Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2008/10/24 19:50:14 (permalink)

Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers

Hello fellow Cakewalkians! Hope everyone is well.

Distant Towers has a new tune ready for comment. We would surely appreciate any listens and feedback we can get. All comments are welcome as usual. This one has a bit more MIDI stuff in it as we got Tom's studio MIDI stuff up and running over the last week or so.

The song is called Face The Music and is the top tune at this link.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=833098

Here is the raw data on this ditty...

Tom: Lyrics, vox, MIDI synths, bass guitar, mixing, tweaking

Robbie: Drums, lyrics, vox (MIDI to Addictive Drums via Yamaha DTEXTREME kit)....up till now Tom and Robbie have just been using stereo audio outs for recording and using the kits that come with the drum kit. Tom and Robbie got the AD Sonar drum map stuff worked out so we could start using it.

Tony: Guitars

This one was another relatively quick one for us (which is not our norm). We hope that you'll find something in it that you like.

Thanks!

28 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 04:25:05 (permalink)
    Hi Tony,

You know I'm a big fan of your songs, and boy, you're crankin' 'em out lately! This mix sounds fantastic through headphones (too early for speakers here), drums and bass are kicking through perfectly.

It's an interesting one this - on first listen it seemed a lot more accessible than your other songs, more straightforward.. on my 2nd listen now and all the little things that I like are revealing themselves, like that weird little vocal effect under the power chords before 'knocked off your feet'. You guys have boundless creativity, hats off to you.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 10:48:04 (permalink)
    Hello Tony,

Sure like the tune. At 2:35 break it really let me know what I "felt" about the take...the acoustic part in center is perfect feel to me. The acoustic on far right, I'd lose it.
    When it comes back in from break it seemed to me was the way the tune wanted to be. I don't know if I make sense to you...maybe that driving center acoustic, bass, drums with vocals are so very solid- so the guitar fills/leads have plenty of room and doesn't take much of them to complete the feel. I'm probably not relaying how I hear the tune.
    Really don't know how to say...less is more? Maybe that's it because of the very solid and driving rythm behind that great vocal part.
    This is one of the first tunes I've heard here that have all these great parts and I wanted to mix. That has nothing to do with your mix...I just felt "connected" to it for some strange reason.

Anyway I thinks great work all the way around.
    Michael
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 11:49:07 (permalink)
    0.0000000000002 cents:
    You animal!

Alternative genre is not my personal genre preference. Ah, ELO will never be the same (an old title by them too).
    Not a cuddly-kiddy song, but easy to drift into, especially for those into *occasional* self-medication use.

I love the widened telophonish pan a 1:00.
    Vox is louder and clearer at 2:45; I suspect this was intentional. 'Sort of building the vox up incrementally.

Somehow you've made music out of *artifact* noises: That is extremely interesting for me. I would love to know how you did it.

While the kick belongs centered, I'd probably prefer it a just a little off-centered and 'verbed back a little. (Please note my disclaimer, though).

For a 'quicky', I'm envious. This is probably 95% there. It takes me months to get 80%.

Oh, the hook is hauntingly catchy: "You gotta pay the price"

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 13:55:09 (permalink)
    I was waiting for the lyrics "Dirty deeds and they're done dirt cheap"..LOL! This song is pretty forward, straight ahead R&R, with a few slight twists and turns along the way. Like the wacky vox in the background. Tony, some excellent guitar tones you're using on this..nice variety of sounds. You guys just keep pushin' 'em out!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 18:43:11 (permalink)
    James: Thanks for stopping in and taking a listen with the "cans". What you said about hearing things on the 2nd listen is just the same type of thing I pick up on too. Tom puts all sorts of little "nuggets" in our tunes and sometimes I don't pick up on the more subtle ones until weeks later. The wierd little vocal thing is something that got me too. Thanks for the kind comments and the feedback. We have been getting more comfortable working together and we really don't get too hung up on making every one a masterpiece. We like to have fun first. This one seemed a little "schizo" to us but that's okay with us.

Michael: Thanks for taking a listen to our tune and for the great feedback. Some of what you are saying may stem from the fact that the idea for the tune was originally just the verse and chorus parts. I added a 45 sec intro to it and Tom pulled some areas apart to add space. We filled those up later. So really the tune was very simple at the start and then got pulled apart and had these offshoots put into it. I am going to listen with your comments up so I can hear the things you have specifically mentioned. Thanks for the specific info, we appreciate it. Thanks for the kind comments too.

Philip: Thanks much for taking the time to listen. Your comments are great and Tom is going to love them. I say that because he is the one where all these little nuances come from. The artifacts, the building of the vox and other things such as that. Drums are one area that Tom is always interested in getting comments on so we appreciate that. Tom is a real workhouse when it comes to Sonar and I try to keep pace with adding parts and some initial arranging so really it is a tag team effort and then Robbie will come in and just blast the drums off. So really we got a lot of hours coming together quickly to make a tune. It would take a lot longer if not for Tom's ideas for rearrangement and such. I would get stuck easily but Tom thinks nothing of doing a radical rearrangement to see how it will work.

Larry: Thanks for checking out the tune, we appreciate. Thanks for the nice comments. That intro was not much until Tom added those rock style vocals to it but it definitely felt straight up rock during that time. This one even seemed a bit strange to us as we worked on it. It might be the song equivalent of bed head, you know parts sticking out everywhere. Thanks for the guitar kudos but the varied sounds are just me being too lazy to document the patches or write them to a file so I can go back to them after the initial sessions. I hope to become a little more regimented in that way but sometimes it is too much fun just to start playing over stuff.

Thanks for all the other listens too! Don't be afraid to post any negative comments if you listened but didn't want to post. If someone posts something negative I'll try not to get to crazy about it. I won't take a handful of Flintstone chewable vitamins and chase it with Nestles Quik
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 19:03:27 (permalink)
    Very good mix, excellent production...
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/25 20:33:27 (permalink)
    Great as always.

My only crit is I find parts of the vox need a bit more processing, but I am not sure if its echo or delay. They just seem a tad dry (normal) for some parts of the song where they could be a bit more extreme.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/26 09:25:51 (permalink)
    Hey all..thanks for the listen and feedback. This project was odd and quirky from the start but we decided early on to just go with it....so all in all it was a fun ride. Putting this down was like putting a puzzle together and the main challenge was making all the pieces fit...which for the most part we're fairly happy with. As Tony stated this was birthed from testing out (should read "playing around") with our new midi capability (Thanks to Tony!!) to include Addictive Drums. Once again because of Robbie's availability we only spend a couple hours on the drum track to date but again we were fairly happy and I'm not sure if we'll go any further on this one...if I was a betting man I'd say we'll start a new song soon.

I'll try to sneak back and address each post but for now thanks again for taking the time and I hope everyone doing well!
    post edited by thepogue - 2008/10/26 09:41:51
    Taylor_514C
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1215
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/26 09:58:33 (permalink)
    This is a cool tune, and there's lots of wild twists and turns. When I listen to your songs, I never know what's coming next.

You guys write some groovers though, no matter what's going on, my head is bobbing to the beat. Lots of dirty guitar tones and excellent vox.

Only crit, maybe spread out the synth that kicks in around 0.50, JMO.

Taylor_514CMy Music:

CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/26 16:20:25 (permalink)
    notnat: Thanks for listening. We appreciate the feedback on the mix and production.

Shad: Thanks for taking this tune for a spin. We appreciate the feedback on the vox.

Douglas: Thanks for stopping in to listen. Thanks for all the kind comments. We always try to make an interesting tune. We appreciate that you found some things you like in our music. Thanks for the comment on the synth. That could make that area thicken up some. I'll take a listen.
    thepogue
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 09:21:57 (permalink)
    James- Thanks for the listen and feedback! Glad you picked up on all the lil goofy efx..lol

Michael- I'll go back in and listen a bit...but if you wanna mix her I'd be glad to shoot you the cwb. Just let me know!

Phillip- Thanks for the feedback and listen...I wouldn't even know where to start as far as the making sounds into music..I just push and pull and bend and twist...and then just toss'em in!

Larry- Thanks again brudda and I was really impressed by your last work also...loved it!
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 11:08:16 (permalink)
    Nothing to add but
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 11:16:13 (permalink)
    Thanks Mountainman! We appreciate the listen and are glad you liked it.
    SoulPuppy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 18:30:54 (permalink)
    This is my new favorite from you guys. The thing that really strikes me about your recordings is the attention to detail. There are always cool things going on during your songs. I can't even force myself to do second takes when I screw up!
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 19:09:58 (permalink)
    SoulPuppy,
    Thanks for stopping in to check out the tune, we appreciate it. I am glad you dig this one. Thanks for the kind assessment of the work. The attention to detail is all Tom. He really digs deep when we do a tune and puts in a lot of hours doing meticulous magic with Sonar. Tom puts so much little stuff in that I hear things weeks later that I missed.

You know screw ups are just a part of the fun, there is a particularly nice example of one from me in this tune. This is great fun even when it is less than perfect.
    post edited by CreatingNoise - 2008/10/27 19:12:48
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 19:22:41 (permalink)
    This is the first of your work I've had the chance to hear.............and ME THINKS ME LIKES IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 19:23:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thepogue

James- Thanks for the listen and feedback! Glad you picked up on all the lil goofy efx..lol

Michael- I'll go back in and listen a bit...but if you wanna mix her I'd be glad to shoot you the cwb. Just let me know!

Phillip- Thanks for the feedback and listen...I wouldn't even know where to start as far as the making sounds into music..I just push and pull and bend and twist...and then just toss'em in!

Larry- Thanks again brudda and I was really impressed by your last work also...loved it!

Tom I would love to have this to try and mix. Not that I could do better or even as good- I just love the tune and would have a blast - I've never mixed anything other than what Jeff and I have done.
    I didn't even know it was possible...that would be many "big" files wouldn't it?
    But if possible and you guys don't mind..I'd be honored.

Thanks Tom,
    Mike
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 20:22:47 (permalink)
    WOW alot going on in this tune but it came together nicely. Great tones on the lead vox nice and clear and love how it changes throughout the song. Really creative tune love when artist think out of the box. Also like your graphics on your SOUNDCLICK page and I guess thats your CD cover art. Those graphics really fit your style of music and create a nice finished look. EXCELLENT JOB GENTLEMEN!

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

thepogue
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/27 21:06:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys...

Taylor-Fox-Notnat, Glad you guys got a kick outta it...we sure had fun putting her together!

Soul-Cliff-M.Man, I know our stuff can be quite odd....but glad you found something your liked! Thanks again for taking the time.

Spacey - Sure bro...I'll shoot you a cwb if ya want! Of course we'll 'prolly be missin some plug ins. Shoot me an email @ thepogue@yahoo.com

Drumstixkev - Hey man thanks for the good words...I can tell from your posts in the past and your tunes we think along the same lines...nice to see another nut-case in the house! Thanks again!!
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 09:14:36 (permalink)
    Tony/Tom

Yeah, the fun aspect really comes across on this one, a nice fundamental groove, meaty mix and plenty of little trademark 'Towers' nuggets along the way, the snare sounds like it had a fist fight with the compressor and the compressor won would be my only minor nit pick if I had to choose one.

But this was a blast, I enjoyed it a lot.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 10:14:13 (permalink)
    You guys have a finely polished tune here. Superb mix and balance as far as my ears can go. Great guitar tones (as always) and nicely groovin rhythm.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 12:52:06 (permalink)
    Very creative stuff guys. Snare sounds overly compressed. Lots of cool production sounds here, I love some of the vocal effects. Great classic guitar tones. Sounds like it was fun to put together, great stuff!

Ed Edge

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 15:03:53 (permalink)
    +1 on the overly compressed snare.
    Interesting tune...kinda of all over the place.
    thepogue
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 19:24:56 (permalink)
    I'll go in and mess with Addictive Drums and see what Snare we used...it was pretty compressed I think it was a 12" Sonar but not at all compressed on our end...we've only had the program up adn running for a few weeks and just trying to fumble our way around...
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 20:08:42 (permalink)
    JonBouy, No How, Maxprizm, jamesyoyo:
    Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment. Thanks for the good feedback and for the kind comments.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/28 21:20:51 (permalink)
    Yeah!!! That snare was smacking... good job

I like your stuff, and this was no exception.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/30 20:46:23 (permalink)
    Yeah after about 0:50 it starts sounding like classic Distant Towers! Can you have "classic Distant Towers" after 7 songs?? Yes you can!!! As usually really love the creative changes in the arrangement and the little nuances. Really cool guitar tones and the synth parts really add to the texture and the BGVs are really cool. Nice job again guys!!

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    CreatingNoise
    RE: Face The Music, new tune by Distant Towers 2008/10/30 20:56:31 (permalink)
    Herb, thanks for checking the tune out. Glad you liked this strange little tune. Thanks for the nice comments about our stuff.

Dave, thanks for stopping in for a listen. Glad you liked it, thanks for the very kind comments. Making the music is great fun and having other folks chime in and even enjoy it is very sweet icing on the cake indeed. Thanks.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1