Fade in and Fade outs.

Author
Edgardo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2009/09/05 18:32:52 (permalink)

Fade in and Fade outs.

Hello everybody. I would like to know how to make fade ins and fade outs and also how to change the tempo during the song with Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. Thanks a lot for your help and have a nice weekend. Greetings.
                                                                Edgardo.   

8 Replies Related Threads

larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/06 12:27:30 (permalink)
    For midi tracks or audio tracks?

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Edgardo
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/06 13:15:00 (permalink)

Hello Mr. Larry good afternoon. My question is about midi tracks because I dont know to work with audio. Could you tell me what can I do if I work with audio? Thank you very much and have a nice day. Greetings.
                                                                 Edgardo.

larrymcg
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/06 17:06:18 (permalink)
    Let's start with midi tempo since midi is what you have.
    PA9 has a Tempo View window.  There is a button on the Views toolbar that will open the Tempo View window or you can use the menu View>Tempo.  The Tempo View window is a graph of the song tempo.  The tempo is on the left (X-axis) and time is at the top of the window.  The pencil tool lets you insert a tempo (a tempo event) at any time using a single click.  That tempo stays in effect until another tempo event occurs.  You can also use the pencil to draw a changing tempo - PA9 just inserts lots of tempo events as you draw.  The line tool lets you draw a straight line of tempo events.  The window also has a Snap-To button with the usual effect.  I usually have it turned off.  There is also a pane, on the right side with a button above it to turn it on or off, that shows the individual tempo events.  There is also a button above the pane that shows the properties of a selected tempo event and allows it to be edited.

The tempo events affect the entire song playback (that is, all tracks are affected).

So, open up a song with one or more midi tracks (and no audio tracks), open up the Tempo View, and do some experimenting.

--Larry

PS:  I'll post about fade in/out separately.

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Edgardo
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/07 18:12:23 (permalink)

Hello Mr. Larry good afternoon. I see more clearly now everything about to change the time in a midi. I have been working with midi and now I try to make it with audio but how? I mean what can I do with audio? I really dont understand and I dont know what audio is good for.
    Well thanks a lot again for your help and have a nice day. Greetings.
                                   Edgardo. 
    larrymcg
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/08 13:06:01 (permalink)
    An audio track is a recording done with a microphone or an electronic instrument (for example, an electric guitar or bass) connected to your soundcard.  Its just like recording an instrument to a tape deck except that you are recording it, via PA9, to your hard disk.  The audio track is then available for editing with tools much like the midi editing tools.

A PA9 project can have both midi and audio tracks.

So, unless you have a microphone and something you want to record, or an electronic instrument you want to record, audio tracks are likely not of interest to you.

larrymcg
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/08 13:34:03 (permalink)
    Here's some info on doing fade in/out in midi tracks.
    You need to have the piano roll view of a midi track open.  There should be two horizontal panes visible.  The top pane has the piano roll (piano keys on the left and midi notes on the right).  The bottom pane shows values for a selected controller.

If the bottom pane is not showing, move your cursor down to the bottom of the window until it becomes two horizontal lines with an up and down arrow.  Click and drag up.  This will drag the splitter bar up to reveal the bottom pane.

In the tool bar at the top of the piano roll view are 3 drop down lists.  One (the 3rd one) shows the current channel.  The other two are of interest here.  The left one gives choices for things to display and edit in the lower pane.  In this case we want to edit a controller so select Control.  Then select "11-Expression" from the middle list.

The expression controller is used to modify the volume of the midi notes.  The expression controller can have values from 127 down to 0.  At 127 the midi notes play at their programmed volume.  At 0 the midi notes can not be heard.  The expression controller can not make the midi notes play louder than their programmed volume.

So you start with a midi track where the volume is set where you want it.  Then in the lower pane, using the pencil tool or the line tool, you can draw in a upward curve (running from 0 to 127) to get a fade in.  Or a downward curve (from 127 to 0) to get a fade out.

Note that the expression controller affects only the current midi channel (and thus the midi notes on that channel).  If you want to do a fade in/out on multiple channels, then you need to edit the expression controller for each of those channels.  Normally, a track has notes that are all on the same midi channel so editing the controller on that track is equivalent to editing the channel.

Give it a try to see how it works.  And while you are there experiment with some of the other controllers or velocity or whatever.

--Larry

Edgardo
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/12 11:27:19 (permalink)

Hello Mr. Larry. Good Morning. I want to tell you a million of thanks for all the explanations you gave me about fade in, out and tempo. I start to work and now everything is very easy and clear. You are a genius!!!
    I have another question about quantize and is that when a record a 4/4 pattern with one or two bars and quantize the notes sound out of time. It was not like at the beginning but now I dont know why I have this problem. Could you help me please?
    Well thaks a lot again and have a wonderful weekend. 
                                        Sincerely.
                                                            Edgardo.

larrymcg
    Re:Fade in and Fade outs. 2009/09/22 23:20:27 (permalink)
    Hi Edgardo!  Glad I could help.  I've been out of town for over a week and now my PC is broken and is being repaired.  I'm using another PC now and can't get to Pro Audio to investigate issues.  It might be awhile before I get to more answers.

In any case, I have a request for you.  It is much better to have a separate thread (question and replies) for each problem or issue.  It makes it much easier for others to find the issue and answers.

So, please post your question about quantizing in a separate thread with a subject that will help others find it.

Cheers,
    Larry

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1