Feedback appreciated

Author
kbills
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2007/02/20 16:56:36 (permalink)

Feedback appreciated

Hello all, I'm new to the forums. I gotta say I am blown away by the wealth of knowledge here and willingness by so many to help. In the last couple days of reading through posts, I have picked up some good tips that I hope to utilize soon.

In the meantime, my band just finished a couple recordings which I would love to get some feedback on the recording/mixing. It is a cover tune that we did for a contest. We recorded a CD a few years ago with Home Studio 4XL, and now I have SHS XL. We're a church praise & worship/contemporary music with anywhere up to 7 vocalists at a time, plus drums, bass, and guitars. We're on a shoestring budget as far as recording equpiment goes, so I really spend a lot of time in the editing and mix down to work with what we've got. My biggest challenges are getting good audio on the drums and bass guitar, so I'm sifting through the forums for tips on that.

While this recording is a world of difference better than the CD we did a few years ago, I know it still needs improvement. I am amazed at what some of you have put together with your own setups (that Steely Dan "Peg" cover is phenomenal!), so I would love tips on what I should be doing in my editing and mix to improve this.

Anywho, enough excuses, here's the song:

http://www.kbills.com/Witness/LoveHasCome.mp3

Thanks,

Kevin

-If it's green, it's trouble. If it's fried, get double!
-"There's food in the beer. There's no beer in the food." - Jim Koch, brewer of Sam Adams.

10 Replies Related Threads

airmeki
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1598
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/20 17:52:48 (permalink)
    Kevin, first and foremost: A warm welcome to this forum!
    Your debut song sounds really good. I really like the voice arrangements in this song, very nice harmonies - the only thing is, I'd move them apart in the mix: I am not sure how many voices there were, but I pictured a choir on stage. The guy who at one point sang a brief solo harmony (in the final stages of the song) could be the centre. The others around/next to him (left and right).
    I didn't seem to hear a bass guitar or anything bass related (instrument). Maybe it's just my spoiled ears - but I kinda missed that. The drums are subtle and rather in the background - which is good for this style. The sounds of the guitar(s) are too soft for my liking. They could come forward in the mix, yet - not competing with the choir.
    Yeah, real good work, it has a very 'live' feel to it, and this is always a good thing! Thanks for sharing your first song with us - I look forward to your next one!
    Heinz.

opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/20 18:52:43 (permalink)
    Hey Kevin,
    i'm in full agreement with all that Heinz has said and would urge you to get that bass heard as your first job and then the drums and guitar and like Heinz said you could boost these instruments' volumes quite a lot before they start to compete with the vocals.
    If you can get these heard then people could give you any necessary EQ guidence.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    fep
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1186
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/20 22:28:09 (permalink)
    Kbill

Thanks for posting and welcome. I enjoyed the recording. I'm a newb myself and yes this forum is a great resource.

As much as your drummer may hate it, you'll probably get better results using audio drum loops or midi drums with good drum samples. Perhaps your drummer can play into a midi controller and you can have the best of both worlds. "Guerrila Home Recording" is a book that was recommended to me in this forum and I'll recommend it to you. Here's a quote from that book:

unless you have a good drum room, a good mic collection, exceptional ears, and some serious experience recording live drums, your results will be inferior. An approach using sampled drums just sounds better and is much easier to acheive, given limited resources and experience. And since the drum sound is arguably the most important sonic element of a mix - rarely does a song sound good if the drums don't - I believe this is the way for most home recordists to go.

He also has a good discussion on getting a good sound on a bass using a direct box.
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 03:01:16 (permalink)
    I hear the bass really strong?
    maybe he has changed it
    kbills
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 10:38:42 (permalink)
    Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to re-mix with some of your suggestions, notably the bass and guitar levels. Perhaps I was trying to be too equitable towards other members of the band and not cutting their parts too low. I am a little self concious of that since I am the main voice and instrument (guitars). In doing this for about 5-6 years now, this is my first struggle with things sounding different on different stereo's. On my mixing headphones (I know, I know, but I can only record when my son is awake, and can only mix when my son is sleeping) the bass is perfect. Through my stereo speakers it is just about right, and in my car, it buzzes, on my iPod/headphones I barely hear it.

Heinz:
    There are 6 voices on this recording. The main one in the middle (with the solo harmony towards the end that you mention) is me. I do have the rest of the voices panned - some, typically 30% left or right. I mix it so that one soprano harmy is left, the alto harmony is right, the other sorprano melody is right (to balance the other soprano in the left), and the other two male tenors are split left and right. Perhaps the 30% is not enough.

I would have preferred the drums to be more forward on this particular track, especially the snare hits and tom rolls. However, the hi-hat bled into the snare track WAY too loud, and if I brought up the snare track, I had way too much hi-hat.

Funny you made the "live" analogy because people told me our first CD did not sound like what we sounded like "live" so my approach this time was to try to replicate that - everything pretty balanced, hear all the voices, and mostly voices (since we play at church, the instruments are downplayed in our PA mix). Do you think the attempt in a recording is to capture your live sound, or to make a 'radio-ready' recording? I would have a different approach for the latter.

Fep:
    I hear you on the drums. They have been the biggest downside to our band recordings. When I do my "solo" material (I will post some of that later), I use drum loops. I love them and am going to start doing a little more loop construction soon as well. For the band though, I think I need to keep it a group effort. We not only do it for fun, but it is part of the high school youth ministry at our church, and both of my drummers are teens, so it gives them some ownership in stuff. That being said, they also know I may supplement a snare hit or crash here or there when I decide something else is needed when editing/mixing. I am also constantly trying to get a nice set of Roland V-drums for the church. If we did, then that would be perfect for our recording needs. I'll check out the book you recommended.

Again, thanks all. I'll remix hopefully tomorrow and re-post it to see what you think.

Kevin

-"There's food in the beer. There's no beer in the food." - Jim Koch, brewer of Sam Adams.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 10:50:21 (permalink)
    Hi Kevin,
    I can hear the bass...
    I think you've got a fine, live ensemble sounding recording.
    It is by no means perfect and the performances could all be tightened up some,
    but I think you would lose what you have, which comes across as a "real" snapshot of your group performing.

RLD
    opaque slogan
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1787
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 12:11:59 (permalink)
    OK that's two people who seem to be able to hear the bass just fine and i've listened again and again and as far as my little lap top speakers are concerned there is no bass whatsoever on this recording so it must be all very low frequency stuff because these speakers actually do hear bass lines just fine.
    So it may not be as simple as just boosting the volume of the bass, i think you've got to get it heard through boosting of mid frequencies or your mix will appear to have no bass when played on dinky speakers...like i said there isn't even the slightest hint of a bass on this system.
    Have fun.

Mario kart SC, Nintendo Gameboy advance SP, Screen magnifier.

www.myspace.com/opaqueslogan (pre-sonar, raw and nasty)
    ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 12:45:54 (permalink)
    Kevin,
    Yes, this is fairly solid recording. I'm hearing it after you've made some adjustments, so they must have worked.

Couple comments: the vocals sound very dry / close mic'ed and stark at first; could soften them up with just a bit more reverb -- not too much because they sound about right when the band kicks in. The other item, there a phasor guitar that comes in at 1:48 on the right side; I didn't care for the sound when playing the low notes, it was yowling away there; can it be reduced?
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/21 23:33:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: opaque slogan

OK that's two people who seem to be able to hear the bass just fine and i've listened again and again and as far as my little lap top speakers are concerned there is no bass whatsoever on this recording so it must be all very low frequency stuff because these speakers actually do hear bass lines just fine.
    So it may not be as simple as just boosting the volume of the bass, i think you've got to get it heard through boosting of mid frequencies or your mix will appear to have no bass when played on dinky speakers...like i said there isn't even the slightest hint of a bass on this system.
    Have fun.

Yea its a boomy bass sound, so thats probably it, i have a 200 watt
    subwoofer im sure thats the thing.
    But you hit on an important thing, my first sound engineer i worked
    with in a studio mixed everything down finaly on two small speakers
    so that it can be heard on any setup from transister radio to size stereo
    thats when i was turned onto roundwound bass strings and using a more
    treble mix so it cuts through.

in other words a good mix should be heard on laptop as well as stereo
    system
    post edited by coldsteal2 - 2007/02/21 23:58:05
    kbills
    RE: Feedback appreciated 2007/02/22 23:34:09 (permalink)
    OK, I took a bunch of suggestions and gave another go at it:

Here's what I've changed:

-boosted the acoustic guitars and bass guitar
    -replaced the kick drum with drum loop kick samples - matched up every kick from my drummer with the loop sample. I was able to bring up the kick by doing this. I was in such a rush recording the drums that I didn't even think about the mic placement on the kick drums, so I don't even remember where it was.
    -brought up the snare, and cut the highs on it to limit the impact of the hi-hat blead through.
    -panned the vocals more left and right (about 70% now instead of 30%)
    -added a bit more reverb to the vocals

I appreciate all the mixing tips. I am probably going to re-record some parts in a few weeks after reviewing the other forums on here.

Kevin

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1