FR - Clips and Envelopes

Author
markheath
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 408
2006/03/29 07:54:57 (permalink)

FR - Clips and Envelopes

Here are some more thoughts about features I would like to see in future SONAR versions. I'll probably FR these soon. Just wanted some feedback, and also to check that they're not already in (It wouldn't be the first time I've wanted a feature only to discover it already exists)

- Auto-clip volume envelopes. It would be nice to select an audio clip and apply an automatic volume envelope to it. The most obvious uses would be compression, limiting or gating, but there is potential for other uses too. After specifying threshold, attack, release etc, you could then fine tune the envelope to compress or gate exactly as you wanted. I thought about learning CAL to do this feature, but from what I've read, CAL only gives access to MIDI data, not audio sample data. For this feature to be maximally effective, you could also add the ability to view the clip waveform post-volume envelope.

- The remove silence tool to create slip-edited clips. This would be great for chopping up bass lines, and nudging the individual notes to fix any bad timing, but always knowing that you've not destructively gated the sound in case you later notice that remove silence has taken away something you wanted.

- Clip grouping - the ability to group clips in a track together, without performing a "bounce to clips on them". This would be useful when moving audio around that has been broken into multiple parts by split-silence. It could work similar to in graphics packages: you group them, move them, and then ungroup if you need to edit individual parts.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1