Film Scoring tools in Sonar

Author
KiddCabbage
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 39
2010/11/19 05:24:53 (permalink)

Film Scoring tools in Sonar

I've been a Sonar user since Sonar 4, always just recording music with it.

Now I'm doing some film scoring, though, and in the courses I'm taking on film scoring, my school's having us work with Digital Performer 7.2. There are definitely a lot of handy film scoring functions in that program that I wouldn't have even thought about if the class hadn't talked about it. Now I'm wondering if there are ways to do any of these functions in Sonar that I have just been missing (though I'm not getting my hopes up, considering how poor so many say Sonar is with film scoring).

For instance, from DP, here are a few functions I can think of from the top of my head that I'd like to be able to do in Sonar:
1) Calculate tempo - You select a region of musical time and type in the start and end for that region in SMPTE, and it will calculate the exact tempo needed to make the end of the measures line up with the frame in the video. This has been VERY useful for making hits for video.

2) Inserting measures and sliding over the SMPTE time and musical time. For instance, you have Marker 1 set at measure 1 at 1:00:30:00, and you want the music to start right there, but the director decides he wants to add some music before that cue... so you can insert however many bars before your marker, but it will still stay synced at 1:00:30:00. 

3) The built-in punches and streamers are awesome to have, too, but I'm fairly certain there's nothing in Sonar like this.

These are the three biggest things that I'd like to be able to do in Sonar, though there are a few other things I like about DP, like the Chunks window (different sequences as their own separate environments in the same project file) and its MIDI editing tools. There's also that neat function that drags out each MIDI note until the beginning of the next note, which is great for keyswitches.

I was actually considering looking into another DAW, after all this time with Sonar, as much as I love it. I mean, hell if I'll stick with DP (despite its neat functionality, the software is such a pain in the ass in other ways), but I was wondering if other software had better functionality for a film composer. However, I *do* love Sonar, and would love to make it work for my needs, so I can stick with it. Especially with X1 coming out - I literally pooped when I watched the demo video for it.*

So, hopefully, someone has some answers for me! And hopefully I can stay a Cakewalk customer for my future endeavors!

*I was sitting on the toilet at the time, though...

post edited by KiddCabbage - 2010/11/19 05:32:59

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1