Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live

Author
cyberzip
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 613
2017/01/21 08:54:24 (permalink)

Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live

I just wanted to promote the idea of implementing a "Duplicate" feature for MIDI/audio clips, like the feature that is available in Ableton Live. It would really enhance my workflow! Anyone else supporting the idea?

If you're curious about why this is needed and wonder why it's faster than drag & drop, please see the demonstration of the Duplicate feature in Live below:

Basic Editing in Ableton Live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DvIvoiMLI&t=10m28s

TomHelvey seems to have posted a feature request about this in The Bakery over 2 years ago:
http://bakery.cakewalk.com/Idea/12943/Duplicate-CtrlD

11 Replies Related Threads

TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/23 18:25:23 (permalink)
    +1
    They still haven't added this? smh
    OK, back to the wilderness, CYA.

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/23 19:56:46 (permalink)
    I do this every day in Sonar. 
    Copy: Just mark the region in the clip - press the strg-key - and move the region of the clip.
    Move: Just mark the region in the clip - and move the region of the clip.
    Where is the problem ?? I don't see any difference to Sonar.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/23 20:33:07 (permalink)
    The "strg-key" What is that?

Pro-Tools also has this feature (I'm sure other DAWs do as well), yeah you can just ctrl-drag a clip with snap on but having a key command to do this would be great. Maybe it will appear as part of the feature set when Ripple Editing comes out soon. The two are somewhat similar in concept.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/23 20:38:31 (permalink)
    watched the video (god I hate that Chris Graham mastering advertisement commercial= "Are you searching you tube right now looking for mastering videos") anyway, I don't understand whats so different from CNTRL+C and CNTRL+V, Copy/Paste ? or simply highlighting the clip and holding CNTRL while dragging it.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/23 22:07:22 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    watched the video (god I hate that Chris Graham mastering advertisement commercial= "Are you searching you tube right now looking for mastering videos") anyway, I don't understand whats so different from CNTRL+C and CNTRL+V, Copy/Paste ? or simply highlighting the clip and holding CNTRL while dragging it.

With ctrl+d he
    1. Copied the selection
    2. Pasted it at the end of the selection
    3. Moved everything that was displaced after the duplicate clip
    To do that with ctrl+c/v or ctrl+drag you'd have to make room for the clip first (hence the suggestion to include this with ripple editing.)
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 07:52:06 (permalink)
    John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    chuckebaby

With ctrl+d he
    1. Copied the selection
    To do that with ctrl+c/v or ctrl+drag you'd have to make room for the clip first (hence the suggestion to include this with ripple editing.)

ahh, now I see what you mean. thanks for the explanation John.
    Now where's that ripple editing

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

rogeriodec
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 11:47:24 (permalink)
    I could do some Autohotkey script as many others I did (like http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3514850), but Sonar makes it very difficult to understand which track is in focus vs. the selected track, and does not provide much internal information about classes and processes that help identify which clip is selected.
    At the same time, CAL scripts are outdated and do not understand clips.
    So we were bakers' hostages...

rogeriodec.com.br

* Cakewalk By Bandlabs (always lastest versions), Window 10 x64
    * Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface
    * Intel i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00 GHz / ASROCK EXTREME 4 Z97 Mobo
    * 2 SSD Samsung Evo 250 Gb (RAID-0) + 1 Western Digital 2 Tb + 1 Seagate 1 Tb
    * Onboard video / 16 Gb RAM HyperX Fury 1600 Mhz
    * 3 LCD Monitors
    * Axiom 61 MIDI Controller, Tapco S5 Active Studio Monitors
    kb420
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1839
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 12:20:29 (permalink)
    cyberzip
    I just wanted to promote the idea of implementing a "Duplicate" feature for MIDI/audio clips, like the feature that is available in Ableton Live. It would really enhance my workflow! Anyone else supporting the idea?

I'll support the idea 100%.  I think it's a great workflow enhancement,  and it's something I personally believe should already be there {kind of like auto merging midi data in loop mode vs take lanes, but that's another story }.  FWIW,  Ableton Live isn't the only DAW that already has this capability,  Cubase and Studio One can also "Duplicate" just like in the video you provided, moving "everything that was displaced after the duplicate clip" as John Joseph from Cakewalk pointed out.  I'm pretty sure this isn't a showstopper for any serious Sonar user,  but for new users shopping for a DAW,  the culmination of the lack of little workflow enhancements like this may cause users to looks elsewhere for their DAW needs. 

Workflow is everything.

"Now, excuse me while I jump into my Jaguar; I need to board my private jet for the usual weekend trip to my mansion on the Big Island. I think Trixie, Crystal, and Heather are already there...must not keep them waiting in the hot tub!"

-Craig Anderton-
    cyberzip
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 613
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 14:50:45 (permalink)
    kb420 - well written and I'm glad you agree! :) Yes, I knew several other DAW packages have the Duplicate feature, I've long missed it in Sonar... Sure, we can drag a looped clip in Sonar, but Duplicate has the useful twist of NOT inheriting the original content. :)

John Joseph [Cakewalk]
    With ctrl+d he
    1. Copied the selection

John - Great summary! :D

To be a little picky, in the Live video the content further down the timeline does not seem to get moved when he duplicates, just overwritten?

But for me, the main attraction for Duplicate is the automatic "paste after current clip" step that occurs every time you press CTRL-D once more!

If Duplicate would be further enhanced by a ripple concept that pushes subsequent content forward (if there is any), than that's just icing on the cake!

(Now that we're in wish mode: Maybe a toggle between Overwrite and Move modes? :) )

Thanks for reading!
    AntonyBanderos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 16:01:15 (permalink)
    ++++++1  
    Russ.15
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Feature request: Duplicate (CTRL+D) feature like in Ableton Live 2017/01/24 21:55:25 (permalink)
    +1
    I've been looking forward to ripple editing, and hoping that this specific feature will be part of the implementation.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -Martin Luther

Win10 on i7-8700k w/ 16GB RAM; SPLAT (final version)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1