FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER

Author
radio
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2782
2009/02/13 14:39:12 (permalink)

FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER

This was my recreated flightsim version of what happen to flight 1549 , I started the music but the next day I ended up breaking my leg followed by a really bad cold virus .
Right now I'm battling sinus issues,I decided with all this going on theres no use trying to finish the music I started the day before I broke my leg.
I had enough music to add to the video so I decided to release the video on youtube using what I created.

As soon as I get over all of this completely I hope to go back and work with this music again I started for this video.
God help me get over all of this soon!

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwUt7jhous

29 Replies Related Threads

Robomusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 16:00:48 (permalink)
    When we say "break a leg" we mean do well, not ..........

Dang dude, broken leg, bad toe, virus. If it were not for bad luck you would have no luck at all!!

Get well soon! Rob

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 16:05:13 (permalink)
    Hi James,
    sorry to hear about your broken leg and ailments. those are not fun to deal with. but a broken leg should give you more time in your studio, right? you can just sit right there and bang 'em out!

ok - before I write this I thought about it for a while. I really hope you want an honest critique. if you don't, then please don't read any further than this. This is not a critique with any agenda to make you feel bad for anything - these is just my honest comments on it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    the text at the beginning goes too fast - I was not able to read the whole thing before it was gone.

the video clips you have cut and pasted into the video have varying volumes and really need to be smoothed out. the clips themselves have choppy beginnings and endings and don't transition well into the video of the flight sim.

the music against the flight sim....this is the hard part and I apologize - I'm not trying to hurt your feelings at all, but....it's boring. it is very similar to the other flight sim music you've posted before and it all sounds very generic. you need to add some life to it - melodies and counter-melodies would really help this out a lot. more instrumentation than just the synth would also work it up some. chord changes are interesting at times, but not enough to make this stand on its own without some more variety. some good drum riffs in there would also liven it up some.

all that and now the big question - what's the purpose of this? again - I'm not trying to demean you or belittle you or hurt your feelings in any way - but I don't understand what the point behind making a video of this crash is. what point are you trying to make? are you trying to celebrate the lives that were saved? if so, you didn't do that because no one got off the plane at the end. are you trying to celebrate the heroics of the captain and 1st officer? if so, you didn't bring those qualities out in the video.

all I'm trying to say here is that I don't understand the point you're trying to make with the video because it wasn't obvious to me from watching the video.

-----------

I hope this isn't taken as a personal attack, that's not the way I meant it. I'm hoping you are wanting some honest feedback on how I feel when I watch your video with regard to the content and the music - and that's what I've offered. if this has offended you, then I will refrain from making any critiques on your work in the future if they might offend you again.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 16:29:06 (permalink)
    James - listen to these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU5YTkwOUJI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHRaASYv2U

this is the kind of stuff I think of when I think of your flight sim videos EXCEPT - this stuff has LIFE to it. listen to all the different instruments and sounds and melodies and countermelodies going on. listen to the way it builds instruments and souds as it takes you with it through the song.

just trying to help.
    post edited by Beagle - 2009/02/13 16:35:01

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 16:30:49 (permalink)
    Radio,
    That was a chilling reminder of the crash ... Good thing all lives were saved.

I think the point Radio was trying to accomplish was to have us try to experience that historic flight from a passenger's point of view. An attempt to help us to experience what those who traveled on the plane might have felt.

+1 on the volume levels. I'm sure this can be fairly easily remedied with the capabilities of Cakewalk? Music as beagle pointed out could use some work and a happy ending to bring it all together would bring it on home.

Glad to have you back, though. Sorry about the leg and cold, but I guess you'll have some time to work on this now!!!

-TAP-

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Robomusic
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 17:23:13 (permalink)
    I though is was interesting, and clever, but some of it i agree with Beag, again not to hurt any feelings, but to be honest. The music did not go anywhere, but was the same all the way through, with the cymbol crashes at the same place every measure, it needed to build, and change from time to time. Also I was very confused as to what footage of disaster movies where things are getting sucked out and people are hanging on to seats for their lives had anything to do with this incident, as well as gliding along the water for like ever bobing up and down like a big boat, was kind strange. But then flight sims don't let you do accurate crash scenes do they. I am impressed how you get the sim footage save to process, it must take a lot of work to do this.

Very cool to see the blending of the different things, but actually they did not blend well audibly.

Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 18:57:51 (permalink)
    Kinda makes me want to reinstall my flight sim.... just to fly again... in a digital way.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Robomusic
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 19:44:23 (permalink)
    ^Digital thrill seeker! Space monkey!

Music Town
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 22:28:00 (permalink)
    Hey Beagle just getting things in order like news , shower & shave that takes an hour and before you know it its 7:00pm. Had to go to the toe doctor so he could look at it, he said everything looked great so that was my last appointment to see him.

As for the comments on the video thats ok , didn't really it was my best work but with everything going on with my health I decided to post it anyway .
    This broken leg is really a pain to work with when I try to play or create , Imagine having a FIVE POUND brink strapped to you leg and see how you might feel.
    I tried last week to create something and the leg was hurting so much I gave up in minutes and decided it would be better not to play at all.
    Plus playing out of a wheel chair isn't easy , in my room theres not much room to get set up working out of this wheel chair . Because of my five cats I have to pack my keyboard away each night so they don't lay all over my equipment , its a real pain dragging everything out and setting it all up when you can't get around .
    The music I added to the video wasn't anything really , it was something I was playing around with before I broke my leg.
    In the video I wanted the viewer to get a sense of what the passengers were dealing with while in flight and the flight path from the runway to the water .

Thanks for the comments good or bad , cheers!

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/13 23:12:28 (permalink)
    Radio,
    I like the concept, but I have to agree with Beagle. You need to work the story more.
    Have you tried using storyboards? Even a simple outline helps to develop the story for the telling.
    A project of this nature is fairly elaborate, and I applaud your efforts. Getting everything to sync is not easy.
    If MC works like its bigger brothers, you can control the volume of the sound clips associated directly with the video clips.
    Try some crossfades. Cuts are good, but crossfades can soften some of those transitions.
    Music with more tension would certainly be appropriate here, and Rapture has much to offer. Or other synths for that matter.
    Since there is no dialogue, the pictures and the music must set the scene. I have a worksheet, with a timeline marked out in frames. I listen to the music, and/or watch the video, and mark critical points as they pass. This has been a valuable tool for trimming video and audio to fit the action.
    What I have read here so far has been good, solid constructive criticism. Weigh it in, and you will be that much closer to producing good story lines with believable action, and suitable music.
    Onward and upward!

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/14 11:54:42 (permalink)
    Thanks RobertB , storyboards yes it does I believe . I'm not a pro at this for me its all trial and error , I find the movie clips I might be able to fit in and then try to make them fit in with my flightsim scenes I create .
    The music is another area in a class all by itself trying to create something that will create excitment , this type of work isn't as easy as it sounds .

Last night I went to bed at 10:00pm and woke up at 8:00AM , it was my first good nights sleep in weeks . I woke up feeling good except for the bum leg in the cast , this wheel Chair I can't seem to get used to at all . Problem is is the seat its killing my leg and is very unconfortable , If I had a gun I might shoot it !

Nutty
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2056
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/14 18:09:25 (permalink)
    Hi James,

I feel your pain. I broke my leg a few years ago and it's not fun. I've also been a wheel chair for about 8 months now and yes it's hard to get around and relying on other people a lot to get through the day. We went out today (I don't get out too often) and the restaurant did not have any handicap washrooms. In fact, I couldn't even get down the aisle to get the the washrooms! The turns were too tight and they had highchairs and other stuff taking up part of the isle. They should know better! Do you have the leg rests with your wheel chair? If not, you should look into it. This will allow you to elevate your leg and relieve some of the pain. It takes up more room and is awkward, but you will find a way to work around it. Put a pillow under your leg as well. Also, if the chair is uncomfortable, so you can put a pillow or cushion down to sit on. I have a custom fit wheel chair now, but you won't need that because yours will be short term (hopefully...like don't go out and break another leg or anything). It's still early, but the pain should subside. Elevate as much as possible. Same at night when you are sleeping...throw a couple of pillows under your leg. Makes all the difference. And of course, pain medication can be your best friend. I have sleeping pills, but sometimes I take gravol instead. Can't use it all the time, because your body gets used to it, but it will give you a good night's sleep once in while.

Maybe you are already doing this stuff, but if not, give some of these suggestions a try.

Hope you are coping better soon. I know it's tough, but you will get through this.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/15 08:48:52 (permalink)
    Hello Annette , this wheel chair was paid for by my insurance as a rental , it does have leg support braces but I removed them because its hard to get around in my small apartment .
    Getting in and out of my room is very limited because of the space , thats one of the reasons why I haven't been playing my keyboard.
    My keyboard is stored in my closet and has to be taken out and set up everytime I want to play it . With two computers set up and an extra table plus my keyboard stand theres not much room to move around with this wheel chair.

Yesterday I was at Walmart and looked in the camping section and found a air pillow with memory foam in it for $6.00 so I picked up one to try out.
    It seems to be helping some but it still brothers me , I hope I get over this soon !

When I sleep I have an extra pillow to support the cast to keep it up so that helps , when ever my leg really hurts I just lay down for a bit to get the blood flowing in my left leg.

Your right wheel chairs are no fun , I feel for anyone who spends a lifetime in one .

Thanks for the tips Annette
    post edited by radio - 2009/02/15 08:59:08

Debi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/15 20:03:00 (permalink)
    I haven't seen your video yet, but I will......I just wanted to brag a bit and say, that I went to the same high school as Sully, he was a senior and I was a sophomore, and his sister was in my classes.......I had no idea it was him until that following Saturday when my husband came home and told me Sully was from Denison.....and I went, aha!

I was watching TV when the plane crashed, and when they said Sullenberger, my first thought was "I went to school with a Mary Sullenberger"....and I knew she had an older brother, but his name was Burnett.....so I never connected......so, now we all know why he likes to be called "Sully" with a name like Chesley Burnett Sullenberger III....

And even though he's only 2 years older than me, everyone at work has said he looks way older than I do......lol.....they must be scared of me or something!

(PS........he and I both played flute in the band.....)
    post edited by Debi - 2009/02/15 21:59:30
    Debi
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/15 20:32:11 (permalink)
    Okay, watched the video, I thought it was cool, because I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, so my hat's off to you!

As for the broken leg, I can sympathize, I broke mine when I was 26 and had 2 kids, 3 and 7 years old! And just this past November, I had a total knee replacement and am still working on recuperating from that....I have been back to work for 3 weeks now after being off 8 weeks, and it's not getting any easier......they tell me (now they tell me, NOT before) that it takes about a year for the leg to be "normal" again.....

What was I thinking???? Oh yeah, that I'd be off 8 weeks, get in lots of recording and singing......wrong! I didn't feel much like doing anything for the first 6 weeks!

Hope your leg heals fast!

Debi
    post edited by Debi - 2009/02/15 21:58:44
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/15 21:35:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Debi for the comments , your right with a broken leg and then your hit with the seasonal cold and this one has gotten everyone down in my area is not fun at all .
    I'll be glad when the cast is off and I have returned the rental wheel chair for good , today I stripped my bed of its memory foam to relieve leg pain from sitting so much.
    WOW that knee replacement sounds painful too , OUCH !

All I want tyo do right now is get back to normal where I can start having fun with my music , like you were saying when your ill your desire to play and create just isn't there and thats what its been like for me lately .

Anyway its getting better and hopefully in a week or so this cast will be removed,after that I'm sure I will have to be careful walking on it untill its fully healed inside.

Cheers!

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/15 23:11:14 (permalink)
    Hey radio, just a thought. Since you are paying a tribute of sorts to the plane "crash", or non-crash, maybe you could incorporate a few clips from the news cast, especially of them on the wings, and the actual video of it landing. Would take some additional editing, but I'm sure you have that aspect figured out pretty well. You can get a free youtube downloader, and I'm sure there are plenty of clips on youtube. Maybe a still of Sully, (pretty cool story Debi), stuff like that
    Just an idea.
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/16 08:39:34 (permalink)
    Thanks but right now its a dead issue , too much work for me right now dealing with this dead weight attached to my leg the" CAST " .
    That video was something I threw together quickly , wasn't planning on spending alot of time with it when I started it.
    With flightsimming theres only so much you can do to get the full effects of a water landing,I'm sure I could find a video of the water landing to copy but you need permission to use any of them .
    I tried to copy some clips off of youtube once , youtube won't let you copy any clips at all.

Cheers!

gamblerschoice
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/16 09:05:20 (permalink)
    You need the downloader:

http://youtubedownload.altervista.org/

For future reference, there is a thing called the "Fair Use Doctrine", and some things, such as news clips fall into the "public domain". Once you investigate the copyright rules and regulations you will find that in order to claim a copyrighted ownership of something you have to prove your rights to do so, if not, the material is publicly owned.
    I believe we have had this conversation before, but if you would like more information and documentation, I would be glad to provide it. The point is, fear not, you can usually use most everything that is on youtube freely. If the owner of the clip wishes to keep ownership rights, they have the option of locking the clip they upload.

Of course, the other problem, the broken leg thing, is a little more of a restriction at this time...
    Later
    Albert
    post edited by gamblerschoice - 2009/02/16 09:07:00

lonesome road back home.
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/16 21:52:00 (permalink)
    Thanks I will have to check that out in the future when making another flight video , cheers !

peggysuechan
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 581
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/17 15:20:27 (permalink)
    I thought it was exciting. I knew it was a raw do, and we know what those are like, so I know the end product will be thrilling.

The music you used while the plane was "simming" sounded ominous--cool in a freaky way. Somebody said it didn't build, but that didn't seem to matter here. It was menacingly cool. Kinda like in the movies when the bad guys are suave and sophisticated, like the mafia. They're cultured and yet menacing, and the two together are ironic and so unsettling.

Well yours is menacing and cool, too, and it gives an unsettled feel, like something's gonna give soon. It made me tense.

And yeah, the volume needs smoothing in and out. And I didn't understand the changes in the very beginning--from dramatic film soundtrack inside the cabin to absolute quiet outside the plane and inside the cockpit.

And those cymabals--I wouldn't change 'em. Their regularity added to the menacing feeling.

It's strange how you can't please everyone, so you gotta go with your purpose.
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2009/02/18 20:55:37
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/17 18:04:14 (permalink)
    Thanks PeggySue , it was something I put together in a hurry and the music was going to be more then what you listened to untill I broke my leg along with a very bad cold that lasted over a week putting me into the hospital for a half a day .
    Right now I'm feeling great except for this cast on my leg , the cold and its after effects is finally gone .

I might be doing another flight video of this most recent flight into Boston , in memory of those who crashed .

Anyway thanks for you comments on the video, glad you enjoyed it and it great hearing from you again .

Cheers!

gamblerschoice
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/17 23:05:28 (permalink)
    ..."It's strange how you can't please everyone, so you gotta go with your purpose."...

Very important words for just about every one in this forum. We have all put our selves up for critique, laying out personal creations that are often close to ourselves. The majority of commentors know how to make comments in a constructive way, and try to be nice while maintaining an honesty in the process. But the truth is, you will never please every one. Some will say to add some reverb, others say cut back on the reverb/compression/distortion/whatever.Some one's voice may sound beautiful to one person and froggish to another. But the real judge is the person who presented the piece in the first place, 'cause while we are our own worst critics, it is our work, our "baby", and we just have to ballance the good and bad comments and move on.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/18 18:16:39 (permalink)
    Good point , I liked it or else I would not had posted it but your right everyone see, feels and hears things differently and everyone shares different views on the video,music, song or whatever it might be.
    Knowing you can't please everyone doesn't mean you need to run and hide , it just means you can't please everyone all the time .

As I was saying that video I made wasn't my best , I'm sure I could had spent more time and effort in the making of it but with all the health issues piled on me all at once I decided to go ahead and post it anyway using what I had available before all these issues hit me .

Cheers , things are getting better everyday and before you know it I hope to be back on the playing field of creating music and good videos !
    post edited by radio - 2009/02/18 18:22:13

peggysuechan
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/18 20:51:38 (permalink)
    Methinks thou dost protest too much.
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/18 21:32:26 (permalink)
    Methinks thou dost protest too much. , Would the real " Thou Dost " please stand up !
    post edited by radio - 2009/02/18 21:37:52
    gamblerschoice
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/18 22:56:28 (permalink)
    Radio, I realise you were not at your best, so the video wasn't your best offering. But I think you had a good idea for a flight sims with music video to commemorate or in tribute to the hudson river accident/pilot. So, maybe when you are in better shape, you might revisit the idea. Of course, you may have moved on to other things by then.
    Later
    Albert

lonesome road back home.
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/19 07:23:27 (permalink)
    Right now I'm starting to feel much better , not being sick with the cold or flu makes me feel a whole lot better today.
    Hopefully next week this cast will be ready to be sawed off my leg making me feel much lighter too ,not being stuck in this wheel chair will also help in terms of playing music again.
    I say that because in my apartment theres no room for this chair and my keyboard .

One day at a time I guess, cheers !
    peggysuechan
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/20 17:52:17 (permalink)
    My husband watched your video today. He said really he liked it. And that's as enthusiastic as he gets--a very down-to-earth guy. Knowing your problems, and that you intend to smooth things out in further edits, he made these two comments:

1. He thought you could continue with the dramatic music you first used for the cabin scenes. He liked the music you wrote, but thought it should be kept for scenes outside the cabin. I said I thought the two won't gel. But he thinks you can link the two together and somehow continue in the same vein as at the beginning.

2. I told him that someone pointed out that the cabin scene is not realistic. He thinks it is. He said the plane is careening back and forth and rocking up and down, and that people would have problems keeping in their seats.

Radio, Oh GOSH it feels ridiculous typing these stupid aliases all day in this forum you have a different product here than anyone else. Sometimes you're going to get some ribbing, like the swan did living among the ducklings, and like the Wright Brothers did building the airplane.

But you have a real knack for this. It can only get better. And when you finally get your videos polished, they will be amazing.
    post edited by peggysuechan - 2009/02/20 17:57:47
    radio
    RE: FLIGHT 1549_HUDSON RIVER 2009/02/21 12:38:06 (permalink)
    Thanks again Peggysue , just getting started today. Just woke up from a 9.5 hour sleep,I was tired out from yesterday .

Glad your hubby enjoyed the video too , I plan on making another one in memory of those who crash just recently in Buffalo, NY .
    Not sure how that one will pan out but I'm sure I will think of some things to remember those who died in that crash , no rush on it.

Thanks again for your comments,cheers!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1