FX Busses and CPU?

Author
tvolhein
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 413
2008/09/10 10:30:10 (permalink)

FX Busses and CPU?

What is it about putting FX on separate busses and using sends from tracks that saves CPU capacity?

Let's say I have an FX buss for each effect, for each instrument:
Lead Vocal (compression, chorus, reverb)
Acoustic Guitar (compression, chorus, reverb)
Backing Vocals (compression, chorus, reverb)

For this simple project I have nine busses for FX.

How is it that I am saving CPU capacity if I have these on a stereo buss rather than on a single track? I am running the same number of FX.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Tom Volhein
tvolhein@gmail.com
http://www.tomvolhein.com
H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

3 Replies Related Threads

Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: FX Busses and CPU? 2008/09/10 12:11:51 (permalink)
    In the situation you're describing, there is no advantage. But....

If you had 3 guitars on 3 tracks, and each track had the same compression, chorus reverb with the same settings, and these 3 tracks were all going to a single gtr bus, THEN it would make sense to remove the fx from the tracks, and put them on the bus.

When it's just one-track to one-bus situation, it doesn't make any significant difference (and any possible difference might, perhaps, be slightly negative, cos there must be *some* additional CPU cost in going through a bus; but it would be negligible.) It's when tracks-plus-fx start multiplying that there is a CPU savings with buses.)

But... there are usually advantages to using buses that having nothing to with saving CPU.

HTH
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: FX Busses and CPU? 2008/09/10 20:55:24 (permalink)
    busses are mainly for workflow. if you've got your string section tracks balanced the way you like, you can send them to a bus for group FX and change their volume with one fader instead of four - and you can adjust the balance without ungrouping them all (for those of you about to say, "but you can group the faders!").

you can also save CPU cycles as marah said - do you really want an instance of VC64 for each track of your doubled vocals and BGVs? probably not.

some FX, specifically reverb and delay, work best on a bus of their own. i've also used sends to a compression bus and a VC64 instance for various reasons. with OHs i've added a send to a compressor so i could add in just a bit of "drum destroyer" to bring out the cymbals without slamming them entirely. same thing with some VC64 presets that are way too much when in-line.

finally (although i'm sure there are other reasons), with some effects like compression you can get the multiple instruments to "play" off each other in ways not possible by single-tracking everything to a master bus.

- jack the ex-cynic
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: FX Busses and CPU? 2008/09/11 22:49:55 (permalink)
    Jack's right. The principal advantage of busses is to help keep things tidy. You can save CPU in some cases, but if that's your primary need you'll actually save more CPU by putting the effect on the track and then freezing the track. That reduces the CPU overhead for DSP to zero.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1