Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/08/19 16:46:23 (permalink)

Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern

Good to be back, posting some new stuff again. Apologies for my inconsistent posting on other people's songs this summer....just needed some time off, I guess.

Now there is an interesting story behind this one. I got into Elvis Costello and the Brodsky Quartet's terrific "Letters to Juliet" CD back in 1993, and thought, "Hey! I can do that!". Well, I certainly could write something like that, but it took a few years (ok, decades) for the technology to make up for my meager playing skill level. The original recording was done on an Korg M1, really just me singing along with a spacey piano and some drums. It was so bad, that I had to send it to Janet to figure out some of the chord phrasings I used! (Thanks again, Jan!)

Anyway, I started doing a full orchestration of it using my recently purchased IK Miroslav Philharmonic ($39, what a steal!), and of course also realized that there was no way I could do it justice vocally. So I enlisted the always-game Cian McGovern (Whack) to provide his excellent voice to it. The pro that he is, he nailed it in two takes.

The lyrics are somewhat cryptic; it is a composite story of some folks I knew in Manhattan, so there is actually a meaning behind them...I will be interested to see if anyone figures it out. Thanks for the listen!

Look Away

Alison's brilliant career had the shine of the cover to a magazine
The electric spark perfectly captured the envy of the members of her local scene 
Despite the inherent contradictions of the advice freely given on the checkout line
She performed with precision the faceless walk of a pantomime

"A Calling to Arms" was the hackneyed titled dime store novel Steve was attempting to write
Describing the action took liberties he felt that were justified
His editor surely took notice of the indirect manner in which Steve approached his craft
But chalked it up to another case if writer's cramp
One, two, three times a day
he might give the old window a glance
Earthen bed, high on the sill, lies dormant as the weeks advance
he asks
"Where are the sounds of Spring to the air, that yell to the Winter I've won?
It's apparent as the days grow longer, but where is the warmth of the sun?"
Their third floorwalk-up was a masterpiece devoted to epicurean delights
With constant invitations someone would be over to crash on the couch for the night
The take out order always came wrong regardless how the delivery boy tried
The egg rolls were cold and the soda ran warm and
Alison found no fortune inside
Look look away
can't look him square in the eye
Gone is the debonair repartee
replaced with a thinly veiled sigh
"Where are the sounds of Spring in the air, that yells to the Winter I've won?
It's apparent as the days grow longer, but where is the warmth of the sun?"

This is a dark age
This is a dark age for us all

post edited by jamesyoyo - 2011/08/20 07:15:47

50 Replies Related Threads

MannyNY
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/19 18:34:04 (permalink)
    I’m blown away with the quality of the recording, the use of dynamics, the slowing down, speeding up . . .all so well executed. A+ on the production. Vocal is perfect (maybe a bit overpowering in some places for me but still, so well done). I can’t get a feel for the lyrics though – I understand it’s about a citified couple that seem to have lost that loving feeling when their dreams didn’t quite pan out – but I know I am missing something here. Very “broadway/theatrical” sounding  - so to my ears it’s more interesting than it is melodic (in a pretty way). The transitions work well. As always, your efforts produce something at the highest level (my fav is still the crazy Slum Dog type piece you did, sorry can’t remember the name – that totally blew me way). Great stuff.
    BIABDude
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/19 19:21:03 (permalink)
    song + + + 1     IK stuff +1
    Maxprizm
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/19 19:52:16 (permalink)
    Wow man, seriously ambitious project here. Extremely creative and sounds very convincing and well executed to me. I use to hang with an art crowd and they would blast Andrew Loyd Weber tunes constantly. This brought me back to those days. Mix sounds wonderful, I'd say you definitely captured the essence of the genre. Who are Allison and Steve?..

Ed Edge

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 08:34:56 (permalink)
    This is a bit out of the "box" for you. Quite an interesting song. Miroslav sounds great. Good job.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 08:52:17 (permalink)
    Different

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 10:38:41 (permalink)
    Excellent!  Everything is top notch.  The orchestration is very well done and you've mastered the orchestration.  Makes me want to buy Miroslav Philharmonic.  The lyrics are really good even though I haven't been able to figure them out totally.  Vocals are excellent, mix is excellent.  Could be a movie soundtrack or in a broadway show.   
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 11:51:41 (permalink)
    Wonderful production guys, like a Broadway musical with lyrics by Billy Joel and vocals by James LaBrie from Dream Theater

James, the orchestration is superb, top notch work.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 12:53:41 (permalink)
    wow....brilliantly done!  I grinned at  the line "The take out order always came wrong regardless how the delivery boy tried" and the big pay-off line(s) "Where are the sounds of Spring in the air, that yells to the Winter I've won?
    It's apparent as the days grow longer, but where is the warmth of the sun?" are just awesome. As suggested above this is very ambitious indeed and you pulled it off in "spades"

I get a distinct XTC feel to this piece which is always a good thing for me as I'm a huge fan....of them AND this great tune.

A+++
    Welcome back!
    Basradaem
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 422
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 13:44:55 (permalink)
    This is a hell of a tune.  The orchestration is brilliant.  Vox are excellent.  Production quality is amazing.  Great job James and Cian!

Luke Sarro
    --------------
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit on Windows 10 x64 

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 15:35:24 (permalink)
    Kudos to you, James, for  pushing back from your musical comfort zone (at least so far as I know it).  It takes guts and skill to pull something this ambitious off, and you did it.  The orchestration felt massive, yet perfect for the song... almost like a big Broadway kind of number.

And Cian's incredible vocal performance more than validated your choice of a vocalist.  Wow, when he hit that 'Spring in the air' part I damn near to fell out of my chair.  It was that kinda' great.

Production?  What can I say?  I would not even attempt this.  Superb job.
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 19:08:57 (permalink)
    Wow James. This is just FANTABULOUS...  
    It's so far beyond anything I would do or even try I don't really have any crits as it's just way way out there for me. But, the time, energy, and skills involved in getting this to sound ths way is mind boggling.  Great work Yoyo.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/20 20:20:55 (permalink)
    Well, this has certainly grown up in the last few weeks!  I'm quite impressed.  This is just beautiful and majestic and so well done.  Great job singing too, Cian! 

Glad you figured out the chords I couldn't.

But Miroslav for $39?  Wow--where was that deal when I bought EWQL??

Superb!

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 03:33:43 (permalink)
    Excellent, fantastic, superb, incredibly rediculous, spacious, inspiring, excellent execution, mood, performance, writing, arranging and production....PERIOD. That covers everything...ok, almost...ummm...WOW this was awesome! You guys make a great team! :)

-Danny

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 06:36:22 (permalink)

Stunning

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 12:18:54 (permalink)
    This is some SeriousNoize!!!!   

I can't believe it.....this is top shelf production work!

String Jammer
    mstodge
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 13:42:09 (permalink)
    James,

I've listened to this quite a few times now and i'm blown away each time.
    I'm always stunned by the quality of your mixing skills. The sound on this is truly fantastic.

The intro to this was exceptional, As was the build up to the verse. This singing is sublime.

Two very small crits from me 
    1. The crashes at 3:01 and onwards, they seem really weak to me.
    2. The roll effect at 3:53, it threw me off a little. 

I absolutely love the section from 4:00 and on. Really beautiful that.

All in all, a very well put together masterpiece.

Look forward to more of this type of work from you.

Mark.
    post edited by mstodge - 2011/08/21 14:00:54
    shawn@trustmedia.tv
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2136
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 13:52:19 (permalink)
    +1 on the intro...fantastic...you pushed a thousand dollars out of that $39.00 purchase...some kind of musical....

Studio SONAR X3. Axiom 25 midi controller, DUNE 2, Producer Content, Good Times, Bandlab Mojo

morenoise
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 14:00:32 (permalink)
    James, wow, just wow.

Rik
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 16:56:44 (permalink)
    Superb music making.   I love it.  Barrels of fun and very theatrical.  Cian is fabulous.  You guys rock.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    krsongs
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 18:03:03 (permalink)
    Nice job James and singer Cian!

Everything sounded fantastic! I have Miroslav Philarmonik too, but I paid a whole $99 from guitar Center ha ha!

But no way can I use it like you do. Keep exploring it and post more... ALL of your stuff is top notch!

Kiki

Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer
    Dell Optiplex 320
    Intel Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
    Win XP Pro SP3
    2.0 Gb RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
    Rocstor Rocpro 850 external USB HD
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/21 18:46:06 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for the great comments everybody. Funny thing is, except for a few transitions, this is pretty much what I wrote almost twenty years ago. Good stuff never gets old, it just gets updated... :) I always appreciate that y'all like my indulgences into these off-beat paths.

I just want to thank Cian again for his excellent reading of this tough piece. His first take he sent me resulted in a detailed 17-bullet critique going through phrasing and note choice. He took it as well as one can imagine, and then did what I had envisioned in my head all those years ago. Kudos to him for really selling the song.

As for the story: Steve is an artist, Alison makes the money. She finds out she is pregnant, is torn over what that might mean to their lifestyle, and then quite quickly decides to have an abortion. Steve knows nothing about what happened. But then things start going wrong for them: he suddenly can't write, their flowers won't grow, they lose interest in cooking (no more "epicurean delights"), even the take-out goes haywire. The karmic reprecussions are everywhere, so much so that she can't look him in the eye anymore. 

When I wrote this, it was really not to take any side on the debate. But I could see in the lives of some people I knew that the aftermath of it is real, and not often spoke of. Where I stand today, I still am unsure.

Some specific replies:

Manny:
    There are a ton of subtle tempo changes in this recording, as I was trying to mimic the whims of a conductor. Glad you noticed, as it was a pain to get right without being obvious.

Ed:
    Ha! I totally ripped off ALW's Phamton of the Opera with that chromatic run after the 1,2,3 line! I had a girlfriend who got me into Broadway a year earlier, and that was a big influence on this piece.

Phil:
    Anyone could attempt something like this...making it work is another story!

Scotty:

I have an idea: why don't you sit back in a Rocking Chair while Bob-bing your head to this Serious Noize!  ;)

Mark:
    I had a feeling I would hear from you, seeing as this is your wheelhouse. Yeah, I mixed some Battery 3 orch perc with the perc stuff in Miroslav and TBH I kinda lost what was what...there were over 30 tracks of orchestra and the midi after a while looked like that stuff from the Matric movies. I was surprised at the levels of compression I had to use during the mix, on almost every track and bus. I feel I lost some of the "space" of the feel to get the punch the tune required.

Kiki:
    Sure you can do it. I used hardly any envelopes on any of the string, winds or brass stuff. The trick, I have found, is to familiarize oneself with the the different actions (legato, strach, pizz, etc), and know when to use them to convey the emotion you want to get across.
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 03:36:08 (permalink)
    Hey James, what to say? except this is absolutely superb. Cian makes a surprisingly good theatrical tenor! the orchestration must have taken you months! i too got in on the cheap offer for Miroslav, but have yet to dust it down...this sure makes me want to! Unbelievable tekkers!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 04:19:48 (permalink)
    Hi, James,

This is both very impressive and highly creative!  It almost feels operatic, and definitely has a a professional Broadway feel to it!

The Miraslav Philharmonic sounds terrific and amazingly authentic, (especially for 39 bucks!!!), and Cian's dynamite vocals truly fit the song like a glove.  The mix has a high quality professional sheen that really stands out for this genre.

Great songwritng and clever lyrics, as well as dynamite performances by both of you.  Excellent job, guys!
    Bob
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 12:36:19 (permalink)
    James,

Very believable orchestral performance and arrangement.  Sounds like the real thing.   Very creative composition.  Vocals are outstanding, mix is as well.   The tempo changes really give it depth.  Good work.

Regards

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 15:28:36 (permalink)
    fantastic gentlemen!!!  truly fantastic!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 16:36:32 (permalink)
    Not what I listen to and don't know if I'm qualified to comment but it sounded great. Singer was very good as was everything.
    CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/22 20:14:45 (permalink)
    Wow, that is soooo not what I was expecting.  What a fantastic piece!  Unbelievable in it's quality, the complexity of the lyrics, the awesome vocals and that amazing orchestration.  Man, beautiful stuff, just great.  I am glad that I am not familiar with your references on this one (well I know who Elvis Costello is but can't recall hearing a single tune of his) because it might have spoiled my perception of this very cool tune.  Great stuff!
    whack
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1188
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/23 05:40:01 (permalink)
    Again, as I said before James this is some quality material, the orchestration is fantastic and the more I listen to it the more I come to appreciate the level of detail and the superb dynamics that you have created within the track.

The lyrics in this take it to a new level that most people wont even realise, I certainly didnt!

Im glad people like the vocal, certainly without doubt, one of the more challening songs I have every done, the diction was so important and that chorus was really verging on the edge of my vocal range.

Pleasure as always.

Cian

www.cmcgmusic.com

Melody and Meaning
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Factory Yoyo presents: "Look Away", featuring Cian McGovern 2011/08/23 09:31:06 (permalink)
    Hi James,

This is totally amazing!

The quality of writing, the production, the use of dynamics and the overall attention to detail are just incredible.

Great call on getting Cian to sing it...he absolutely owns the vocal.

Great work from both of you.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1