Helpful ReplyFathom Synth

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2018/09/26 02:26:37 (permalink)

Fathom Synth

Fathom synth updated to ver 220. Many improvements from GUI tweak to more sound sets.

Heavy CPU stress as has been reported here, but found that reducing the polyphony in complex pads will allow a modern rig to sail on even in under powered systems. Biggest issue currently is CPU use.

This is one incredible synthesizer. Beautiful sounds and only starting to appreciate the deeper, under the hood possibilities. Can stand up to and deliver to any professional application.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/home

John
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 08:54:05 (permalink)
Thanks for the heads up. 
It says to use the serial number provided when I bought Fathom Pro to unzip the new version but they didn't send me a serial number in an email. They sent a link to download the full version. I have checked all of the emails I had from them and cannot find any serial numbers. I will email them.

ZincT

Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.11 Bld 31, Windows 10 Home 1803, Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz, Gigabyte Z77 HD3 mobo, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti Fanless, Steinberg UR242 Audio Interface (F/W 1.01), Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.3
Latest music: Click Here
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 10:43:05 (permalink)
Firstly you need to pay the $2.50 to get the update. When you pay this you will get a new email with a new unlock code for the Zip file. I was confused at first and tried using the original unlock code and got the message that it was not the correct code. I did not realise they had sent me a new email with a new unlock code for the update. 

I took their advice and had the original version inside a folder (named Fathom) right inside my VST plug-ins folder. I unzipped the update somewhere else and then erased all the stuff in the original folder and then copied the new files right in there and it all worked a treat.

In future the way to go would be to download the updated zip file and move it right inside your Fathom folder. Erase all the existing stuff in there and unlock and unzip all the new files right into the same place. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 11:45:01 (permalink)
Thanks JK!

Just FYI, my serial number didn't work as instructed but the Update Passcode did.

BTW, I unzip in my Downloads folder and manually move the .DLLs to their respective VST locations and moved the Waves and Programs folders to my SamplesDrive/Fathom folder.

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 16:07:28 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Firstly you need to pay the $2.50 to get the update. When you pay this you will get a new email with a new unlock code for the Zip file. I was confused at first and tried using the original unlock code and got the message that it was not the correct code. I did not realise they had sent me a new email with a new unlock code for the update.  

Paying the $2.50 is completely optional.  The dev politely requests that if you find the synth useful to please buy a few updates a year.  However, they will always be offered free to existing users.

If you lost your unlock code, or got the one from before it was changed, he will update yours by email request.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
abacab
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 16:11:12 (permalink)
ZincTrumpet
Thanks for the heads up. 
It says to use the serial number provided when I bought Fathom Pro to unzip the new version but they didn't send me a serial number in an email. They sent a link to download the full version. I have checked all of the emails I had from them and cannot find any serial numbers. I will email them.

The dev responds to email requests for the unlock code.  Very friendly, helpful guy that takes feature requests from his users at KVR.  He is very attentive to his user base.  Exceptional support!

abacab
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 16:24:06 (permalink)
JohnKenn

Heavy CPU stress as has been reported here, but found that reducing the polyphony in complex pads will allow a modern rig to sail on even in under powered systems. Biggest issue currently is CPU use.

This is one incredible synthesizer. Beautiful sounds and only starting to appreciate the deeper, under the hood possibilities. Can stand up to and deliver to any professional application.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/home

John

The Fathom dev reduced the RAM footprint in a recent update.  He has also started a longer term project to optimize CPU usage overall, but expects that to take him the remainder of the year to focus on.

In the meantime, he has added a 'Processor Mode' [draft/quality] button in the settings that selects the less demanding options with one click.  But as it stands now, polyphony usage is still a big factor in CPU consumption.

Agree the sounds are great, and will be worth waiting for the improvements.  I am impressed with the variety and quality of songs created by users for the KVR One Synth Challenge.  https://www.kvraudio.com/...c.php?f=1&t=500875

You can listen to the entries here, all sounds created exclusively with Fathom Synth: 
One Synth Challenge #109: Fathom Synth by Seaweed Audio
https://soundcloud.com/kv...h-challenge-109-fathom

TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 16:34:42 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

I took their advice and had the original version inside a folder (named Fathom) right inside my VST plug-ins folder. I unzipped the update somewhere else and then erased all the stuff in the original folder and then copied the new files right in there and it all worked a treat.

In future the way to go would be to download the updated zip file and move it right inside your Fathom folder. Erase all the existing stuff in there and unlock and unzip all the new files right into the same place. 

They send me the unlock code each time I purchase an update. For me, the code is the same each time, and IS THE SAME as the original unlock code sent with the first order.

I really don't like having presets in my Program Files folders. I created a Fathom folder in My Documents for the programs and waves. I just copy the new DLL to its rightful place.

I'd be a bit careful with Jeff's advice. The Programs and Waves folders also contain the User folders. They're obviously empty in the installation distros. If you've added/saved anything to the User folders, you don't want to delete them.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
ZincTrumpet
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 891
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 17:15:31 (permalink)
Thanks guys :)

Strange but for me there was no unlock code provided with the original download. They just emailed me a direct link to a zip which once downloaded unzipped without the need for any password. None of the folders in the unzipped Fathom folder contained any serial or password. Maybe they have updated the way they handle this since I purchased it in May.

Anyway, Fathom support have very quickly sent me a password for the update and I have installed it. I agree abacab this is top notch support! I already had the original version patches and waves on a separate drive where I keep all such things so just updated these with the new version. 

ZincT

Cakewalk by BandLab 2018.11 Bld 31, Windows 10 Home 1803, Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz, Gigabyte Z77 HD3 mobo, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti Fanless, Steinberg UR242 Audio Interface (F/W 1.01), Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.10.3
Latest music: Click Here
JohnKenn
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 20:04:30 (permalink)
Have got to play with the draft quality button. Thanks Abacab. The complex pads with long trails are what causes the blocks on my systems.
The user manual is quite an interesting read, going in depth about CPU usage and the reason why it is high currently. Seems aimed at getting the maximum quality out of the sounds without compromise. Was mentioned that you can always use internal controls to take quality down for less CPU drain, but you can't take a lesser quality recording and add the quality back in after the fact.

For the long pads, I get a good flow reducing polyphony to 6 notes like the old Roland Junos. Can barely tell.

Like said, the manual goes into some incredible details on tweaks and reasons for CPU usage and other topics.

Also another thumbs up on the dev's response to issues.
John
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 22:10:56 (permalink)
Getting the update for free did not seem obvious to me. (the website is a bit convoluted)  If you can do it then great.  Personally I don't mind the $2.50.  I think it is pretty reasonable.  It certainly saves a lot of fiddling around though.  Pay the money, get an email with a new unlock code.  Pretty straight forward.  It is a nice synth for sure and I like it as well.  It is way too CPU heavy though and really needs to be improved.  I have other synths which easily rival this for its sound (and can sound better as well) and use far less CPU so it can be done.  A great example of this is Rob Papen's Go2 synth.  Absolutely killer sound but uses a fraction of the CPU resources. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
abacab
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/26 23:07:42 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby TheMaartian 2018/09/28 21:34:05
Recent comments from the Fathom dev, Everett, regarding CPU usage, in addition to the updates in the user manual:

Also 2.19 will coming out in a day or two and the Memory will go from about 1.5 GB to 150 MB.

After that the CPU will be the last frontier in terms of weaknesses for Fathom. And before the end of this year I will be rewriting the processor code to use Vector SIMD which will multiply the CPU efficiency by 4 and get Fathom's CPU in line with other synths such as Sylenth and Omnisphere.

KVR thread: https://www.kvraudio.com/...amp;hilit=fathom+synth

TheSteven
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2037
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/28 19:39:39 (permalink)
Paying for upgrades is voluntary. The paid upgrade and free download are identical. If you use Fathom regularly as one of your primary software synthesizers we recommend you purchase a total of four upgrades per year ($10.00).
They say paying is optional but make it a hassle to update by nonpayment methods.
Not much money but that's not the point.
Would not have bought in if I'd know that this was the business model.

post edited by TheSteven - 2018/09/29 11:53:32

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
My Tunes
abacab
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/29 00:44:34 (permalink)
TheSteven

They say paying is optional but make it a hassle to update by nonpayment methods.
Not much money but that's not the point.
Would not have bought in if I'd know that this was the business model.

I'm really curious how you arrived at this conclusion.

It's really just as as simple as download the free update and unzip.

TheSteven
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/29 05:46:13 (permalink)
abacab

It's really just as as simple as download the free update and unzip.

Unless you've received the new password you can't extract the contents.
The password/unlock code that I received with my purchase doesn't work with the update.

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

My Tunes
TheSteven
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/29 06:43:26 (permalink)
Jeff Evans

fwrend
Just FYI, my serial number didn't work as instructed but the Update Passcode did.

abacab
If you lost your unlock code, or got the one from before it was changed, he will update yours by email request.

The update password that I received with my purchase
"Please save your serial number password for version updates: FATHOM-SWA-VST-XXXX-XXXX"
doesn't work.

Not my idea of proactive support.  I should have been notified that my password had been invalidated (they have my email and date of purchase so it's not rocket science to figure out who's affected) and they either should have sent a new one or the option to request one.
If I want to be cynical I'd say that they decided not to to drive up update sales but I'm more inclined to think that it's just another small shop overwhelmed with trying to stay afloat.

I don't recall seeing an update notice though possibly if they sent one and it got deleted.

I have emailed Seaweed Audio support to request new password.
Edit: less than an hour later I got a password update.
post edited by TheSteven - 2018/09/29 07:36:27

My Tunes
JohnKenn
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/09/29 17:39:57 (permalink)
It was a bit confusing at first, but if you look at the upgrade path, it's one of the better models IMHO. About anyone will be charging a lot for major upgrades. So far with Fathom, you get the initial purchase and then after can upgrade as often as needed and decide whether to pay the small $2.50 for the upgrade. On one end, you could have free upgrades for life from the download site, or could pay for every one of them to support development. Most will probably chip in when the spirit moves and depending on how much we gain from the program.

About as unclear in some ways are the deep tweaks this synth presents with. Almost a Reaper like learning curve because things don't work like you would expect them to, and so much is hidden outside the box thinking. Quite an amazing synthesizer once you begin to grasp the signal flow and how to apply modulators. The manual is quite good.

One thing to check out is the wave oscillators. Education for me to connect eyes and ears with the draw functions. Very nicely done and allows you to hear real time the effects produced by changing any parts of a single cycle wave. I believe the demo is mono and worth downloading if just to play with the wave table editor.

Steven, glad you got the password issue cleared. Response is fast and helpful.

John
JohnKenn
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/10/08 17:41:33 (permalink)
Version 2.21 out. From the website...   https://www.fathomsynth.com/updates

"Added support for Microtuning.

Tuning profiles can be read from both file formats Scala.scl and AnaMark.tun. Tuning files are selected and loaded in the same way that presets are loaded.
Microtuning provides user defined scales with varying note frequencies as well as different notes per scale. Drag and drop of tuning files into the main view is also supported. Tuning profiles can be saved and loaded per preset or globally.

Redesigned the preset loading system. The preview mechanism has been changed so that there are no gaps in audio when the user is stepping through presets.
The preset file is now parsed in a host user interface worker thread which does not interfere with the processor audio. Then after the new preset is loaded into memory the processor switches immediately from the old audio engine to the new one between sample blocks so there is no break in the audio.

Made numerous improvements to modulation timing. Rewrote sections of code in the modulation processor to improve the timing accuracy when modulator periods are modulated by other modulators, as well as the Random Sample and Hold modulator when the timing envelope is employed."

Update to the preset loading system works well taking out the delay to reload everything from start.
Haven't played with the modulator timing fixes, but this is a big one.
Lots of microtune love for those who use it.

John
fwrend
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 709
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/10/08 20:12:16 (permalink)
Thanks John!

Wren 

Studio Cat DAW i7-4790K 4.0GHz, 16 GB, Windows 10 (latest), 64-bit, 500GB SSD OS HDD, 1.5TB 7200 SATA Recording, 2x 1TB SSD Samples, MOTU 8M, Behringer X-Touch
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Fathom Synth 2018/10/08 21:41:28 (permalink)
I sure hope updating gets cleaned up in the future. Letting it go for now. Reducing CPU load is much more important.

You do need the password even if you select the option to download the update without paying/donating $2.50. I'd paid for several updates, so grabbed v2.21 free.

2.21 adds a Microtune folder to the current Programs and Waves folders. I place the Fathom folder in My Documents.

C:\Users\Primary\Documents\Fathom

It's a beatch checking each Programs and Waves subfolder for new/updated content.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1