FIXED: ASIO/WDM Driver Issue

Author
pwal
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2909
2005/08/27 04:50:05 (permalink)

FIXED: ASIO/WDM Driver Issue

Hi All

Last night much weirdness happened, let me try & explain. I loaded up an existing P5v2 (latest patch) session that included Halion Player 3 (latest patch) as a DXi. H3 reported an error on loading & recommended re-saving & restarting, which I did. (This is no big shakes, it's happened before, and standalone & DXi in Sonar works with ASIO). But after re-starting P5, I get no - or at least very very very very quiet - sound using ASIO - It's like I have a global volume setting set really low...

I switched to WDM - same - no sound So I tried DirectSound & this worked... So I reprofiled the WDM devices - still no sound...

I deleted the p5 INIs - P5 reprofiled on restart & then I get sound with WDM. I swap to ASIO & get no (or v v v v quiet) sound. I swap back to WDM & get no sound again... even after reprofiling. I have to delete the INIs to get the reprofile to work but swapping to ASIO always farks it up again...

So I un- and re-installed P5 and the patch. Same behaviour. (The uninistall doesn't actually completely un-install everything, as recently opened files show in the menu after reinstall, for example, so maybe there's something else not removed that's causing this?)

So I un- & re-installed the soundcard drivers. Same behaviour.

I'm using an Edirol UA1000 on XP, Gig of RAM, blahblahblah - works fine w/ASIO (& everything else) in Sonar, and P5 seems OK ReWired into Sonar with Sonar on ASIO (does P5 use the Sonar driver via ReWire?). I've never seen behaviour like this, I'm completely stumped. I can fudge it with WDM for the short-term but the ltency's just ot low enough for recording

Anyone have ideas at all? I'm quite a geek so am "on top of" my PC at all times (custom-built etc) and this has happened out-of-the-blue.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

TIA
Pwal
post edited by pwal - 2005/08/27 10:01:11

7 Replies Related Threads

pwal
    RE: HAYULP!! ASIO/WDM Driver Issue - is P5 the culprit?? 2005/08/27 05:03:26 (permalink)
    And the meters show there's sound even though I'm not hearing any...

This is totally reproducible very time.

p
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: HAYULP!! ASIO/WDM Driver Issue - is P5 the culprit?? 2005/08/27 07:13:33 (permalink)
    Are you using 24-bit for your driver? If so, change the setting from LSB to MSB or vice versa, this is the usual cause for quiet audio...if it's not that, then I don't know what else to suggest...

Oh, and rewiring into Sonar uses Sonar's audio settings...
    pwal
    RE: HAYULP!! ASIO/WDM Driver Issue - is P5 the culprit?? 2005/08/27 08:51:50 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply - I am 24bit & I have already tried that - the non-default (MSB i think) caused white noise...

It's bizarre - swapping to ASIO (which produces no/v.quiet sound) then back to WDM kills the WDM driver until I reprofile it/delete the INI...

If I work it out I'll let you know...

p
    xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    RE: HAYULP!! ASIO/WDM Driver Issue - is P5 the culprit?? 2005/08/27 09:47:23 (permalink)
    Maybe when you uninstall something, run a reg cleaner (CCleaner may fit the bill) then reboot to ensure that drivers/whatnot are not still resident...some drivers only finish their uninstall during Windows boot up....then try reinstalling.
    pwal
    FIXED: HAYULP!! ASIO/WDM Driver Issue - is P5 the culprit?? 2005/08/27 09:54:44 (permalink)
    FIXED!

I re-tried 32-MSB since you mentioned it and I'm sorted! Fark knows what happened there

Thanks for your help xylyx

p
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: FIXED: ASIO/WDM Driver Issue 2005/08/27 14:57:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pwal
    ...The uninistall doesn't actually completely un-install everything, as recently opened files show in the menu after reinstall, for example, so maybe there's something else not removed that's causing this?

In START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANE/ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS, uninstall the update if it's listed separately and then P5, or just P5 if that's all you see.

Go to the Cakewalk directory and delete the P5 v2 folder BUT SAVE ANY SONG you want to keep, in another location.

Hit START on your task bar, Run REGEDIT
    Under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, open SOFTWARE
    Open CAKEWAL MUSIC SOFTWARE
    OPEN PROJECT5
    DELETE 2.0
    If you have 1.0 there and aren't using it, you can delete that too.

You can do the same thing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for good measure.

Close regedit.

Close all background programs that appear on your task bar (by the clock).

Reinstall P5, restart your computer. Close any background programs, reinstall the P5 patch, restart your computer and see if this straightens things out.

EDIT: Nevermind! But this does fix a lot of problems stemming from bad installatoins.
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/08/27 15:04:34

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    pwal
    RE: FIXED: ASIO/WDM Driver Issue 2005/08/27 17:51:16 (permalink)
    hi mike - thanks for the input - as you saw, i got it sorted, although "exactly how" i'm still not sure - hand-flushing the registry was the next step & your info is good stuff - was there a "fragile" point release of ASIO??

p
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1