Helpful ReplyFYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com

Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2017/11/28 23:00:24 (permalink)

FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com

I've had some people ask where they can get the books now that the store is closed. Both are now available on Reverb.com for $9.95 each. Here are the links:

The Big Book of SONAR Tips
Equalization De-Mystified

Also, the folks at Sound on Sound do want me to continue writing the Sonar column for at least a while longer, so that's good news.
post edited by Anderton - 2017/11/29 00:47:58

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/28 23:02:34 (permalink)
Cool!
Would have been a shame if the book was lost.
A great tool.
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 03:25:57 (permalink)
Thanks Craig!

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
THERAPSMITH
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 03:31:16 (permalink)
Thanks!
Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 03:39:44 (permalink)
Thanks Craig. I was wondering about all of those tips the other day. I'm glad to see they can still be purchased. The "EQ" looks interesting, too.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
patm300e
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 845
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 12:56:15 (permalink)
Can we anticipate the Big Book of Studio One tips now?  I already have the SONAR One!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
patm300e
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 12:56:15 (permalink)
Can we anticipate the Big Book of Studio One tips now?  I already have the SONAR One!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
Anderton
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 19:42:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/11/30 23:10:53
patm300e

PreSonus has asked if could write a book on "Mixing and Mastering with Studio One Pro" like the ones I did for SONAR and Cubase. I accepted. Don't know about tips, I still have that "24 hours in a day" problem.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/29 19:48:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/11/29 20:17:12
That's great news Craig,  what will you do with the other 23 hours?

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

patm300e
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 13:12:00 (permalink)
Anderton
patm300e

PreSonus has asked if could write a book on "Mixing and Mastering with Studio One Pro" like the ones I did for SONAR and Cubase. I accepted. Don't know about tips, I still have that "24 hours in a day" problem.

That is good news...You do an exceptional job of explaining things.  Can't wait for the book, but I realize there is a lot of preparation and arranging as well as writing that needs to be done.  I wish there was an easy chart like this:
                            IN SONAR:      In STUDIO ONE
New song              CTRL + N         Song, New Song

Something like this would go a long way in helping us fledgling Studio One guys.  I also realize that this would be an incredibly time consuming adventure!

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 14:20:57 (permalink)
Thanks Craig.

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Anderton
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 17:38:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/11/30 23:11:02
patm300e

That is good news...You do an exceptional job of explaining things.  Can't wait for the book, but I realize there is a lot of preparation and arranging as well as writing that needs to be done.  I wish there was an easy chart like this:

Something like this would go a long way in helping us fledgling Studio One guys.  I also realize that this would be an incredibly time consuming adventure!

PreSonus has reached out to me about doing something along these lines, we'll be talking about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. They genuinely feel bad about what's happened with Cakewalk, both to the employees and the users, and want to figure out what they can do to help. 

Zargg
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 17:47:48 (permalink)
That's good news in a sad time, Craig.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 17:51:15 (permalink)
Anderton

They genuinely feel bad about what's happened with Cakewalk, both to the employees and the users, and want to figure out what they can do to help. 

When I went to the first PreSonusphere and met a lot of the people running the company and developing the software, I walked away from the event feeling like I could really hang out with these guys. They were real, down to earth type people.

I am on board with them. Hope they let you do the 'Sonar to S1 Conversion' video/tutorial.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Afrodrum
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 559
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/11/30 21:58:41 (permalink)
Anderton
patm300e

PreSonus has reached out to me about doing something along these lines, we'll be talking about it tomorrow. Fingers crossed. They genuinely feel bad about what's happened with Cakewalk, both to the employees and the users, and want to figure out what they can do to help. 

Craig, you may tell them tomorrow I will switch to S1 Pro on the day "Big Book of Studio One tips" is released (or "mixing and mastering in S1", whatever).

Windows 10/64, Intel i7 Xeon X6575 3,07GHz, 24Gb RAM, chipset: Intel X58 Express, Kingston SSD 240Gb,  Sonar Platinum , Edirol UA-25.  (Some extra VSTs: PSP almost all/  IK - AT4, ST3, / AAS - all/ TH3 full/ +10dB/ Melodyne Editor). EVE sc205 monitors, Defil Kosmos guitar, blue lava lamp, ashtray.  And there is some great music you may find at: https://soundcloud.com/pawel-jan-1

RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/12/01 23:16:00 (permalink)
Anderton

Craig, big respect to you because I was reading your SOS articles before you could even dream of getting them online so I value you wisdom and experience.

I've some concerns though because it seems that some are so desperate to find a replacement DAW even before we know the full picture of Cakewalk and SONAR's fate!  If you note, Customer Support has responded to my thread and we've now a dialogue going on there so hopefully we'll have some answers now sooner rather than later so until "the fat lady sings", I'm not going anywhere because there's good reason to believe it's not all over because things aren't quite as they seem.

That being said, I've had a play with Studio One and I didn't have a great experience so I gave up.  For some time I've had Cubase Elements because a lot of other producers use it and so that I could look at their arrangements and extract what I needed, I installed Elements which requires no dongle and it's okay but again, I don't really like the interface and workflow.

So far, I have to say that Harrison Mixbus looks the best I've seen because the workflow and GUI seem very similar to SONAR!  I think because I come from an old-school studio environment where I was used to Mackies, etc, SONAR resembled this well which is why I got into it and so Mixbus looks as though it's from the same school of thought so perhaps that's why I like it best!

Well, unlike Studio One, it supports MIDI and unlike Cubase, there's no hardware dongle required so there's two massive pluses for me.  Have you had a good look at this DAW?

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
Anderton
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/12/02 17:48:15 (permalink)
RickJP909
Well, unlike Studio One, it supports MIDI and unlike Cubase, there's no hardware dongle required so there's two massive pluses for me.  Have you had a good look at this DAW?

First of all, Studio One does support MIDI. But, there are four main reasons I'll be doing more in Studio One.

1. No other DAW has the mastering page/song page integration. I still work on album projects from time to time and this feature is amazing. It's even useful just for making sure that individual cuts are consistent. Also the album assembly functionality, along with DDP export for CDs and digital format export for streaming, make it very convenient for publishing.
2. Because of (1), I've been using SOP in parallel with SONAR for years. So the only learning curve I need to do is for the Song page. 
3. The ARA integration is important, even though other programs have tightly integrated pitch correction, because it can do more than just deal with Melodyne (e.g., SONAR's Drum Replacer) and so there's potential for the future.
4. It's part of a developed ecosystem - controllers, interfaces, mixers, live performance, content, and integrated instruments like Presence XT.

I much prefer the Skylight interface look & feel, but then again, I don't like any DAW interface as much as Skylight.

RickJP909
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/12/05 22:12:28 (permalink)
Anderton

First of all, Studio One does support MIDI. But, there are four main reasons I'll be doing more in Studio One.

1. No other DAW has the mastering page/song page integration. I still work on album projects from time to time and this feature is amazing. It's even useful just for making sure that individual cuts are consistent. Also the album assembly functionality, along with DDP export for CDs and digital format export for streaming, make it very convenient for publishing.
2. Because of (1), I've been using SOP in parallel with SONAR for years. So the only learning curve I need to do is for the Song page. 
3. The ARA integration is important, even though other programs have tightly integrated pitch correction, because it can do more than just deal with Melodyne (e.g., SONAR's Drum Replacer) and so there's potential for the future.
4. It's part of a developed ecosystem - controllers, interfaces, mixers, live performance, content, and integrated instruments like Presence XT.

I much prefer the Skylight interface look & feel, but then again, I don't like any DAW interface as much as Skylight.

Okay Craig, yep I get the points 3 and 4.  However Mixbus is also part of a developed ecosystem which going forward appears to be important for ensuring a DAW has longevity in a modern world apparently.

However, regarding MIDI from what I can see Studio One doesn't support MIDI as comprehensively or natively as I'd expect it, well not like Sonar did which I find incredible really in this day and age.  Please feel free to correct me because I may be forced to finding an alternative DAW sooner than later and currently I'm struggling to find one that even ticks most of the boxes!

As I use hardware synths quite extensively, I do a lot of MIDI editing and automation.  I know MIDI backwards and I know most of the CC codes that I need to manipulate - hell it's a tried and tested protocol of 30 plus years so it's crazy not to have native support within the DAW!

From what I see, you can't import a MIDI file as such but you can drag and drop it?  Also, how about all those CCs?  It certainly doesn't seem to be able to export them or a MIDI type 1 file and this is something you'd want to do when sharing projects between DAWs so to me, features which are paramount.

If it wasn't for the dongle, it seems that Cubase would be my natural alternative.  I'm going to miss Sonar deeply the day it goes because there's nothing which looks as good, has such a good workflow and has so many of its features, which seem to be split up between the other DAWs around.

However, I will look forward to any articles which you do that feature comparisons or workarounds between how you achieve the same goals in Studio One as you would've using Sonar.

On that basis, Sonar was and still will be years ahead to my mind so it looks like I'll be sticking with it until the others catch up!  "Someone please save Sonar!!!"

Synth Hardware Aficionado!  Moog Sub 37, Roland MKS-70/XV-5080/JV-1000/JP-8000/JP-8080/Boutique JP-08, Oberheim Matrix-1000, Korg EX-8000/MS2000B, Novation Super Bass Station/A-Station/Drum Station 2/Supernova 2, E-MU Orbit-3, Edirol UM-550/880, Lexicon MX300, Akai MPD226, Mackie ProFX22, M-Audio Delta Soundcard.  PC: AMD FX-6350, 8GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Sonar X2a Producer/Platinum (32-bit).
Brando
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2776
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/12/07 16:29:49 (permalink)
Seems DP gets overlooked a lot - competitive crossgrade on sale now - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigPerf9cg

Brando
Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
Anderton
Re: FYI - "Big Book of SONAR Tips" and "Equalization De-Mystified" books now on Reverb.com 2017/12/07 18:10:41 (permalink)
RickJP909
I know MIDI backwards and I know most of the CC codes that I need to manipulate - hell it's a tried and tested protocol of 30 plus years so it's crazy not to have native support within the DAW!

But it DOES support MIDI. The only difference is that it interpolates internally between MIDI data points to eliminate zipper noise. This is not a new concept, the Panasonic DA7 mixer did it years ago to give 1024 steps of fader resolution instead of 128. As far as you know, you're still sending in standard MIDI data, importing it, exporting it, etc. But you may scratch your head as to why there's no zipper noise when you sweep the filter in a virtual synth hosted in Studio One at high resonance.

From what I see, you can't import a MIDI file as such...

You can open MIDI files. The only thing you need to know is that if you open an SMF via the file menu, S1 assumes you are starting a song and asks if you want to import General MIDI sounds. So if you've saved a mix of Standard MIDI Files and audio files and you insist on opening instead of drag and drop, you need to open the MIDI file first to start the song, then import the audio. However you can drag and drop an SMF into a song at any time, so you can import all your audio if you want and then drag in the MIDI file.

Also, how about all those CCs?  It certainly doesn't seem to be able to export them or a MIDI type 1 file and this is something you'd want to do when sharing projects between DAWs so to me, features which are paramount.

Of course it can export CCs along with a MIDI Type 1 file. You do lose S1's internal interpolation so the host that opens it just sees it as standard MIDI, not the high-res data that lives inside an S1 song.

However you can't export as a Type 0 file that collapses all the data. I never use that anyway, but if you need collapsed data, you can do so inside S1 prior to exporting.

I recommend downloading the demo and trying it for yourself, but bear in mind that you may not find what you're looking for in the same place as other DAWs. For example, there are differences between importing using the File menu or the Song menu. Also, there's no preference for having BWFs import at their time stamp (which is why their forums don't have the kind of posts we see in the SONAR forums along the line of "I dragged in an audio clip, and it ended up an hour down the timeline instead of where I put it!! SONAR sucks!! Switching to Reaper!!"). You need to select the audio files, then choose Edit > Move to Origin to snap them into position. 

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1