Helpful ReplyExtract audio from a MOV file

Author
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
2017/04/08 20:14:21 (permalink)

Extract audio from a MOV file

I recently purchased the Zoom Q2N to make some home audio/video files. I recorded the audio in 48/24 and imported the file from the Zoom micro SD card to my pc and into Sony Vegas. After editing the video, I wanted to export the audio only and process it in Sonar 8.5. However, Vegas will only export (or render) the audio in 48/16, not 48/24. I don't know if that is a big deal, but my default in Sonar is to record and work with 48/24.

Does anyone know how to get my audio off of the Zoom SD card or the MOV file in 48/24?

Many thanks!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Extract audio from a MOV file 2017/04/11 04:23:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/04/13 00:41:16
I am only guessing ...

When I open a project in Sony Movie Studio Platinum the audio is brought in with its original format (i.e., bit depth and frequency).  Right click on the audio track and look at its properties to make sure.

As a side note, the video and audio are grouped together.  So, I find it is easier to ungroup them before doing anything (took me awhile to figure that one out).

Ok, so here is where I am guessing and I am also guessing that Vegas is similar to Movie Studio Platinum:

When you right click on the audio track, you are given an option to open the audio in the audio editor.  By default, the audio editor is Sound Forge ... BUT, I think you can set it up to open in Sonar if you are running it on the same machine, as it looks like you can assign the audio editor in preferences. 

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
Re: Extract audio from a MOV file 2017/04/11 04:27:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robbyk 2017/04/13 00:41:34
The other thing you could try (assuming Sonar and Vegas are running on the same machine) ... after you ungroup the audio and video, simply copy the audio from it track in Vegas and Paste it to a track in Sonar.

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
robbyk
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 705
Re: Extract audio from a MOV file 2017/04/13 00:53:32 (permalink)
Thanks Dave, that maybe the ticket, I start a new project tomorrow and I'll give it a try, I'm also using Movie Studio Platinum 12. As it turns out, I exported the audio as a 48/16 and brought it into TRacks and had a great time working on it, really fun, my 1st time using that app. I wonder also, can I just bring the MOV file into Sonar 8.5?

It's a shame though, it's like politics, Windows media player won't play MOV files and neither will Sony (video shows up, but not the audio) unless you have Quicktime installed on your machine and then only out of sync and horrible rendition. They just can't get along with each other.

Still, I just closed my eyes and worked through it and exported to YouTube and it came out all right. I guess not that much audio quality was lost.

I don't know who to fault, Zoom for only exporting as a MOV file, or Sony for refusing to work well with them. I wonder if the new Sony corp., what is it Magix or Majic, and their new release has dealt with this.

At any rate, the big winner is IK Multimedia, what a blast working with the TRackS!

Thanks again Dave, I really appreciate the expert suggestions! Much appreciated!

"I'm just workin' on a good life, the way it is."

Best, Robby K 

PC Specs: Dell XPS Tower, Intel Core i5 7400 CPU 3 GHz @, 8 GB RAM
Hardware: Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Line 6 TonePort UX1, ART Tube MP, JBL LSR2325P 5" Bi-Amped Monitors
Software: Windows 10 Home, Sonar 8.5.3 Producer, Sonar Producer X1, Sonar Producer X2 expanded, Sonar Producer X3, Ableton Live 8.3.4, Ozone, Alloy, Toontrack, Podfarm, IK Multimedia, Garritan, Melodyne, Antares, Bias, Rob Papen, OhmForce, Don't Crack... 

Music 
Studio
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1