Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark?

Author
Lynn
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6117
2012/01/16 14:51:46 (permalink)

Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark?

Here is a song I posted a while back with some alterations.  The subject matter is something I ripped from the headlines.  It is dark and somewhat depressing, but it's a story that I think needs to be told.  What do you think?  It can be found here:http://www.soundclick.com...&q=hi&newref=1

She puts her kids to bed with a lullaby
She tucks them under covers then she says goodnight
She goes into her room and starts to cry
All she ever wanted was to hold them tight

She goes and fills the bathtub to the brink
She turns out all the light until she's in the dark
She wants to throw her pills into the sink
But, she's got a hunger like a great white shark

The pressure that she's under is growing day by day
            The guilt and the addictions just never go away
            There is nothing she can do as long as she's alive
            And, lately she's been thinking about suicide, suicide

She stands above her children as they sleep
She hasn't seen their father since he ran away
She only hopes their souls are theirs to keep
She doesn't want to give them up another day

God forgive what she's about to do
No one knows what she's been going through
She'll never let them take those kids from her
They're better off dead is all she knows for sure

One by one she takes them to the bath
She holds them under water till they don't fight back
She thinks about the life they'll never have
She swallows all her pills and then she fades to black
Fades to black, fades to black
Fades to black, fades to black.......

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond.

All the best,
Lynn

my songs
www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400

29 Replies Related Threads

SiTheMon
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/16 15:08:40 (permalink)
    Wow..very dark

Its an amazing piece of writing for sure. It really pulled me in but as i continued i knew what the outcome was gonna be, and it turned my stomach ( which is what you would hope it would do im sure).

The thing is with really touchy subjects (IMO) the majority of listeners would listen once or twice and not touch it again cause it deals with reality, and we all know that anything that hurts we keep away from. I had the same thing with one of my tunes "The Music Box".
    http://soundcloud.com/sithemon/7-music-box
    The story is about a girl my mate knew who one day confided in him about the fact from an early age her step dad has been abusing her. Through this terrible ordeal she used to focus on a music box of her mothers, which is where the title came from. The lyrics would have been a one listener but i decided to turn it into what I call "Every breath you take" style of writing. Where you have got countless couples around the world dancing to the police totally unaware that its a song about stalking. Priceless!
    Anyway, i made it sound like a love story to start with but by the last verse you realise something is wrong about the lyrics but you could stand listening to it again cause the melody is nice haha.

Again thats just my opinion. I like dark and i think you have done a really good job. Nice one!!

Si
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/16 21:35:28 (permalink)
    The music is really cool and the mix is great!

Interesting subject. My mom used to work in the Welfare dept and she has some horror stories that makes this seem almost tame. It's a sad world we live in where these things happen and nobody is willing to take the real problems on. Enought of that I guess.

Very well done!

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    bandontherun19
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 824
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/16 23:16:48 (permalink)
    I think vocoders are cool...

She's probably your sweetie? She's an OK singer? 

Actually, the more I listened, the more I liked her. 

WHAT WAS IT YOU WERE SAYING IN THE BACKGROUND? :-) I was listening on Notebook speakers? 

The more I heard her, for some reason the better she sounded? I can't put my finger on it? But something about her voice. But that's how it is with singers? Either you like them, or you don't, it's subjective.

Fades to black...

post edited by bandontherun19 - 2012/01/16 23:19:25

All you need is love, just ask the Beatles?
    ----------
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 11:33:55 (permalink)
    unique and interesting... kinda grows on you...
    enjoyed...
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 11:52:05 (permalink)
    music is cool.... yeah the subject is dark and disturbing, probably because it has happened many times...

I can't fathom the mind that could do that.... nothing short of pure evil. 

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 15:01:33 (permalink)
    Mix sounds well here Lynn thanks for sharing. (Don't think a smiley is appropriate)

Dark subject, not sure that she is pure evil Herb.

I see the stress, the depression and despair on my own daughters face since her man died. 

It is 15 years since our son died but I can still see all the above in the face of my daughter-in-law.

It can be very, very tough on your own and whilst I do not condone her actions I can understand how, why she reached that low, dark point.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    paulo
    Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6218
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 16:29:29 (permalink)
    I don't recall seeing/hearing this first time round, so can't comment in terms of how it has changed.  Listening now my initial reaction is that it actually isn't dark enough musically speaking to represent the lyric. The music could easily be a happy-go-lucky pop tune (I'm thinking The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian for some reason ) Maybe this is deliberate on your part, but I think a much darker vibe musically would suit the lyric better. Mix sounds good here, no crits there, just not sure if it works stylistically for me.
    Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 19:53:34 (permalink)
    Thank you for all for taking the time.  @Paulo- I could have easily made the music darker, but I thought it needed some balance.  I did make the turnarounds in G major, but did the rest of the song in minor keys.  My intention was to tell a story rather than scare the bejesus out of people.  As for the actual story was something that intrigued me to no end.  I was once on the periphery of a situation similar to this story, and it imbedded itself in me for some reason.
    paulo

I don't recall seeing/hearing this first time round, so can't comment in terms of how it has changed.  Listening now my initial reaction is that it actually isn't dark enough musically speaking to represent the lyric. The music could easily be a happy-go-lucky pop tune (I'm thinking The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian for some reason ) Maybe this is deliberate on your part, but I think a much darker vibe musically would suit the lyric better. Mix sounds good here, no crits there, just not sure if it works stylistically for me.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    Scottytunes
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5695
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/17 20:13:15 (permalink)
    Not keen on the subject matter, but I really think the song sounds cool. Great mix.

String Jammer
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/18 04:02:46 (permalink)
    Hey Lynn,

Very cool song, even with the dark subject matter!  Great songwriting and arrangement, excellent performances with lots of interesting musical twists and turns to hold the listener's interest, and the mix sounds really good.

Very unique sounding stuff, nice work.  Have a good one!
    Bob
    Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/18 09:20:53 (permalink)
    Bob and Scotty, thank you very much.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/18 12:59:23 (permalink)
     I wanted to comment on this the other day but didn't have the time...whew, this causes me to really want to delve into the issues that cause such a sad thing to happen. I'll refrain from any extensive comments in that regard but will only say that like a lot of other human rights issues,trying to legislate a solution comes up short. We need to go to the heart of the matter and address it....and I guess it reminds me that the other sex also can have a darker side,though seldom seen here.

The song was well written and produced. Great job Lynn!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 12:43:38 (permalink)
    Liked the song Lynn and loved the guitars!!

The 'subject matter' of the song is a real part of life IMO. Having been around  a lot of this, especially growing up.

Well played!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    malcolmb
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 713
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 15:10:20 (permalink)
    Artists are the conscience of the World. When something needs to be said, the only way it will be heard is when it is put to music and played on the radio. This is a truly great song in that crucial and essential tradition. The composition is outstanding, the production excellent. The message is crystal clear - and rightly damning of our society. It makes me weep.

HS 7 XL
    XP Prof.
    4 GB memory
    GPO, VSL, Music Lab Real Guitar/LPC, EWQLSC, Vocaloid Miriam/Avanna 
    Soundcard - Marian Marc 4 Midi

www.soundclick.com/malcolmbrown
    www.soundclick.com/lylemusic
    www.youtube.com/user/LyleMusic
    geeare1
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1906
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 15:56:44 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn,

Cool juxtaposition of upbeat music and ( really ) downbeat lyrics.

I like the song. Production/mix sounds great on my cheap "at work" headphones.

Love the clean guitar on the right. Very nice.

-gr

'There's two kinds of music: good and bad. I like both.' - Duke Ellington

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=943338&content=music
    Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 17:32:39 (permalink)
    I want to thank lhansen, malcolmb, and geeare 1 for taking the time to listen and respond. You put my mind at ease for writing about a subject that intrigues me to no end.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Mahavishnu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 19:17:53 (permalink)
    I though this was going to be a Kraftwerk style of song from the start with the vocoder - nice rock chick vocals and your voice reminded me a little of Ricky Martin - nice clean mix and original too well done

Ireno Funes

Still searching for the ultimate riff

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=739631

Sonar Platinum 64, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Goliath & Fab Four, Yamaha S90, Audient iD14,
    Prodipe BiAMp Monitors, Dell Intel Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40Ghz, Windows 10, x64Bit, 32Gb Ram.
    Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/20 21:42:18 (permalink)
    Dark subject matter for sure.  But great mix and really well done.  
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/21 11:20:25 (permalink)
    Lynn,

I listened to only half because I saw where it was heading.

The message is essentially "Suicidal thoughts".  It pleased the Lord to take 2 of my sweet sons: both were fatal horse-playing accidents.

This song is sung with utmost gleefulness and is expertly mixed (by you); that alone makes me know you can offer some better preachiness, IMO. 

I realize its difficult to preach hope over grief.  The Mayo Clinic has its worthless solutions for dealing with grief.  But you and I know the joys of life, love, faith, and redemption ... else we couldn't sing.

By what I succinctly understand per the Holy Bible, Its up to you and me to preach redemptive hope in our songs cause no one else will.

So currently I appreciate your lyrics more than the song; but the lyrics I feel crave more living-hope ... both for my grieving conscience, and, for the wounded consciences of stricken families around me.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/21 11:48:11 (permalink)
    @Mahavishnu and Janet-thanks for your comments.  They're much appreciated.
    @Philip-I'm sorry for your loss.  Actually, I'm not preaching at all, and the song is not about "suicidal thoughts".  I'm merely reporting about the human condition and trying to understand the actions of a person who would do something like this.  It was inspired by Andrea Yates, Susan Smith and other women who've committed similar acts.  Whether its because of drugs, depression, or hopelessness, it doesn't matter.  I'm not here to preach redemption-that's for people on a different path than mine.  Also, this song wasn't sung with gleefulness, when it was recorded, we were as somber as can be.  Personally, I tried to be as neutral as possible so as not to be judgemental.  I do appreciate your thoughts, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/22 19:11:24 (permalink)
    I really loved this one. Artistic dark lyrics, very nicely performed. Love that guitar tone and groove.

Me

krsongs
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 00:48:27 (permalink)
    Wow! Interesting. Great job on this!

A humble story... BUT you made it sort of fun to listen to because it's a jumpy, danceable, sort of Rockabilly. Nice work arranging the two voices.

I must say the guitars... especially the panned way over sounds brilliant; VERY TASTY.

Is it a Stratocaster?

Kiki

Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer
    Dell Optiplex 320
    Intel Dual Core 1.6 Ghz
    Win XP Pro SP3
    2.0 Gb RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB
    Rocstor Rocpro 850 external USB HD
    thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 00:58:38 (permalink)
    Cool...reminds of some great pyschobilly music I've listened to recently. yeah like others said...guitars sound great. And the really interesting sounds and use of pan locations make this a neat tune.

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 11:16:49 (permalink)
    Thank you very much.  Yes, it is my 1975 Strat.  I know I vary from some people on this forum, but I like to pan things wide because I like to use the full stereo spectrum.  This is a holdover from the days of vinyl and tape when too  much information in the  center would actually cause a needle to jump out of the grooves of a record.
    krsongs

Wow! Interesting. Great job on this!

A humble story... BUT you made it sort of fun to listen to because it's a jumpy, danceable, sort of Rockabilly. Nice work arranging the two voices.

I must say the guitars... especially the panned way over sounds brilliant; VERY TASTY.

Is it a Stratocaster?

thalweg

Cool...reminds of some great pyschobilly music I've listened to recently. yeah like others said...guitars sound great. And the really interesting sounds and use of pan locations make this a neat tune.

ohgrant

I really loved this one. Artistic dark lyrics, very nicely performed. Love that guitar tone and groove.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 17:39:34 (permalink)
    Hi Lynn, a couple of things I'm trying to get with ,
    whats the Vocoder voice saying ? do's it really need to repeat ?
    also the ending was abrupt , Yes ? No?
    as far as the subject matter go's ,
    I feel  that the arts & music  are supposed to be a safe place to explore the depths of the full spectrum of the human condition in all it's struggles .....
    it is a simple fact of life that some people do indeed feel trapped enough
    to resort to permanent solutions to fix temporary problems .....

the tune itself is well  played & sounds good once it is under way
    Bravo for going there it takes huevo's
    I did enjoy the listen

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Lynn
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 18:14:20 (permalink)
    Kenny, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.  I have no clue what the vocorder is saying because they were samples from one of my synths.  I just thought they sounded cool and somehow appropriate.  Picture an angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other arguing with each other.  The ending was meant to be abrupt, it signifies the instant her brain stopped functioning.  It also allows me to pair this song with another song that has a more upbeat message.
    kennywtelejazz

Hi Lynn, a couple of things I'm trying to get with ,
    whats the Vocoder voice saying ? do's it really need to repeat ?
    also the ending was abrupt , Yes ? No?
    as far as the subject matter go's ,
    I feel  that the arts & music  are supposed to be a safe place to explore the depths of the full spectrum of the human condition in all it's struggles .....
    it is a simple fact of life that some people do indeed feel trapped enough
    to resort to permanent solutions to fix temporary problems .....

the tune itself is well  played & sounds good once it is under way
    Bravo for going there it takes huevo's
    I did enjoy the listen

Kenny

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

droddey
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/26 22:39:52 (permalink)
    That's an interesting. You wouldn't guess where it's going based on where it started. The verses are like The Doors as a rockabilly band or something, and there's some Patty Smith sprinkles on it in places. I also get a Siouxsie and the Banshee's vibe in places as well. So lots of stuff going on there, makes for an interesting mix.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    chasmcg
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/28 08:36:22 (permalink)
    Sounds great. Very well done. Enjoyed the listen. Love the title of the song and how it relates to the subject matter.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re:Fades To Black-an old, new song-too dark? 2012/01/28 09:23:37 (permalink)
    Way too dark for me.  Nicely played.  I wish I hadn't read the words, I'd rather hide from that reality.  We had a lady in Arizona that dressed her kid up in his favorite clothes (5 years old or something) and told him they were going to see Santa Clause. Imagine his esxcitement!  She took him to the desert and shot him.  I am producing tears as I write this.  That story haunts me and I don't know how to keep it out of my mind.  Anyway, nice music but I will try not to remember the lyrics.  You did a good job on the tune.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1