FIXED Mono tracks mixdown (bounced) to stereo are at different levels

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2017/03/02 19:29:23 (permalink)

FIXED Mono tracks mixdown (bounced) to stereo are at different levels

I don't know if I've had this all along, but recently built a couple of backing tracks for a singer.  I created mono drum, bass, pedal steel guitar and rhythm guitar tracks.  I mixed down (bounce to track(s)) the mono tracks to stereo and noticed the left channel is lower than the right. This is with 2017.01 Platinum.  Initially it was nearly 3db difference.  I rolled back to 2016.09 and it appeared to be OK, but after a reboot the levels, on a mixdown, were not the same.  I rolled back even further to either Hopkinton or Ipswitch  (I don't remember which) and they were still not the same.  I tried the 2017.02 early access version and the levels were off in that too.   I uninstalled Sonar, using the CCC, rebooted the PC and reinstalled Sonar.  The levels are now closer, only 0.75db different but they are still not equal.  I am using the bounce to track(s) default settings.  Actually Sonar defaults in everything.

I can mixdown to a mono track and then convert that mono track to stereo and the levels are the same in both channels.  The problem is only with the bounce to track(s) mixdown. 

The problem is in Sonar and not my recording interface unit(s).  I've tried it with my main unit, MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid, and with my backup unit, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6, and its the same with both of them.  I have Studio One 3, that I got with a Presonus hardware purchase.  I don't use it but I exported the mono tracks from Sonar and Imported them into Studio One 3 and did a mixdown and the stereo levels were identical.
post edited by fireberd - 2017/03/07 13:20:52

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

1 Reply Related Threads

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Mono tracks mixdown (bounced) to stereo are at different levels 2017/03/07 13:20:21 (permalink)
    My stereo mixdown problem has been fixed with the 2017.02 release.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1