Feature request - Better tempo tools

Author
mesayre
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 195
2014/07/26 21:46:41 (permalink)

Feature request - Better tempo tools

Hi everybody,
   I've had Sonar for a few years - starting with X1 and now I have X3. Generally speaking, I think it's pretty awesome - love the bundled fx and add-ons, like the workspace, the performance has been great for me, etc. However, I haven't really been using it much lately because I've been doing my music-for-picture work in DP. Now that the video engine has been revamped in X3, I can seriously consider doing some of my music for picture work in Sonar. 

However, the one thing holding me back now is the tempo/timeline tools in Sonar. It's still pretty tough to do things like adjust tempos and beats to match a new version I receive of a picture from an editor, or get my beats to really, really hit the edits by tweaking them just a little one at a time. I know I can "Set measure/beat at now", but that is pretty cumbersome if there are a lot of changes. I'd be thrilled if Sonar had something like DP's "Adjust Beats" functionality. I can do things like move one beat without affecting any of the others, or move one measure and set the tempo for all the following. It's enormously handy and I really hope the bakers consider adding something like it in the next release. I realize that's probably an X4-ish request, as there'd be some pretty significant new coding required, but I think it'd be worth the investment - not just for music-for-pix, either.

Please consider!

Thanks,
Mike

3 Replies Related Threads

Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Feature request - Better tempo tools 2014/07/27 05:46:41 (permalink)
    I was going to say you should submit a feature request here: http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Contact/Feature-Request as that is the only way of ensuring the request is seen by Cakewalk.

But it seems that feature request are temporarily suspended.

Coming Soon   At this time we are not accepting any new feature requests while we work on an improved feature request system and get caught up with our current set of feature requests.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Feature request - Better tempo tools 2014/07/27 14:35:41 (permalink)
    I have a lot of specific requests in regards to all this and have been hoping for some kind of reboot of audiosnap for a while now but in this thread I think I'll just leave this particular request...

I would LOVE to see the timeline drag zoom we have on the main timeline and on other views applied to the Tempo Map (and really all views that have a timeline). I use the timeline drag zoom/navigation all the time and think it is one of the most useful features implemented in X2. It is completely ingrained into my workflow. When I switch to the Tempo Map (or other views that do not have this function) I feel like I've been blasted backwards in time and become completely disoriented having to revert back to the old zoom/navigation methods. This is my own shortcoming but if the programmers have the time to implement consistency across all time based views now that most of the X series bugs are sorted out I think it would be very cool.

And I guess I'll say this as well... it would be REALLY cool if we could use the Track View/Clips Pane timeline to automagically create editable anchor points across all tracks in the project then drag those point right in the timeline. That way if I import a live off the floor session recording that I want to easily manipulate all at once to keep all the tracks in sync I can just right click on the timeline, selct something like "Create Stretch Anchor" and POW... there is a special transient marker inserted on all tracks right at that point and a corresponding handle in the timeline I can drag to move them all at once.

To make this even more useful this could be a secondary timeline meaning I could set the project tempo normally and have all the same features we currently have with the set measure/beat for any adjustments in that regard and that is our base timeline that we can line up the SECOND timeline to. So that way we listen to our off the floor session, set our anchor points in the secondary timeline then use our main "classic" Sonar timeline as a grid to line it up to.

In regards to rendering we would use our same methods... basically going into the Track Inspector and choosing the bounce/render options for each to make sure we get the best render after we have made our changes. Also tracks in the project could obviously be excluded from this bulk process (like a MIDI track or a separate track recorded with a metronome would obviously need to be excluded from the time shifting). That would also make it easier to manipulate single tracks or samples to play along with an in time project.

Oh man... that would be awesome.

So awesome.

Sorry... wandering mind and flighty dreams.

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Feature request - Better tempo tools 2014/07/29 17:49:17 (permalink)
    mesayre
    Hi everybody,
       I've had Sonar for a few years - starting with X1 and now I have X3. Generally speaking, I think it's pretty awesome - love the bundled fx and add-ons, like the workspace, the performance has been great for me, etc. However, I haven't really been using it much lately because I've been doing my music-for-picture work in DP. Now that the video engine has been revamped in X3, I can seriously consider doing some of my music for picture work in Sonar. 

However, the one thing holding me back now is the tempo/timeline tools in Sonar. It's still pretty tough to do things like adjust tempos and beats to match a new version I receive of a picture from an editor, or get my beats to really, really hit the edits by tweaking them just a little one at a time. I know I can "Set measure/beat at now", but that is pretty cumbersome if there are a lot of changes. I'd be thrilled if Sonar had something like DP's "Adjust Beats" functionality. I can do things like move one beat without affecting any of the others, or move one measure and set the tempo for all the following. It's enormously handy and I really hope the bakers consider adding something like it in the next release. I realize that's probably an X4-ish request, as there'd be some pretty significant new coding required, but I think it'd be worth the investment - not just for music-for-pix, either.

Please consider!

Thanks,
    Mike

I am with you 100% on this....There is one other thing you might be missing.  Try the "Fit To Time" function.  Be warned, not a simple command to master.

I hate changing one part of a music cue, then writing down tempo and sympte TC to get other parts of the cue back in the right spot.  I've always lived with Sonar's simplistic tempo system knowing that there are other features that make working in Sonar worth while and better than other DAWs,  but I really, really would like to adjust tempo in one section and have everything else stay where it was.   

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1