FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo

Author
James D
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 182
2005/08/09 17:25:48 (permalink)

FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo

I went to Borders Book store for lunch just to get way from work, and I noticed the new August issue of Computer Music Magazine

In this issue, they are featuring a DVD containing a no limit functional demo version of BFD Drum module, For all of you who haven't heard of the drum module... it's awesome. This is way better that their previous DR-008. This BFD sounds like a live drum kit, and you have the ability to control mic placement, quantize, have ramdom velocity variations, humanize timings, change fills, selefct various drum replacements or change drum kits, select distance and spacing plus much, much more. The Mics are overhead mics floor mics, PZM mics, bass drum mics and more.

The overall pricing for the full drum Module is $299.99 for all 9 GB of it, but man the kits are hot.!!! It works with a number os sequencers including Project5 and Sonar.

Don't let the this edition of the August magazine leave the shelves without you. Can't wait to get this Magazine home and load the DVD into DAW and give it a try. The Magazine also has a four page turtorial on how to use the BFD and a full manual on the DVD. In addition, the DVD is loaded to the brim with Samples and other goodies.

BFD Demo for PC/MAC

Peace,

Enjoy the sweet sound of music forever!
Sonar5

15 Replies Related Threads

Far Left Corner
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 09:27:27 (permalink)
    James,

Thanks for the tip. I went to Borders yesterday and picked up that copy. BFD CM Demo is quite nice and from what I gather it includes two sets of drums.

I watched the video demo included on the disk and its quite "Da Bomb". Will let you know after I go through the tutorials and actual "hands on" how it fares.

Again, thanks
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 12:39:24 (permalink)
    The overall pricing for the full drum Module is $299.99 for all 9 GB of it, but man the kits are hot.!!! It works with a number os sequencers including Project5 and Sonar.

The site list price is $329.00. I got a cross grade deal due to buying GURU recently.

The walk through and tutorials show a lot of features that aren't obvious, such as laying down consecutive triggers by click/dragging the mouse horizontally, and reducing a full pattern with a ctrl/key combination.

Example: full trigger layout in sequencer:
    - - - -_ - - - -_ - - - -_ - - - -
    hit the control key combo and the pattern reduces like this:
    - - -__- - -__ - - -__ - - -
    Do it again and get:
    - -___ - -___ - -___ - -
    and again:
    -___ -____ -____ -
    One more time or more randomizes the triggers! You can reverse the changes with another control key combo.

There's also velocity control of each trigger controlled by click/dragging vertically. The color/shade of the trigger indicates the velocity level,

Volume control of each drum line depends on where you click its button. There's also a great fade out feature for sequenced notes using another ctrl/key combo.

The sounds are fantastic, and you can swap out elements of any kit, to build your own. This is a very well thought out piece of software. I’m waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

I think the basic program comes with six or so kits, and a bunch of swap out pieces... a very generous selection. And you can purchase additional kits.
    post edited by mike85021 - 2005/08/11 13:03:08

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    darc
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 764
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 13:25:11 (permalink)
    Just picked up my copy on lunch break. Can't wait to get home and see how this plays with the TrapKat! Thanks for the tip!!!
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 13:41:32 (permalink)

i googled TrapKat
    looked very inviting till I saw the sale price

well when that ship comes in,
    this is definitely a few steps up from Trigger Finger

and real functional pedals -- very nice

re: BFD -- last thing I need is another drum synth/sampler
    how much less one that sounds 'real'
    somehow my gear lust is slacking off

even if it's just the cost of a magazine

however, until Rene comes up with a Dimension reload/extension pack, Kontakt2 Experience pack has my eye

darc
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 764
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 14:36:04 (permalink)
    "i googled TrapKat ... looked very inviting till I saw the sale price"

I hear ya. There is no way I would ever have bought one myself (esp. considering I'm no drummer) except that a friend of mine happened to bump into this used at Daddy' Junky music, stupid cheap, and then lend it to me. I'm a minimalist but sometimes enjoy the generosity of friends who are not.

"re: BFD -- last thing I need is another drum synth/sampler how much less one that sounds 'real'"

Again, I know where you're coming from. As if I really have time to learn another plugin and spend countless hours tweaking my *drums*. Bad enough I'm reinventing the wheel designing Variax guitars, Guitar Rig amps, Dimension synths... But it just happens that I was looking for an improved kit when James posted, and there's a newstand a block from here. $15 burst into flames in my pocket LOL.
    woodamand
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 14:48:24 (permalink)
    I picked it too, hard not to for that price. Haven't played with it yet, but maybe someone that has can answer me a question: when you are using the midi grooves, do they get dumped into P5 or Sonar so you can mess with them even more, or are they only accessable within BFD.

And I will second that whole thing about having too much stuff!
    Oh, I just woke up and read a bit of the tutorial and answered my own question.
    Here is another:
    Anyone have any idea how this compares with Stylus RMX?
    post edited by woodamand - 2005/08/11 15:18:36

check out the new Brain Transfer Project CD
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/braintransfer
    James D
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/11 17:36:26 (permalink)
    Ok finally got around to recording with the BFD Demo, and it's not bad redordingit in Sonar. Great ability forMic placement. and tweaking you rdrum sounds. Their are only 2 sample drum kits, but actually it' the same kit with a replaced symbol and something else (at work at the moment).

You bring it up in Sonar by inserting it as a DXI and then bouncing it from within Sonar to see the drum track appear. after inserted and the drus patterns are selected, drag the time ruler in Sonar to the desired lengh of the track. So it you just want to hear 16 measures of the drum track, drag out 16 measures on the Sonar time ruler and then bounce to audio.

For the life of me, I can't get this thing working in P5, so If you have an idea, please let me know. I can hear it and I see the meter moving, but Bounce doesn't work, and pressing record doesn't work either. I tried inserting at as a new instrument (BFD Stereo) and I tried it in stand alone mode, which will show the outs of BFD. I hope you have better luck recording with it in P5 than I did. Again, Sonar was no problem at all.

I love the realistic sound of the mic placement.

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/11 17:49:15

Sonar5
    philly
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 03:14:53 (permalink)
    I used it in P5 last night - the kits sound great - I'm well impressed.

I know some people had an issue getting this demo to work - FXPansion issued a fix, if you search their forum over at KVRaudio.com you'll find it.
    mike85021
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1532
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 07:14:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: philly

I know some people had an issue getting this demo to work - FXPansion issued a fix, if you search their forum over at KVRaudio.com you'll find it.

philly,

I don't want to install the demo just to uninstal it when the real thing arrives. Can you briefly discribe how it sets up? How do you record to P5? Or did the demo fix it so well that it's a no brainer?

Mikey T
    Eclectica de Esoterium
  • mike85021 @cox.net
    Just say NO!
    James D
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 12:34:42 (permalink)

Philly, if you don't mind, can you include the steps you took to get the Demo to woek in P5?

apparently my steps are not working properly.

Are you actually from Philadelphia, PA? Ever heard of Yeadon?

Thanks,

Peace

Sonar5
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 12:51:02 (permalink)
    First you want to make sure you are getting audio at all.

Drop it into a track, open it up and click on the picture of the kit to bring up the instrument load window. Click on one of the instruments and you should hear a sound.

If you don't hear a sound replace BFD with another instrument just to double check that there isn't a problem with the track, or P5 it'self.

If you hear a sound, try and preview one of P5's midi patterns with it. If this doesn't work it's probably your midi settings. Set the track to omni, and the problem should go away.
    post edited by MysticMizer - 2005/08/12 12:56:39

NEVERODDOREVEN
    James D
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 13:04:33 (permalink)
    MysticMizer,

I can hear it the drums playing and I see the volume meter registering the icoming sound in the P5 track pane, but after i arm for recording and then press record, nothing gets recorded. When I insert another instrument and then press record, it records the other instrument. I kow it works because I;ve used it woth Sonar, but I had to "bounce" to get it to appear as a audio track.

Drop it into a track, open it up

the instructions tell us to insert as an instrument, what exactly are you referring to when you say "Drop it into a track" is this your short way of saying insert it as an intrument, or are you bringing BFD DEMO in another way?

Thanks,

Peace
    post edited by James D - 2005/08/12 13:10:13

Sonar5
    MysticMizer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 14:36:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: James D

MysticMizer,

I can hear it the drums playing and I see the volume meter registering the icoming sound in the P5 track pane, but after i arm for recording and then press record, nothing gets recorded. When I insert another instrument and then press record, it records the other instrument. I kow it works because I;ve used it woth Sonar, but I had to "bounce" to get it to appear as a audio track.

Drop it into a track, open it up

the instructions tell us to insert as an instrument, what exactly are you referring to when you say "Drop it into a track" is this your short way of saying insert it as an intrument, or are you bringing BFD DEMO in another way?

Thanks,

Peace

Are you by any chance trying to record a groove cell to the linear track pane?
    If so you are probably using the wrong record button. You need to use the one on the Matrix. (Bottom of the GUI)

NEVERODDOREVEN
    philly
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 15:06:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: James D

Philly, if you don't mind, can you include the steps you took to get the Demo to woek in P5?

apparently my steps are not working properly.

Are you actually from Philadelphia, PA? Ever heard of Yeadon?

Thanks,

Peace

Hi -I just installed the *.exe file from the CM DVD, opened P5, inserted BFD stereo out from the list of dxi's then just used some of the P5 stock midi drum loop, made some loops of my own, then just rendered to wav. Nothing special. BTW I'm not from Philly - my name's Phil.
    James D
    RE: FXPansion BFD Drum no limit Demo 2005/08/12 16:11:48 (permalink)
    BTW I'm not from Philly - my name's Phil.

Sorry Phil , I should have looked more closely at the location.

I have to try again using using your method. I inserted as DXI instrument, opened BFD selected the drum samples for groove and fill inst and expected it to record, Maybe I will use drum loops from P5 and see what happens. I still new to P5 so I am used to the Sonar Bounce method.

Thanks,

Peace

Sonar5
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1