Helpful ReplyFiguring out vocal levels

Author
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
2016/06/09 16:29:26 (permalink)

Figuring out vocal levels

Hi folks,
I've gone around in circles with the vocals on this track, and have gotten feedback in the 'Song' group that they were too far back and (after editing) too far forward.  I've tried to strike a midpoint in this latest take, but abstractly how do you best determine that right point where they should sit in the mix? 

If you have a preferred signal chain with stock compressors and EQ, I'd love to hear it.

I seem to struggle with this more than most.  Thanks for any thoughts!

https://soundcloud.com/hummingbirdcinema/no-fear-parts-i-and-ii

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/09 16:36:29 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cwestmont 2016/06/10 11:04:35
IMO, Every word should be audible, but the vocal should not overpower everything else. It's a really tough balance. However, keep in mind that the "right" vocal level depends on how well it serves the song. It is also a very subjective thing. Instead of focusing on levels alone, think about carving "space" for the vocal using a combination of EQ, panning and reverb/delay.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/09 19:23:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cwestmont 2016/06/10 11:04:42
What Dan said.

I've tried to use the same chain on the same singer in two different songs and that has almost NEVER worked out. What serves one song may well not serve another (especially with different instrumentation behind the voice).

FWIW, the same is true for almost any other kind of audio (drums, guitar, bass or even tambourine).
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/10 03:56:02 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cwestmont 2016/06/10 11:04:57
Lovely John Martyn vibe on this song. Thought I was listening to ''..And'' for a sec. Following that comparison, I think the vocal sits really well, it's more of an instrument/texture than a lead vocal, just the way JM used his voice in his latter years.

Reminded me of this track;

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/10 06:16:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cwestmont 2016/06/10 11:05:01
this isn't very scientific - but if you go outside the studio, shut the door (with song playing ) you should be able to hear the vocals above the backing.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/10 06:45:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cwestmont 2016/06/10 11:05:05
Here are the steps I take in order to get vocals sitting at an even level and at the right level for the music.

Before I mix I edit the vocals in a separate editor.  I run a VU rms meter over the vocal the whole time during editing.  Once a reference level is chosen eg 0 dB VU = -14 or -20 dB FS the vocal phrases can be checked for consistent reaching the 0 dB VU mark.  You are off to a good start getting a nice even vocal level before any compression is applied.  And when it is, it can be a low ratio and not severe. The rest of the vocal chain is up to you but if the voice and the recording is very good it can be cool how little processing can be applied for a great sound.

The leveling of this vocal level is important because once you get the next step of sitting the vocals nice into the music you want it to stay there.

That just leaves balancing vocals to the music.  I do this on a small mono Auratone type speaker being fed a L + R mix at lowish volume eg 70 dB SPL or under. I sit close to it about 6 to 8" away from it looking directly at it.  This is better, clear and more accurate than standing outside the door of your own control room with the speakers playing louder inside.  (In a nice way it is simulating the same effect)  Get the music sitting nicely and then ease the vocal in.  There is a point where they are clear and well balanced.  Also when the vocals are right they don't alter the overall movement of a VU meter much over a whole mix.

The John Martyn track passes the small mono speaker test with flying colours.  They are sitting real nice against the music.  They do drop down at some point later into the music a little but that is a very intended effect.  Most of the time the vocals are sitting right and riding the crest of the total wave nestled in with the music but also just slightly above the music.  All of this is more pronounced at low volume on a small speaker.  It works every time.  When you crank up on your big speakers the vocals are just in that perfect stellar position.

Then comes the all important job of turning the reverb level now down to half!

Note: The vocal reverb appears quieter on the small speaker at low volume.  This is one time up loud on your mains is great because you will hear the vocal reverb big time. And it should make you want to turn it down too.
post edited by Jeff Evans - 2016/06/10 07:14:18

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
cwestmont
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 379
Re: Figuring out vocal levels 2016/06/10 10:52:08 (permalink)
I am grateful for the very practical responses.  Jeff's response partly goes over my head, but I am printing it out and will sit down in front of the DAW and try to figure it out because it rings true.  

Thanks again everyone.  Love these forums. 

My music:
Hummingbird Cinema (vocal tracks, covers and remixes)
Mosaic Manifesto  (remixes and instrumentals)
"If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?"- Shantideva

One can acquire everything in solitude - except character. -- Marie Henri Beyle

Windows 7
Intel Core i7-4770 3.4 GHz
8 GigaBytes DRAM
Sonar X3
Roland QuadCapture
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1