FA-66 + Vista = no sound

Author
PieterVW
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 184
2008/09/11 07:16:54 (permalink)

FA-66 + Vista = no sound

I had trouble with my Audiophile 2496 before, it kept picking up interference from inside my computer (it shifted pitch when scrolling etc.) so I ditched that soundcard and went for something new ... an Edirol FA-66. I figured since it's external I wouldn't have that problem anymore.

Just installed it, it shows up in the control panel and is set as standard device. So far so good, but it doesn't give me any sound, no matter what bitrate is selected. I turned the unit on/off numerous times, installed the drivers again, tried every setting possible, switched cables, ... and it simply doesn't give me any audio. Didn't even try Home Studio yet, since I can't get sound from something as simple as mediaplayer.

Any ideas?

12 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/11 15:38:31 (permalink)
    Dont know about playing window's sounds, but when i had the fa66 it played them. You might need to be at 44.1Khz for this to happen because the media player files are probably 44.1Khz. Just a thought. I dont know why you havent defined it in sonar yet. You should and see if the unit works. Remember to read the fa66 manual, because it has some buttons on there, if i remember correclty that need to be set correctly.

Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/12 09:18:52 (permalink)
    I tried to configure it in Sonar, but no luck ... The only thing that was different on my screen was the code for "Playback Timing Master" and "Record Timing Master". Both were named "FA-66 1" instead of "EDIROL FA-66 In/Out 1".
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/12 12:13:30 (permalink)
    Just installed it, it shows up in the control panel and is set as standard device. So far so good,

that's how it's supposed to be..
    but it doesn't give me any sound, no matter what bitrate is selected.

you mean "samplerate" ! switch it to 44.1KHz, turn the FA-66 off and on after doing so..
    I turned the unit on/off numerous times,

yepp, see above.. that's how they work
    installed the drivers again, tried every setting possible, switched cables, ... and it simply doesn't give me any audio.

no need to install the drivers again, the card shows up in the control panel, that should be enough..
    every setting possible ? where exactly did you start configuring the FA-66 ?
    Which cables did you switch ?
    Did you try headphones and/or speakers to check if you get any audio ? (you need to turn up the volume on the fa-66 itself)
    what happens if you turn the monitoring-knob to middle position and connect a mic/instrument to either mic-input 1 or 2 ?
    do you hear anything ? you should, even without any drivers installed !! If you can't hear anything then you have a problem with either the card (defective) or your speakers/headphones/cables.

Didn't even try Home Studio yet, since I can't get sound from something as simple as mediaplayer.

when you go in system-management "audio and sounddevices", does the fa-66 show up there ? is it selected ?

I tried to configure it in Sonar, but no luck ...
    The only thing that was different on my screen was the code for "Playback Timing Master" and "Record Timing Master". Both were named "FA-66 1" instead of "EDIROL FA-66 In/Out 1".

I don't get the last part..
    Why do you say "FA-66 1" instead of "Edirol FA-66 In/Out 1",.. how should you know which names should show up ? Can't "FA-66 1" be correct ? (just asking)
    Do a search for the "aud.ini" file on your c:\-drive (include hidden folders as well in your search), delete it.
    start sonar, sonar will now ask to configure the new audiocard.. (best you disable any other audiointerface prior to that)
    After this is done, you should already be fine for playback/recording.. anyway, go into Sonars [options]-[audio]-[drivers] and check and make sure that only the Fa-66 stuff is selected !!
    restart sonar..

PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 04:33:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Frank Haas

Why do you say "FA-66 1" instead of "Edirol FA-66 In/Out 1",.. how should you know which names should show up ? Can't "FA-66 1" be correct ? (just asking)
    Do a search for the "aud.ini" file on your c:\-drive (include hidden folders as well in your search), delete it.
    start sonar, sonar will now ask to configure the new audiocard.. (best you disable any other audiointerface prior to that)
    After this is done, you should already be fine for playback/recording.. anyway, go into Sonars [options]-[audio]-[drivers] and check and make sure that only the Fa-66 stuff is selected !!
    restart sonar..

Well, the name that shows up is different from the one in the user manual. I doubt that will be the problem, but you never know, right? I deleted the aud.ini file, reconfigured Sonar, but I still don't have any audio playback ...

PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 04:34:35 (permalink)
    When playing guitar through it, I can hear sound. Everything seems to be ok in the device manager too.

ORIGINAL: Frank Haas

restart sonar..

Well, the name that shows up is different from the one in the user manual. I doubt that will be the problem, but you never know, right? I deleted the aud.ini file, reconfigured Sonar, but I still don't have any audio playback ...

Frank Haas
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 04:47:58 (permalink)
    what do you mean with you don't have any audio playback ?
    are you using Sonar ? is the project running (now-marker moving) ?
    did you check the driver-tab in sonar ?
    best you post some screenshots of your sonars-options-audio and the corresponding sub-tabs..
    drivers seemed to install fine (don't worry about the different names in the manual)

post edited by Frank Haas - 2008/09/13 06:04:04
    PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 06:13:39 (permalink)
    I simply have no audio playing at all ... I actually doubt that it's a Sonar-related problem, since the settings are done like the manual says. I used several other soundcards before, and none of them ever gave me trouble to configure.

I checked all the audio settings in Sonar, driver settings too, everything is like the manual says it should be. The weird thing is that I don't get any audio on my computer. Not from youtube-video, mp3, cd, videofiles, ... but the settings are all correct. Speakers or headphones don't make a difference.

And the weirdest thing is that I do get "the first sound" out of the unit. If the FA-66 is turned on while the computer is starting up, I can hear the first Windows-tune (before signing in). If it's turned on while the PC is already on, I get the warning-sound for new hardware. It's just like after these first sounds, nothing works anymore.
    Frank Haas
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 06:23:07 (permalink)
    ok,
    this is the second thread in the past 3-4 days that deals with a FA-66 not working,..
    in the other thread the op switched the interface for a new one - without success.. (it was playing fine on another pc though)
    even reinstalling XP wasn't of any use..
    I still can't figure out what the problem was.. (he even used a TI firewire chipset),..
    usually the FAs install just fine and play very well..
    If you have a second pc to test the FA-66 ? that could tell you if the FA or your pc is the issue..
    probably best to return the unit,..
    PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 06:52:31 (permalink)
    Don't have a second computer to test the FA-66, but there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. After all, it does play sound, altbeit briefly. I tried changing all the cabling, checked the BIOS settings, went through all audio-configuration menus several times, did a few reinstalls of the driver software, ... but all without success. Guess I'll have no other option than returning it.

It just sucks that this is starting to cost me quite a lot of money. I'm a student without an income and I've already had to sell my Audiophile 2496 because the computer caused LOADS of interference on the audio signal. So I buy this new thing - FireWire because I didn't want the same problems as the PCI-card - and it just doesn't do anything. I have a bunch of brand new cables for it too, so it's just a total ripoff. Worst thing is that I'm really not sure what to do next ... If I return the FA-66, what should I get instead? I'm really hesitant to try something new, with all the problems I've been having.

PC is a HP a6000-series by the way.
    Frank Haas
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 07:29:58 (permalink)
    it looks like you have an agere firewire chipset on your mainboard..

have a look at this:
    http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1475

I don't know if i.e. rme was able to solve the issue..
    (the Fireface 400 would be the next step..! )
    PieterVW
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 08:27:34 (permalink)
    1394 chip is indeed from Agere: AGERE OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394-hostcontroller

So instead of changing the interface I could get me a PCI-firewire interface with a TI chip, right?
    Frank Haas
    RE: FA-66 + Vista = no sound 2008/09/13 08:53:52 (permalink)
    yes and no..
    sorry I can't tell you that exactly
    I would just try a pci ti-fw-controller..
    or create another thread especially for that question..
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1