Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar

Author
SuperDJChaz
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 69
2004/06/01 10:44:43 (permalink)

Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar

I remember reading, I think somewhere on the site, although I can't find it now, about a few familiar artists who use Sonar.

The only two I remember is Michael Stipe, who apparently used it to record demos only, and System Of A Down who used it to record one of their most recent albums.

I think that's true. Does anyone else know of famous artists who have been using Sonar? I would like to hear some commercially released Sonar work.

SDJC

"What is that, a kidney?"
"No."
"Oh."

13 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 10:52:45 (permalink)
    FWIW, there are very few, if any "famous artists" (i.e. top fourty or anything close) who record their own work.

In order to hear some commercial records recorded in Sonar, you'd need to find a big-name studio that uses sonar. I don't think there are too many of those right now.

I do remember hearing that Ray Charles used Sonar for his latest record, I think.

Cheers.
    Sky19
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 11:49:02 (permalink)
    The band kidneythieves reportedly uses Sonar. Check out:

http://www.kidneythieves.com/
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 12:09:49 (permalink)
    I believe you thinking of HERE

Day_Day
    • Total Posts : 42
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 12:15:29 (permalink)
    FWIW, I distinctlyremember reading in an article that Busta Rhymes had a Carrilion Cakewalk 9.0 setup!!...Maybe he did the overly-too-commercial 'Pass the Couvasier'!!!

Sonar 3PE Rules
    rombros
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 13:16:19 (permalink)
    SDJC,
    Right here, check it out on the CW web site!

[I remember reading, I think somewhere on the site, although I can't find it now, about a few familiar artists who use Sonar.]
    http://www.cakewalk.com/Artist/default.asp
    .~}rombros

rombros
    "Never pet a burning dog!"
    johnny_juice
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 13:36:47 (permalink)
    Yes. We (Public Enemy) use Sonar 3 Producer's Edition.

We have our own studios (3 of them).

1 in Long Island, NY (my studio)
    1 in Atlanta, GA (Chuck's studio)
    1 in Anahiem, CA (Gary G Wiz's Studio)

Gary's is Mac/Pro-Tools based but both the Atlanta studios and My studio are PC based and we use SONAR (switched over from Cubase/Nuendo about a year and a half ago.)

Peace.

Johnny "Juice" Rosado
    Rebel Without A Pause
    www.publicenemy.com
    billnginine
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 13:46:41 (permalink)
    I think I read in a free apartment shopper that the pancreasbandits use Sonar also.
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 13:50:09 (permalink)

We have our own studios (3 of them).

1 in Long Island, NY (my studio)
    1 in Atlanta, GA (Chuck's studio)
    1 in Anahiem, CA (Gary G Wiz's Studio)

Gary's is Mac/Pro-Tools based but both the Atlanta studios and My studio are PC based and we use SONAR (switched over from Cubase/Nuendo about a year and a half ago.)

Peace.

Good stuff, some feedback from famous artists.

Interesting set up with different software.
    johnny_juice
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 14:19:26 (permalink)
    Well, the different software approach happened because each of the producers had their own way of working and their own software of choice.

Gary stuck with Pro-Tools mainly because he does alot of scoring now and he is interfacing with a lot of PT capable environments.

I just don't like PT. Never have. I prefered Nuendo initially (coming from a Cubase backround) but I made the switch to Sonar and it works great for me.

I've used Cakewalk Pro-Audio 8 and 9 at home for a while and Cubase on both the PC and the Mac but I am more of a PC person.

My interface is the Tascam FW-1884 and it works great! Prior to that it was the Echo Layla and prior to that the Korg 1212 I/O.

I've even used hardware recorders (the VS-1680 which I still have and use) and of course 2" 24 Track machines (Studer being the most prominent) until very recently but my main rig is my P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1 GB Ram, 80 GB system drive, 120 GB SATA audio drive in a slide out chassis, rackmounted PC with Dual monitor capabilityand 8x DVD burner.

Oh, and of course, my FW-1884.

Johnny "Juice" Rosado
    Rebel Without A Pause
    www.publicenemy.com
    Elson
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 14:38:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: johnny_juice

Yeaaaaaah Boyeeeee! Fight the (Pro Tools) Power!

Elson R. Trinidad (El SONAR Trinidad) :) | Los Angeles, CA, USA
    http://www.elsongs.com | http://www.e-trinity.org
    cmusicmaker
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2328
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 15:13:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: johnny_juice

Well, the different software approach happened because each of the producers had their own way of working and their own software of choice.

Gary stuck with Pro-Tools mainly because he does alot of scoring now and he is interfacing with a lot of PT capable environments.

I just don't like PT. Never have. I prefered Nuendo initially (coming from a Cubase backround) but I made the switch to Sonar and it works great for me.

I've used Cakewalk Pro-Audio 8 and 9 at home for a while and Cubase on both the PC and the Mac but I am more of a PC person.

My interface is the Tascam FW-1884 and it works great! Prior to that it was the Echo Layla and prior to that the Korg 1212 I/O.

I've even used hardware recorders (the VS-1680 which I still have and use) and of course 2" 24 Track machines (Studer being the most prominent) until very recently but my main rig is my P4 3.0Ghz HT, 1 GB Ram, 80 GB system drive, 120 GB SATA audio drive in a slide out chassis, rackmounted PC with Dual monitor capabilityand 8x DVD burner.

Oh, and of course, my FW-1884.

I was close to buying Pro Tools quite recently, but the responses and feedback that I have had from Sonar users on this forum made me think again.

I don't know which is better, your hardware or audio set up! 120gb audio drive is big! I still use 60 gb but will upgrade in a big way soon.

Your posts will encourage alot of new and probably existing Sonar users as well.
    SuperDJChaz
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 15:58:21 (permalink)
    Wow! DJ Johnny Juice answering my post, this is a good day!

That's so nice that PE is using Sonar.

I've been a fan since way back.

Gotta Give The Peeps What They Need! Right? Love that!

Thanks to everyone else, I've been checking out the links you've all provided. It's all good to know.

Thanks again,
    SDJC

"What is that, a kidney?"
    "No."
    "Oh."
    nick8004
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Famous or "Signed" artists who use Sonar 2004/06/01 16:04:31 (permalink)
    From the latest Cakewalk News:

"SONAR user debuts on Billboard charts

“My name is Mike Broening. I’m a producer/keyboard player in Phoenix, Arizona, and a very happy user of Cakewalk software for the last 10 years.

"The reason I’m writing is that I’ve just finished writing and producing, all in SONAR, Marion Meadows’s latest CD, entitled Players Club. Two weeks ago the disc debuted at #15 on the Billboard Jazz charts and has since moved up to #12. This was Marion’s 10th CD (first six on RCA), and his highest selling week ever. The publicity and reviews for the CD have been outstanding. I also produced his previous CD, In Deep on Pro Audio 9 and SONAR 1, which also charted for 9 weeks on Billboard and was very well received. I plugged SONAR on the latest CD, as it has become the bread and butter of my studio.

"I wanted to thank you for making such a wonderful product. I’m a young guy with many more projects to produce in my future, and I know Cakewalk software will be the backbone of everyone of them.”

Hear samples from the CD:
    http://www.sfi0.com/click/mike-samples-940/829/vtieto@aol.com

More information on Marion Meadows:
    http://www.marionmeadows.com/
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1