Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy

Author
blueelectron9
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
2005/06/10 16:19:24 (permalink)

Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy

I was listening to a project that I had almost finished (SONAR 4 PE) and was adjusting the tempo while it was playing. All of a sudden, my acid-wav loops started to take on a strange pitch and wouldn't sync up with the MIDI clips in the project. I went to the tempos selection and there was just the main tempo of 128. But nothing syncs up anymore.

The MIDI tracks can have their tempos adjusted, but something has messed up the acid-wav files. They think they're working in a different tempo. My project uses "per project" folders and I'm wondering if there's a way to reload the acid-wav groove clips to the audio folder and replace what's there?

Thanks for any advice. I'd hate to try to start over with the project.

Best,
Scotty

11 Replies Related Threads

LoopJunkie
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2466
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/10 18:42:34 (permalink)
    All of a sudden, my acid-wav loops started to take on a strange pitch and wouldn't sync up with the MIDI clips in the project.

Does Sonar recognize them as groove clips (Check the clip form, they have rounded corners)?

loop

jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 01:53:11 (permalink)
    The MIDI tracks can have their tempos adjusted, but something has messed up the acid-wav files. They think they're working in a different tempo. My project uses "per project" folders and I'm wondering if there's a way to reload the acid-wav groove clips to the audio folder and replace what's there?

This is odd indeed. I've had the reverse happen, where my midi clips got crazy from adjusting tempos, but never Acid loops. Acidized loops should just appear as "groove files" automatically, the basically work the same in Sonar as they do in Acid.

You can replace the loops, of course. Just go into your Audio folder, take them out and then put new copies back in.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    blueelectron9
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 18:10:50 (permalink)
    Yes, I had it happen again. I restored an old, old version of the project and changed the temp. Nothing synced up again. I don't think it's the MIDI that's going crazy because the acid loops sound kind of funny and it's like they're not lined up in the timeline properly anymore.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry for the additional thread. I panicked when it happened again to my project.

Differences in this project over the others is that I created grouped clips instead of individual ones and I had the VST z3ta+ in the project.

Best,
    Scotty
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 18:30:39 (permalink)
    Damn... that's a trip. I have a lot of experience in Acid and Sonar and have never run into this. I might suggest creating a new project and re-loading the samples. Make sure your tempo is set where you want it before you load any loops/samples.
    I wish I could help you further... this would REALLY piss me off. Good luck!

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 19:47:33 (permalink)
    This may be a totally different issue but I had a project with nothing but straight audio tracks. (No loops of any kind, and no MIDI). When I recorded the song the temp was set at 100bpm, but I didn't use the metronome so the song is not synced to the grid at all. Later on I added a drum part with Reason rewired in, and when I got ready to lay down the drum part, I turned on the click in Reason which is automatically the same temp as Sonar, which was 100bmp. Obviously this didn't help because the song wasn't recorded to the metronome. So I tried to change the tempo in Sonar just so it would change the metronome click so I could maybe match it up with the song. But every time I changed it, it looked like it stretched the audio clips and even moved them a little. When I tried playing them, they seemed to be at the same tempo but they were not in sync with each other anymore. I was able to undo all of this and then just record the drums by ear, without the metronome, but I just wonder why changing the tempo would change the audio clips.

This doesn't usually come up because I usually record my songs with the metronome. I was just curious if this was a problem with Sonar, or just operator error. Anyone know?
    OffAnAirplane
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1386
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 19:51:12 (permalink)
    One more thing...
    When you record a song that's all audio clips, and then change the tempo, it doesn't change the audio clips but just changes the time scaling of the grid and the metronome right?
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 19:53:26 (permalink)
    I know this problem.

Groove clip your audio, but split the clips at hte tempo changes. If a groove clip extends past a tempo change it gets confused. Unlike HAL in 2001 though, it won't kill you, but it will no longer play in sync. A groove clip should stay in one tempo range, if the tempo changes, split the clip so it can sync to one specific tempo. Also, make sure the clips are NOT linked. Also a tempo-buster.

Let me know if that works, I tackled tempo issues thoroughly a while back....

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/11 20:00:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: OffAnAirplane

One more thing...
    When you record a song that's all audio clips, and then change the tempo, it doesn't change the audio clips but just changes the time scaling of the grid and the metronome right?

Audio "groove clips" will follow tempo and key changes. But audio that has not been "groove clipped" with not follow the song's tempo/key changes.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/12 00:10:30 (permalink)
    Is there any difference between a "Groove Clip" and an "Acidized Wav"? I always assumed it was the same thing, and that "Groove Clip" was just Sonar nomenclature.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    blueelectron9
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/12 01:03:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies, and thanks ...wicked.

Yes, the "added" tempos were placed at odd points and were in the middle of some of the groove clips (acidized wav files). And they were linked. Oops. Didn't know.

I lost the project and restarted from an old backup. Same thing happened and I gave up and started something new.

Words to beware of.

Best,
    Scotty
    xackley
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2973
    RE: Fiddled with tempos and project is crazy 2005/06/12 11:27:52 (permalink)
    Sonar is lacking a "LOck to Time" functionality.

Any clip that does not start at Bar 1, Zero Time, will shift if you change MIDI tempo.
    To demonstrate, Try a drastic change like 100bpm to 50bpm, and then 200bpm.

If this is the problem, the only WORKAROUND I am aware of is to bounce and/or slippedit all the audio, making all audio start at bar 1.

Don
    post edited by xackley - 2005/06/12 11:30:53

Van Gogh, seeing more that a vase of flowers.
    http://www.vggallery.com
    Newer Song "River", let me know if you don't like it.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=162668
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1