Finally squeezed another one out :-) Put Down the Stone

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
Re:Finally squeezed another one out :-) Put Down the Stone 2011/01/12 11:51:37 (permalink)
Dean,

I'm listening on my system and I just love the song.

I like the first mix better for some reason... may just be the mp3 is better on that one.

I would recommend that you bring down some of the upper mids of your vocal treatment. Perhaps cut the highs aggressively on effects layers? I know you said it was a simple mix... maybe just bring down the high end before it hits the compressor.

The song is fantastic and powerful I can imagine that listening to it repeatedly while mixing can deeply effect your mood.

In any event I can sense that you want the grit on the upper range of your voice but I think it a bit past the sweet spot.

I'd endeavor to keep the high end on the master vocal and make sure the reverb has a reduced hi freq response.

I also think a slight delay effect with the same idea might help keep the vocals present while de-emphasizing the gritty nature of the upper mids.

I think this song is worth finishing into a fantastic piece of art.

It's just great!

best regards,
mike

droddey
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5147
Re:Finally squeezed another one out :-) Put Down the Stone 2011/01/13 02:57:43 (permalink)
Yeh, some of that came from the MP3 (and whatever SoundCloud uses) encoding. It's not so present in the original WAV version, but it gets more so in the encoded version. It was right on the edge in the WAV version and the extra bit pushes it over the edge.

I'm going to start on something else and cleanse my brain of this one for a bit, then I'll come back to it with a fresh view and hit it again.

Dean Roddey
Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
www.charmedquark.com
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1