Fighting with P5's automation - should I be?

Author
DelvarWorld
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 223
2009/07/26 23:03:47 (permalink)

Fighting with P5's automation - should I be?

I'm working on a song and I lay down some tracks and set their volumes how I want them to be. But then I need to go in again and edit specific parts for fade outs and such. So I use the automation pen tool and two things happen that baffle me:
#1: There is no indication given of what my original volume was set to. I had it perfect, but I click once and suddenly P5 has no idea what it was.
#2: Volume is labeled in DB. But when you draw automation, it shows what volume you are at in PERCENT. It is incomprehensible. I want to get to specific levels, not to some imaginary % of something.

For #1, if P5 were still in development, it would seem like automation should draw a starting point by default when you change the track volume, so that it doesn't lose what you had it set to. For #2, this is silly. Do people do it differently or has anyone dealt with this before?

4 Replies Related Threads

:10:
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3678
    Re:Fighting with P5's automation - should I be? 2009/07/27 07:42:42 (permalink)
    Snap volume to grid,..or something like that. if you click on your automation so that its visible, then right click on the volume bar. there should be an option to snap volume to automation (or similar)

Yes, P5's automation isn't very easy to work with. sometimes, depending on certain VST's in use, it wont even snap anything. then you have to go in and trick it by live recording just to get it to show up.

line node automation would have been soooo nice...

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    Re:Fighting with P5's automation - should I be? 2009/07/27 07:54:17 (permalink)

here;'s what I've found
     -- always automate in track view
      any automation in pattern view is just going to confuse you and P5

-- for something like volume, you must automate the whole track otherwise at whatever level it leaves off on any transport command it will hold
       once the whole track has a usable volume set you can tweak as needed
      before the whole track is sketched out, results can be less than predictable as you move about

xylyx
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2505
    Re:Fighting with P5's automation - should I be? 2009/07/27 17:21:17 (permalink)
    I always used a VST called FreeG when I was going to be doing automation on a track...by automating the volume and pan on FreeG, it leaves your overall volume level for the track intact. It's also easier to know where the volume level is at with it, as 0db = 50% in P5's automation level.
    bulls hit
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 822
    Re:Fighting with P5's automation - should I be? 2009/07/29 05:03:30 (permalink)
    Doing battle with P5's automation is a truly hideous experience.

What I do is expor the P5 tracks to another sequencer for mixing. Reaper works perfectly for me, but any linear daw will do
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1