Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/02/04 15:20:40 (permalink)

Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End

A special thanks to Cian McGovern for his support, background vocals and coming up with a much more suitable chorus melody!

Another U2-influenced tune, more in line with their mid-90s stuff. Full of Bono-like religious imagery. Please, no one get offended by it, as I am not sure what it all means and I wrote the darn thing.

This was a real long slog of writing and mixing, started last September. There are about 20 vocal recordings, along with 9 guitar tracks (!), and a ton of Edge-y reverb and delay. The final chorus has five separate vocal lines going on simultaneously.  Honestly, folks, my ears are burned out, so I could use a few fresh perspectives.

Waiting For The End

The sun will rise in another hour or two
the city sky a quiet navy blue
It has a rhythm you can feel
It has a rhythm you can feel
and be free
(angels coming down from above)
and be free
(swearing that they coming in love)
and be free
(throwing elbows at what they're sick of ) of us baby

We're waiting for the end
Everybody seems to be
Waiting for the end
Until those angels sing with me

Planes fly and they never come back home
Hearts break and they never turn to stone
See the heavenly host arrive
leaves 'em bleeding, skinned alive

39 Replies Related Threads

thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 15:32:05 (permalink)
    I'll have to hold off on a techy listen when I get gome in a couple weeks...so I'll just jump in with a general comment and say I love it!!! She moves so well across the soundscape...and the lead break is killer...

this is an A++ but I'll be back with a better listen in a couple week...

Love it...
    patm300e
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 15:38:35 (permalink)
    Wow, nice.  Very clean mix.  Commercial quality.  Like the La, La, La part.

I am listening on my laptop with ear buds right now.  This sounds much better than the crap that is on the "radio" right now...I am a fan!

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    bayoubill
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 15:54:05 (permalink)
    What a sound James! I wish I could make my stuff sound this good.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

patm300e
    • Total Posts : 845
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 15:58:21 (permalink)
    bayoubill

+1

SPLAT on a Home built i3 16 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Home Premium 120GB SSD (OS) 2TB Data Drive.  Behringer XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. FaderPort control.
    philz
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 16:40:50 (permalink)
    Definitely a rocker in the U2 vein, and very well done.  The track sounds great and so do the vocals.  Who did all those BG vox voices?  The only comment I have is that you've got an intriguing lyric there, but it's a bit hard to pull it out, so maybe the lead vox lines need to be a bit more out front?  Excellent tune and performance all around though, James.
    ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 17:19:12 (permalink)
     Awesome, you and Cian sound great together. Along with U2,  echoes of Duran Duran and Tears for Fears, great to hear a fresh new tune in this style. Pro sounding production.

Me

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 17:29:38 (permalink)
    I can definitely hear the U2 influence. Nice song and production. This rocks .... I know it's the way U2 does it often, but I think I would bring some of those really tasty leads up front a bit - there are quite a few which are right up there but occasionally there are some really tasty tidbits that are washed out. This sounds really fine with my headphones with a decent usb interface, but I'll be back tonight to listen on my DAW.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 18:07:06 (permalink)
    Wow what a great mix.   I wish I could get my reverb to sound like that, lol.   What's your secret?

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

rockinrobby
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 18:16:42 (permalink)
    Allah Akbar! I'm offended by the infidel!!

I like it, it's definately what you said, sounds like U2. 

I think the overall mix could be a little brighter? like on the mains? But maybe not. 

Send it to me, and I'll redo the bass and drums and mix it for you? LOL! 

And I'm waiting for the "end?" Butt it has a different connotation...

post edited by rockinrobby - 2011/02/04 18:18:02

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 19:12:51 (permalink)

Your stuff is always so well (put together) that "that" comes to the forefront of
    my perception (of your work) as if to say that I notice (that first) and the "mix"
    secondly in contrast to me maybe noticing "the mix" first. Often times your mixes
    are similar in "tone" to the concept of clean. What your mixes don't generally
    have is what I'd call fatness. I'm not implying that your mixes lack in any way at all,
    because everyone knows just how great you are at it.

You displayed just how great you are at mixing etc on Robbys tune. The parts in
    it are very lush and warm sounding yet clear and distinctive. It really brought out the
    performances and made them shine so well. Maybe in the case of having less
    stuff to mix or the style or other things had you think differently or go for that
    difference in what and how that you approached and did things.

"On this" at the start I was noticing a compressed sound. Later I got used to that
    but things started sounding "washed" and a lack of low end punch. And the "verb"
    subject was a little bit strong. In comparing the concept of your mixes to U2
    and such (I'm not an authority) on that subject as I don't have the experience
    with that that you do. What I do have is an "idea" or at least some small
    (I've heard that) subject.

It makes me wonder if back then (If I'm using the term back then properly)
    that if they had todays technology that they would have focused more on
    "tone quality"  and less verb. In other words less "verb space" and more
    low end, warmth or punch.

I don't know and can only speculate, but that is what I wonder here in your case
    on the mix. Such as more fatness, less verby? more distinction whereas the
    amount of parts in itself will give it a bit of space by the nature "of more parts".

This mix also has a chorusy sound to it in the way of sounding layered. I perceive it
    that way anyway.

Anyway (as usual) you did an awesome job on this and all I'm doing giving some
    thoughts as you seem to (in your thread) speak of wanting a fresh perspective.
    So I'm not thinking of crits in my remarks, just thoughts.

Oh? I've been noticing your bass guitar sound lately and playing. it sounds very
    good. If your doing something differently I hear that (or) I'm just noticing the
    bass more.

Great job James
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 19:58:48 (permalink)
    jimmyman

Your stuff is always so well (put together) that "that" comes to the forefront of
    my perception (of your work) as if to say that I notice (that first) and the "mix"
    secondly in contrast to me maybe noticing "the mix" first. Often times your mixes
    are similar in "tone" to the concept of clean. What your mixes don't generally
    have is what I'd call fatness. I'm not implying that your mixes lack in any way at all,
    because everyone knows just how great you are at it.

You displayed just how great you are at mixing etc on Robbys tune. The parts in
    it are very lush and warm sounding yet clear and distinctive. It really brought out the
    performances and made them shine so well. Maybe in the case of having less
    stuff to mix or the style or other things had you think differently or go for that
    difference in what and how that you approached and did things.

"On this" at the start I was noticing a compressed sound. Later I got used to that
    but things started sounding "washed" and a lack of low end punch. And the "verb"
    subject was a little bit strong. In comparing the concept of your mixes to U2
    and such (I'm not an authority) on that subject as I don't have the experience
    with that that you do. What I do have is an "idea" or at least some small
    (I've heard that) subject.

It makes me wonder if back then (If I'm using the term back then properly)
    that if they had todays technology that they would have focused more on
    "tone quality"  and less verb. In other words less "verb space" and more
    low end, warmth or punch.

I don't know and can only speculate, but that is what I wonder here in your case
    on the mix. Such as more fatness, less verby? more distinction whereas the
    amount of parts in itself will give it a bit of space by the nature "of more parts".

This mix also has a chorusy sound to it in the way of sounding layered. I perceive it
    that way anyway.

Anyway (as usual) you did an awesome job on this and all I'm doing giving some
    thoughts as you seem to (in your thread) speak of wanting a fresh perspective.
    So I'm not thinking of crits in my remarks, just thoughts.

Oh? I've been noticing your bass guitar sound lately and playing. it sounds very
    good. If your doing something differently I hear that (or) I'm just noticing the
    bass more.

Great job James

I think the reason my Robbie song sounds "fatter" (a qualitative, not quantitative, perception) is that I had an easy anchor to build around: that man can sing. I cannot. So I am forced by my own shortcomings to focus on styles and mixes, as opposed to performance (which believe me, would be so much easier!). In this U2 style that I chose, it is all about using reverbs and delays to create a wall of sound that is fairly indecipherable, and many of the U2 records are not what anyone would call "fat", but actually kinda sparse.  When I was younger I tried to figure out "Pride in the Name of Love", but unless you understand how the Edge layers his guitars, you would scratch your head trying to figure it out. While the Edge uses multiple guitars and setups to achieve this effect, I am using sadly only a single guitar, and am finding it is becoming increasingly difficult to pull off these immensely layered guitar parts with its singular tonal qualities.  I am looking to get a Strat next month as a result.

As for the clean mixes statement, I agree. I am still learning all this mixing stuff, and while I am becoming proficient at the "clean" sound in all genres, I long to get good enough to mix with "style" and "character", which I think any honest listener would not say about my mixes. Doing a decent job of giving each part of the arrangement its own space kinda prevents the nice harmonic distortion that gives a fat sound. 

I am not sure how compressed this song is, but it is kinda huge, with a ton of parts all vying for room. And while I probably have 20+ compressors running, most of that is for boost and punch on individual tracks/busses, but not limiting.  The last 15 seconds, with all the five vocal lines looking for their own space, was particularly challenging, as the amount of HPF'ing I did would shock a lot of people.  In the end, this song turned out not as I imagined it, but as I could manage it, if that makes sense.

Hope you are feeling better, my friend.
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 20:16:23 (permalink)
    Tom Bill Philz Pat:

Thanks. Cian is singing in the chorus only, the rest is me and my many voices.

Grant:

Glad you picked up on the Duran knick. The sha la las sounded so good I thought of introing with them, but then it occurred to me it was too much a ripoff of "The Reflex". 

Tap:

U2 is all about the drone and layering of guitars, so buried they shall remain!

Mathew:

There is hardly any reverb of the vocals, only the guitars, not really any on the drums or bass. The way it is mixed gives a wash of reverb, but is is fairly isolated.

Robbie:

It might be a tad dull, I will have to take a listen again in a few days away from it. And I have no inclination of putting you through what I just went through with MP.

rockinrobby
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/04 20:34:49 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, my ex opened her FX bin and applied fatter.vst on our honeymoon and liked the way it sounded, so she never took it off  

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/05 07:42:41 (permalink)
    rockinrobby "Send it to me, and I'll redo the bass and drums and mix it for you? LOL!"

Ha, this cracked me up man, I know if I was asked to mix and master a track for James, I would go the quickest way about destroying it.

Enjoyed helpin' out on this one, well rounded tune, the melody and instrumentation is top notch.

I think that one of the biggest praises is james "vocals", for a man that so honestly puts down his own vocals on songs, I think he carried this one off nicely, and really suits the song.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/05 20:18:48 (permalink)
    -- 2:44 middle is ultra sweet to my ears ... 'tis those backing vocs

-- guitars are wonderful

-- groove is solid

-- elements of psychedelia, alt rock, classic rock, and a lot of sweet cascading melodies countering.

-- my ears inclined to 'hear the words' a bit in sections ... I suppose they'd be clearer on repeat listens and/or with some EQ sculpting or such.

In sum, despite a little 'ear adjustment' during 1st minute, this is my fav of yours to date: 10/10

Message/Lyrics, Guitars, Groove, Melodies, Vibe ... they all seem cascade into the wonderful middle and finale.  This seems a unique and powerful concept.  Great collab!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    RockingChair
    • Total Posts : 803
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/06 01:02:27 (permalink)

James this is GREAT!!! One of the best I've ever heard on these forums no doubt about that.

I must ask, what is your setup and what are you using to recording with, software etc????  What rates are you recording at and mixing down with? I know it has nothing to do with the AWESOME performance, but the clarity is over the top and I'm sure others would like to know also.  Sorry if you've already posted that info. but I'm not on here all the time.

Excellent all the way around!!!! On a scale from 1-10 I'll give it a 15 because it's just than dang good!!!!!!!!

I hope you an Cian do more, you should, this is just too good of a start to not do so, that's the only advice I can give ya.

PROPS!

Bobby

Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/06 04:06:14 (permalink)
    Hi, James,

Another catchy, U2 / Duran Duran style pop rocker with a nice clean, pro sounding mix!  Great vocal performance, and I really love that clean, shimmery rhythm guitar tone that drives the whole song.

Good stuff, buddy!
    Bob
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/06 13:12:52 (permalink)
    Great song, arrangement and production.  The mix is very good as usual with your stuff.  You can hear everything very cleanly and parts don't clash with each other.  It is a big sound.  I like the guitar parts.  The drums sound great - is that Superior Drummer 2?  I don't really have any suggestions for improvement.  
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/06 13:37:40 (permalink)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/06 14:39:09 (permalink)
    James. Great work. Good song. Captured the U2 style for sure.

In general the verb overpowered the vocal line and drums. I felt like the drums were in the public bathroom, behind the storage shed on the south 40. But not entirely in a bad way.
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/07 15:03:28 (permalink)
    Philip:

It's been a while since I made a new favorite for you, so mission accomplished.

Bob:

How you doing, buddy? Thanks for the listen.

Geno:

It is indeed SD2.0, and they do sit so nicely in the mix!

Wookie:

Bapu:

The drums are almost totally dry. The guitars, by nature of the genre, are where they are, i guess. Hope you are more forgiving with Spockpit.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/08 18:51:51 (permalink)
    finally got a chance to listen, sorry for the lateness james.

this is an amazing composition. so much going on in the guitar tracks. the U2 influence is very strong, of course, but this shows a melodic awareness The Edge has never shown.
    downside is the vocal, which is OK, but with the guitar too there is just too much going on in that mid-range, and that area is compressed to death. this is one mix which would benefit from going thru one of those 52 channel SSL desks they use in big studios in LA...
    love the bass and drums, and i can appreciate the work you have done to get it to this stage.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/10 11:31:38 (permalink)
    Hi James,

Great song!  Definitely has the U2 and 80s vibe.

Incredible mix, as always, and an outstanding arrangement, too.

Love the guitar tones.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/10 20:51:39 (permalink)
    oh yeah... This is way cool...
    Great work guys...
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/11 08:02:40 (permalink)
    This sounds great.  I really liked the guitars through the entire mix.  The vocal has a good pocket in the mix as well.  Nothing steps on it.  The only minor thing is that the drums felt like they were a little bit off center which may be on purpose.  It just felt a little bit heavy to one side because of the drums being off center.

Excellent work!

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    bshehan
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/11 13:07:03 (permalink)
    Hi James,
    Not much I can say that hasn't already been said.  Enjoyed the song a lot.  So well put together.  The production value was excellent, professional.  I'm not gonna lie: I'm jealous as hell.   Loved the vibe of this song.  It's a great listen, and yes it took me back to the 80's/90's, where I live so often on my iPod. 
    Also listened to your remix of Missing Person.  Wow!

http://reverbnation.com/bradshehan

Sonar X1a (well, I'm trying anyway)
    Sonar 8.5.1 PE
    Vista X64  SP1
    Q9400 quad core
    8GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GT230 1.5gb
    M Audio Fast Track Ultra
    thepogue
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/11 15:31:15 (permalink)
    kk I'm back off the road and got my studio ears on...

as stated above many times this is a well lubed machine so I'll cut to the chase and tell you what I think doesn't work too well...

@ :30  your using a falsetto vox in "it has a rhythm you can feel" and although the pitch and notes are dead on it's not at all convincing to my ears...the lower of the vox there I'd push forward and maybe double up then brush back that falsetto one so it can be felt but not demanding of my attention...it (the higher notes) comes across a bit better @ :44ish when you have a go at it again as that section is phrased with a lil "schtick" or so it seems...so it does work a bit better there but it still kinda reeks of "guy doin girl part"...now if you could have someone sit in to throw the real deal in there...(Fvox that is)..I fully hear what you where shooting for and I think it would be a home run. This all once again happens next verse...but here the funny thing is...when you do the "La la la la la's" @ 1:50 it works very very well..why?...its the same tone? IMO It's because this section is spoofie and jovial...so your vox there works better than a fvox!!..and I LOVE the way it drops into the next part @ 1:58 that very serious sounding "oh oh oh ohsss".....its like sugar then salt!!...I love to hear gears shifting like that..that is a piece of greatness hidden there!

Now back up to 1:33ish....you stop this section with a double snare hit followed by the obligatory U2 double guitar gangle...I think that's much like having 2 punctuation marks at the end of the sentience...I'd like to see them hit dead on..or nix one or the other..and have a wee bit of dead space there for a breath..this song is soaked with great lil jingles and gangles...a clear breath i believe would work well here.....I think I do a pop-pop snare quarter note or half note of silence then kick it in again

The above vocal parts for me are really deal breakers sorry to say...easy fixes (for my ears) but I can't get past them....of course once I do there a gemstone..I know this..I just can't look beyond.

The 1:33 deal is like adding more or less ketchup to a burger..no more than that..but again for me...I'd work that to my taste and I think this song would enjoy the space.

From 1:58 I'm not sure I could give this tune any higher marks and that includes all the vocal parts...really really brilliant!

A++ all the way round and I think tunes like this stand tall in a world of very ordinary noise.

Great job!

post edited by thepogue - 2011/02/11 17:07:38
    vechung
    • Total Posts : 818
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/11 16:53:45 (permalink)
    Great song and production!  You are the master. 

http://www.soundclick.com/vicentechung
    https://soundcloud.com/thefoundandthelost

Vicente 

Sonar Platinum, Live 10, Motu 828, Ozone 7
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: Waiting for the End 2011/02/11 18:16:12 (permalink)
    Great song and production James. Kudos. Love the vocals.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1