Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry

Author
jamesyoyo
Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3460
2011/06/09 20:27:57 (permalink)

Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry

Yesterday I was searching for some inspiration and started working on the remix of Jimmyman's "I Know (Original Version)", featured Frank Tanton.  Jimmy and I worked on it about two years ago, and it just kinda fell off our collective map. I had gotten some new plugins that I thought would go great on Jimmy's voice.

In fact, I PM'ed Reece this morning to see if he had any news on Jimmy.

I finished the remix about 30 minutes ago, and while it was bouncing down, I checked in and saw the terrible news.

Though I never spoke with him, I thought the world of him. And I know all of us did. Just a great, kind soul.

So, as a fitting and eerily-timed tribute to our good friend, take a listen and open a cold one in his honor. As he sings in this song, "Ain't Life a wonderful thing?" Indeed it is, and we shall miss him...

Rest in peace, friend.

"I Know".

29 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 20:43:27 (permalink)
    Life is a beautiful thing.

Good remix.  Jimmy wrote some good songs.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 21:00:58 (permalink)
    thank you James.  this is a wonderful tribute to our friend.  bless you.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 21:01:42 (permalink)
    nice job James....

Jimmy will be missed deeply by those he touched....

drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 21:17:09 (permalink)
    THANKS for posting, James.
    Rest in Peace, Jimmy.

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 21:54:48 (permalink)
    There's no way I could listen to this now, but I will try soon.  Thanks, Jim. 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 23:16:07 (permalink)
    Janet

There's no way I could listen to this now, but I will try soon.  Thanks, Jim. 

ditto

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    rockinrobby
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1265
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/09 23:52:58 (permalink)
    It's a great tribute James, I listened to it earlier. We can live on through our music...

http://www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

Evil lurks here among us again... "Beware."
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/10 20:51:44 (permalink)
    I remember this one.  Thanks for sharing your collab.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/10 20:56:54 (permalink)
    the good die young...

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/10 21:28:48 (permalink)
    Listening to this is bitter-sweet. Lovely song and nice remix.

String Jammer
    Janet
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/10 21:31:44 (permalink)
    Yes, I remember this one now. Thanks for posting it, Jim.  I like your remix.  I think he really did consider life a wonderful thing.  He spoke of helping and encouraging others and how much he enjoyed that...and he sure evidenced it here. 
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/10 21:33:02 (permalink)
    Beautiful song and a stellar mix....one tiny nit:  It sounded like maybe the crash hits were a tiny bit hot....i may have just fried my cans.

Thank you, James, for posting this lush piece.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/11 08:25:05 (permalink)
    Very cool - thanks for sharing. I don't think it was coincidence that you started working on this again. Funny how things happen.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/11 09:35:52 (permalink)
    Well done... Thanks James... that took me back... Jimmy and I had a few long phone conversations about the music scene in Nashville, guitars, motorbikes, recording-studios, song-forums, musicians we both knew, or had met... future projects, life and death... he was a lovable guy and always a pleasure... 
    I will miss him...

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/11 10:15:39 (permalink)
    Well done James.  It's nice to hear Jimmy's voice and some great guitar work.  We will miss him.
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 10:32:40 (permalink)
    Bump for Jimmy's memory....
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 11:07:39 (permalink)
    Good stuff James, nice tribute.

Man, he could play and sing.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 12:27:03 (permalink)
    for Jimmy he will be missed

for the tribute James.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 14:54:13 (permalink)
    James, you did a fine job on this and I'm sure Jimmy would have been proud of it. Frank, you played superbly!

I was totally shocked to find out the bad news. Jimmy and I had exchanged correspondences for a short while and I really got to know a lot about what made this unique individual tick. He had a deep love for people and music and he shared each word in a humble yet insightful manner.  I don't think it was so much a coincidence that you started working on this either. I know there are many on this forum who have been equally moved by Jimmy's situation.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 15:53:27 (permalink)
    James, great job on this..sounds killer! What a great tune to remember Jimmy by. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me who played what on this? Whew...some serious guitar going on. Sounds like 2 different guys...they both compliment each other so well. Great drum track too and I like what you did on the vocals. Awesome job James, thanks for sharing this.

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    jamesyoyo
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 16:17:01 (permalink)
    Danny Danzi

James, great job on this..sounds killer! What a great tune to remember Jimmy by. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you tell me who played what on this? Whew...some serious guitar going on. Sounds like 2 different guys...they both compliment each other so well. Great drum track too and I like what you did on the vocals. Awesome job James, thanks for sharing this.

Funny thing, Danny: two years ago with the first pass through this I had a real humanized midi drum track, lotsa swing,and Jimmy hated it, said it didn't sound pro! I wanted to re-mix it as a faux "live" feel to it, so I added some imperfect crashes and lots of crowd noise. So to make Jimmy happy, I re-did the beats a little more  straight, and he liked it better.

I probably should have done some more panning to make Frank's lead more distinctive from Jimmy's, but if you listen, you can clearly hear both a different style and sound: Frank's has more blues bite, and Jimmy's is more country-clean.
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 16:23:09 (permalink)
    I played the opening guitar licks and and all the licks that are panned more to the right... Jimmy played the piano and the licks that are panned left...

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 17:55:44 (permalink)
    great collab. live additions work. mix is spot on. a great tribute.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    Danny Danzi
    • Total Posts : 5810
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/12 19:04:53 (permalink)
    jamesyoyo

Danny Danzi

Funny thing, Danny: two years ago with the first pass through this I had a real humanized midi drum track, lotsa swing,and Jimmy hated it, said it didn't sound pro! I wanted to re-mix it as a faux "live" feel to it, so I added some imperfect crashes and lots of crowd noise. So to make Jimmy happy, I re-did the beats a little more  straight, and he liked it better.

I probably should have done some more panning to make Frank's lead more distinctive from Jimmy's, but if you listen, you can clearly hear both a different style and sound: Frank's has more blues bite, and Jimmy's is more country-clean.

James: Well God Bless you for even having the patience to program the drum stuff like you did here and in your tunes as well. Sometimes the human feel thing can mess up a groove once in a while though...and maybe that's what Jimmy had a problem with. I notice that on some of the created drum parts by others, that the human feel or groove they try to add in, still has a quantized feel to it as well which can mess with a person's mind...whereas a real drummer has some human timing inconsistencies that seem to work well because it may drag a little etc. You know what I mean I'm sure. :)

I think the worst offender is when the creator of a tune has a certain something etched in stone in their brain, and then you send something at them that they weren't expecting. Sometimes they have to let it grow on them, other times it just goes against their vision. That's happened to me a few times while working with philz. He has a vision, invites me along to help paint the picture, he has this nice vision in mind, and I send him back a canvas that looks like a baby threw up all over it to where he says "pff, you call that art...this is a joke, right?!" LOL! Most times, it grows on him if he gives it a chance...but there's been a few times where I popped off a few duds or a few ideas that just might not have been what he had in mind stylistically. :)

I really respect people that put the time into these drum parts because I know how tedious it can be. I thank God every day that I'm a drummer and have a real kit as well as a V-Drums kit or I probably wouldn't get anything done or I'd have to pay someone to create a drum track for me. Playing drums for real is a bit tedious at times especially when my chops may not be up to par (due to me being more of a singer/guitarist these days, but drums were the first instrument I learned)...but it's been a lot more fun than programming them, that's for sure. LOL! I think you did a good job with this though. The pans are fine and the guitar tones are different from each other so they cut through nicely showing the identity of both players. Really well done, don't change a thing bro. :)

Frank: Thanks, I was wondering who did some of the keyboard lines as well. Man, you and Jimmy tore this up with those leads! Killer tones and though the 2 styles are different shades of "blues", they really worked really well together. Some nice call and answer type stuff that didn't sound like one guy trying to out-do the other....it was teamwork. Really fine playing brother. :)
    post edited by Danny Danzi - 2011/06/12 19:08:53

My Site
    Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/14 18:30:22 (permalink)

Thanks for doing this James, the mix sounds stunning.

A fitting tribute indeed.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Bert Guy
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1042
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/15 01:24:19 (permalink)
    Yo James,

Good song and production with an Allman Brothers vibe.

A fitting tribute to Jimmy.

Thanks for posting,

Bert
    lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/16 10:46:10 (permalink)
    So well done in every way. Thanks James!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/16 12:21:28 (permalink)
    Incredible, I haven't been here for a month or more and return to find we've lost Jimmy. I listened to the song and liked it but I found myself subdued by thoughts of our mortality and pondering weightier issues. Well done James and Frank

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    darylcrowley
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2700
    Re:Factory Yoyo sadly presents: "I Know", a tribute to the late, great Jimmy Gentry 2011/06/17 18:43:35 (permalink)
    I always loved Jimmy's guitar work.  He so self-depreciating about his guitar playing, but he was hot picker.

Daryl

Daryl Crowley
    Sonica Labs I7 Quad Core -
    Windows 7 64bit Professional
    Sonar 8.5 Producer - Ozone 4
    http://www.darylcrowley.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1