Feedback

Author
Nutty
Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2056
2008/10/17 16:53:43 (permalink)

Feedback

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but lately I have been getting serious feedback from my microphones to the point I can only record with 1 mic at time. Generally, I use both for my guitar. I have the "big" one at the hole of the guitar and the "stick" one pointing at the fret. My husband says it was because the speakers were on. However, even when I have them off it happens. I was recording today and about half way through the song the "stick" microphone went crazy.

Is there something I can do to counter this? I kind of like doing the "double" recording to get the fullness of the guitar.

Thanks.

Nutty /Annette
http://www.soundclick.com/atmmusic
Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars

13 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 17:06:51 (permalink)
    Well, having the speakers on would do it for sure.
    How about your headphones. Do they seal well around your ears? Are they an open back design?

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 17:55:32 (permalink)
    Just a thought, are you sure it is feedback, when you said half way through the mic went crazy, what exactly was the sound like as it may be something else.

P4 1.7GHz, 2.5G RAM, MC, Tascam US-224
    Yamaha PSR273, Microkorg, KP3, Kaossilator, Fender Acoustic, Behringer, MicroBR, Zoom, TC Helicon, Digitech, Blueman Group Keyboard, Farfisa, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=564197
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 19:21:12 (permalink)
    Robert,

I just have cheap ear muff type headphones. (That's all hubby would buy after rolling over the first 2 pairs and breaking the wires/connection)

Dave,

It's possible that the big mic could have moved slightly. I have a boom stand and I can't seem to get the piece to tighten which would stop the boom part from moving. It is quite annoying when you only have two bars to hit record, grab your guitar in place, grab your pick and get in a comfortable position (or at least one you can play guitar in)!

I've tried moving the mic's around, but I'm not having any luck. I just thought there might be something else I can do. It could possilby be the cheap headphones, cause it may have started happening around the same time now that I think about it. Can feedback still happen if you have the fancy muff'S? If so, I guess I'll to get some advice on a decent (as cheap as possible) headphones.

Thanks guys.

Nutty /Annette
    Using: Sonar 8 Studio; Band in a Box; PreSonus Firebox; M-Audio Axiom 25; Mics: Audio Technica ATM610, MXL 990/991; M-Audio Studiophile AV 30 Reference Speakers and many guitars
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 20:27:48 (permalink)
    AARRRGGGGGGGGHHHH

In my next life, may I please have an enclosed recording room. Grand central is just not cutting it!!! I played around with the mic's to see if I could get them to cooperate. I was having a bit of luck there so I quickly grabbed the guitar and had the best ever recording of the guitar. I am more than 3/4 of the way through and all of a sudden I hear...Dad....No my teenagers cannot walk, they can only yell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I guess if it's been done once it can be done again!

Thanks for listening.
    post edited by Nutty - 2008/10/17 21:35:12

Nutty /Annette
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 21:23:26 (permalink)
    It's possible for input monitoring to enable feedback if you have one of the outputs routed to an input. Check all your settings that something isn't going where it doesn't belong.
    Nutty, you can set the 'Count-In' to any value you want. If you set it to 10 measures, it will tick-tick-tick for 10 measures before the recording starts.
    Alternatively, put the now line all the way to the left. Now 'Insert' 4 or 8 or 16 measures. It will move all the tracks over that many measures. Even if it starts recording on the first beat of the first measure, you've got gobs of time before it gets to the song.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 21:38:25 (permalink)
    Thanks Greg,

Never thought of that. Band in a Box always gives you two measures, so I stuck with that and didn't think any more about it. The two measures is quite the juggling act sometimes. And trust me "it ain't pretty".

I'll check all the inputs too. I'm still adjusting to the changeover, so some things are no as easily seen. I recorded over other tracks at least 3 times tonight. Thank goodness for the endless undo's.

Nutty /Annette
    gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/17 23:05:03 (permalink)
    You can get feed back through headphones, definately if you are using the speakers, which you should not be doing, they will bleed through. In fact, if your headphones are too loud, a good mic will pick that up while recording the guitar or vocals. Try turning down the volume in your headphones, I think you were able to isolate that volume control, don't adjust it in m/c, but in the firebox settings, after the master out.
    As far as kids and other background noise, even a isolation booth will not help, I know just how loud kids can be. There is no such thing as an inside voice, never understood why though. Just remember, they do grow up and move out. Eventually. Only problem, shortly there after, they come back with little ones, and they make a lot of their own kind of noise. It never ends.
    My advantage is a basement studio, iso booth, sound proofed walls, I do most of my work late at night, and all of the kids and grandkids live at least 100 miles away...peace at last
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/18 01:03:00 (permalink)
    Here's a good way to check if you are getting a lot of leakage from your headphones.
    Open a project that has some tracks recorded.
    Arm a new audio track for record.
    Position yourself with your headphones on, and sit as still as possible.
    Hit play.
    Do the track meters show activity?
    As Albert mentioned, your (my) mics are very sensitive. Turning down the output of the Firebox will probably help a lot.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/18 10:53:09 (permalink)
    Okay, it passed the microphone, so I guess no new toys for me today.

I would suspect it was my volumes on the Firebox as well. I'm still playing around with the volume issues. I can record a track and barely hear it. Then, the next time I almost jump out of the chair. I'm still not sure if I should be using the Firebox volume controls or the volume controls on the track? There is the "regular" volumes that go up to 6dB and the gain which goes up to 18 (dB?) I think. Then there is the volumes on the Firebox for the pre-amps, the master volume (speakers) and then the headphone volume control. I do have headphone volume quite high sometime so I can hear the bass and drums to be sure I'm singing at the right tempo.

As for the teenagers, they haven't really changed much since there were kids. As soon as you close a door or talk on the phone, that's when they "really" need you or need somthing or other. It reminds me of my oldest when she was a toddler. I had read somewhere to tell the kids that they can only interrupt you in case of emergency like if they were going to throw up or if ithe house was on fire. So, I taught this to her. So, one day she taps me on the leg while on the phone and says "excuse me Mom, I'm not going to throw up and the house isn't on fire, but can I still ask you something?" I pretty much gave up then. Now they write notes and shove them in my face while I'm on the phone. My oldest actually picked up the extension one day to let me know that she needed the phone. And no, the house wasn't on fire, nor was she sick. Parents can't win.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll work on the volumes some more. Time to go back and read that long thread again. There was a lot to asborb.

post edited by Nutty - 2008/10/18 11:09:47

Nutty /Annette
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/18 18:46:56 (permalink)

Late to the party as usual

Sorry Annette but when I saw the title of this thread I assumed you wanted know how to create feedback - I though now you're talking my language here

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/18 18:51:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK
    Late to the party as usual

Sorry Annette but when I saw the title of this thread I assumed you wanted know how to create feedback - I though now you're talking my language here

Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve

Better late than never they say!!!! Yes, I had some pretty good feedback going on. We went to Future Shop today and I had a look at their headphones and couldn't find one with "ear muffs" under $200 and they were just plain headphones. I can't swing that, so I'll wait until I go to the music store.

Any recommendations? Under $100 would be good.

Nutty /Annette
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/18 23:17:59 (permalink)
    So, Annette, when you say it's not loud enough to hear when recording, do you mean what you're recording, or all the audio? If it's the first one, turn all the playback tracks down until your recording input is about equal to them, then turn the headphone level up, or the master or main levels up if the volume is still too low in the headphones. Sometimes to make something louder, you have to turn something else down.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Nutty
    RE: Feedback 2008/10/19 08:56:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 57Gregy

So, Annette, when you say it's not loud enough to hear when recording, do you mean what you're recording, or all the audio?

Yes, it's usually what I recorded. I'll try to remember that but, I don't know why one time it would come out nice and loud so, I turn the volumes down a bit and next I hear nothing. Oh well...at least it is easily fixed.

Thanks Greg.

Annette

Nutty /Annette
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1