Facebook Live on PC

Author
GHOSTNOTES
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
2017/03/12 11:51:56 (permalink)

Facebook Live on PC

As we all see, Live is getting more popluar....

Problem is it's smartphone based. There are some applications that work with FB to live stream from the PC, and work well for what they do. You can use your webcam and a usb mic and away you go. What I'm looking for is something that will do that with multiple track input.
Is there anybody here familiar with live streaming from the PC to facebook? And if so do you know of something that will accept multiple track input? Everything i find only has provisions for a single track. 

Equipment:
Sonar
MSI Z170A Titanium Gaming motherborad
Intel i7-6800K
32Gb DDR4 3400
6X1TB Samsung SSD
EVGA 1080 Graphics
Alesis IO-26
PreSonus DigiMAX D8
http://www.myspace.com/peartfan1

2 Replies Related Threads

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Facebook Live on PC 2017/03/12 15:15:41 (permalink)
    I'm familiar.

There are a couple of ways to stream... it depends on whether you want to stream video...
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/youstream
    According to the site, this costs $99 per month. I know there are cheaper ways, but that was the result of my first google search.

The most common way I know people to share music is streaming just stereo audio at around MP3 quality using a streaming service and WinAmp.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Streaming_Music

Basically, you can pay around $5 per month (or $1 per day) to have up to 100 listeners on the stream. You control what you stream up. So, when I do this, I mix the band in RME TotalMix then run a stereo pair out into the stereo mic input on my monitor. That I send up to the streaming server using WinAmp. You could mix the band using Cakewalk Sonar. It doesn't matter what you use to mix up the stereo pair.

If you have an available Linux server, you can run your own streaming service.
    http://icecast.org/apps/

Anyone can click on the stream and listen to the audio (or put the stream into a stream player like Media Monkey or Win Amp or Second Life). I'm sure there are more stream players.

Next you want to arrange a place for all your listeners to give feedback and applause. You could do this in Facebook or any other chat scenario you want to set up on the web where your friends can collect.

Usually, there is a 2 second delay between what the band says into the mics and what your audience hears. Sometimes more than 2 seconds. So, if you ask for requests, you might want to go ahead an play a song while the requests come in and then read off the requests.

Now, your question was how to do it for many tracks... I don't know anyone who does that. I do know people who live apart who 'play together' by sending one stream to the second musician who adds to it and then sends up on a second stream to the audience. This way you can have one person doing vocals and rhythm and a second person who lives 1000 KM away adding lead.

To do this with multiple tracks would require multiple streams. While this is easy conceptually, you would need all the streams to work at the same latency so you could bring them all back together. This would give the second musician the ability to play on the multitrack version of the first.

Again... no one does this. I'm just hypothesizing about the problems and how you might be able to do it....

As long as the streams don't break, you could establish multiple streams and measure latency between a single transient... then offset the latencies of the incoming streams using a delay tool like ChannelTools to sync the tracks back up. If the latencies change you'd have to do it again.

post edited by gswitz - 2017/03/12 15:49:26

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    GHOSTNOTES
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 210
    Re: Facebook Live on PC 2017/03/12 15:48:10 (permalink)
    Sorry about not being clear

I'm just talking about me alone.

Yeah to try to sync across the internet.......

My idea was to be able to fire up my HD camcorder that i use as a webcam, start the video and have me playing live, with all the tracks monitored. I figured since most streaming services that can be sent to Facebook can see my internal sound like Realtek, Logitech mic built in to the cam  as a choice etc.. and any other single type input, it would make sense if there was a way to see/ set up multiple tracks. I would figure that the path would be similar to using sonar. For example the audio and video would be handled locally then processed out. At least to me it seems feasible that way.

I have done collaboration across the internet and it works great. I have even mastered multiple camera angles and applying the audio to video channels using Sonar along with Adobe. But thats after the fact.

Thanks

Equipment:
    Sonar
    MSI Z170A Titanium Gaming motherborad
    Intel i7-6800K
    32Gb DDR4 3400
    6X1TB Samsung SSD
    EVGA 1080 Graphics
    Alesis IO-26
    PreSonus DigiMAX D8
    http://www.myspace.com/peartfan1
    Jump to: