be listed as an unknown device in the USB listing section.  If that is the case, uninstall the "unknown device" in the device manager, physically disconnect the drive from the PC, restart the PC and after Windows starts connect it and watch to see if Windows detects and reinstalls it. 

To uninstall in the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry and then LEFT click "uninstall" (do not check the box to uninstall drivers). 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Combo
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 187
Re:External USB drive problem 2011/05/07 07:39:53 (permalink)
fireberd

The status of the drive in Windows may be corrupted.  Connect the drive and then go to the Device Manager and see if it's listed.  If it's status is bad, it may be listed as an unknown device in the USB listing section.  If that is the case, uninstall the "unknown device" in the device manager, physically disconnect the drive from the PC, restart the PC and after Windows starts connect it and watch to see if Windows detects and reinstalls it. 

To uninstall in the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the entry and then LEFT click "uninstall" (do not check the box to uninstall drivers). 

This has worked.   Many thanks, much appreciated.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:External USB drive problem 2011/05/07 10:00:36 (permalink)
Thanks for the feedback. Glad it helped.

This can happen (Windows status corruption) with any device.  The Uninstall/restart windows/reinstall usually fixes these types of problems.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1