Question About Right Starter Gear

Author
mihajlo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/03/16 11:36:30 (permalink)

Question About Right Starter Gear

Hello,

I am interested in setting up a home recording studio but cannot really afford the “take the plunge” approach so I've opted for a very basic setup involving a microphone, computer digital audio interface, a laptop with Sonar editing/mixing software and home stereo speakers.

Basically, I need to be able to record audio tracks (mostly vocal; one at the time is fine for now since I am yet to figure out how to play multiple instruments at the same time), mix then and burn them on a cd. Additionally, for some instant gratification, I'd like to be able to sing along with some pre-recorded accompaniment tracks and have the output play on my home stereo speakers.

After doing some research I have narrowed down my choices to the following:

Microphones (price range between $100-$150):

Studio Projects B1
Marshall Electronics MXL2006
Shure SM58

I know the last one is a dynamic and not a condenser microphone but I'm thinking it might give me some versatility. Specifically I'm not sure whether condenser mics can be used for playback as well. Also, I understand they require a phantom power: is this something that typically comes with digital audio interfaces?

Audio Interfaces (price range around $200-$250)

Edirol FA66 24 Bit 96kHz Firewire Audio Interface
FireWire Solo FireWire Audio Interface
Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA Audio Interface

Any suggestions/comments from all you experts out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

15 Replies Related Threads

samhoff
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 304
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/16 11:59:38 (permalink)
    A few general comments.

First, I was in your position exactly a year ago (maybe a little more). Might not hurt to look up some of my old posts. I think I have an audiophile 2496 card, a Studio projects B1, and a small Behringer mixing board that was about $40 (that does provide phantom power). That and some cables and my MIDI capable keyboard and I was good to go (oh, except, of course, the DAW, Project 5 is what I use). But you're on the right track, people here will help you out an awful lot. I'm not sure I follow you when you ask about "Audio interfaces" but someone here will help you out; if you're talking about a small mixing board get the small Behringer I got.

My additional comment would be that far more important than your equipment is the time and talent you have to devote to it. On this forum are a lot of very, VERY serious musicians. There are others, like me, who just dink around for fun. The serious musicians always recommend the expensive stuff, but if you let them know it doesn't fit in your budget they'll help you find cheaper alternatives. And don't forget to HAVE FUN!

FWIW,

Sam
    mihajlo
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/16 17:00:33 (permalink)
    Thanks Sam, your comments were very helpful. Perhaps Audiophile 2496 card is what I consider Digital Audio Interface, I may have the wrong terminology though.

What is the Behringer mixing board used for? I assume it's for mixing, but I was under the impression that was done by Sonar software? I may need it for the Phantom power for the mic, but I'm hoping that can also be provided by one of those Audio Interface cards and/or my laptop.

Best regards,

Mihajlo
    calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/16 19:33:14 (permalink)
    I would suggest you go with the Shure SM58 or even an SM57. They arent the best mic in the world but they are versatile. They are super good on electric git, snare and vocals. Next time the president of the united states is on tv look at the mics he is talking into, SM57's with windscreens. Studio projects are supposed to be really good. MXL mics are highly variable in quality, some are great, some are too spiky.
    As far as an external mixer, a lot of folks find them useful for the headphone amp, monitoring while recording, extra mic preamps, and mixing several things to just one or two tracks (drum kit fer instance). I also like to have an actual knob or fader to grab if the computer starts spazzing or feedback creeps into the signal. Not the best time to mouse!

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/16 19:35:08 (permalink)
    can't tell you what to do about your audio interface but i would definitely not go with the sm58 for vocals. having not used any of the other equipment you mention i really can't say although i've heard a lot of people seem to think the studio projects b1 is an ok mic. however it is a condenser mic so you will need a mixer with phantom power like the behringer. i prefer mackie mixers but they are a lot more expensive. i have a 1202vlz which works great but it was $300.

you will also need some cables and i urge you not to skimp on them because cables are one thing that you can use for a long time. i now use mogami cables for 1/4" instrument/TRS cable although i confess to not having replaced my older 1/4" cables with mogami (that is why you must get them from the beginning! ). as for microphone cable i'm sure mogami has the same quality there as well.

be sure to figure out what your audio interface uses as an input - usually it's either 1/4" or RCA unbalanced inputs (or both). 1/4" balanced (TRS) inputs are going to give you a cleaner signal.

- jack the ex-cynic
    coldsteal2
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 741
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/16 21:00:25 (permalink)
    I think by the prices he posted he has a limited budget and is
    just trying to get started
    lukecoool
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/17 18:09:03 (permalink)
    Hi mihajlo

If you are on a limited budget then Sonar at £275 is an expensive option.
    Try Guitar Tracks Pro3
    Amazon.co.uk were selling it for £39.

I just moved from Sonar 2 to GTP3.
    I've used Sonar 2 from new (about 5 years) but
    Sonar had way too much learning and I didn't use 90% of the facilities.
    so it was wasted on me.

I record predominantly on guitar with some keyboard,bass and vocals
    GTP3 still uses the same audio engine as Sonar and records up to 32 tracks.
    The beatles did it with 2 four tracks! for Sgt Peppers but then again they also had Sir George Martin lucky sods.

I use an Audiophile 2496 as my soundcard ,and a Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer both pretty cheap.
    as for a mic I use an AKG C1000 condenser again fairly cheap.
    There are guys on here with enough quality gear to run professional studios with Sonar as their main DAW but I am sure they will agree with me that if you are just starting out don't go mad with newbie fever.

Start small and if you find you need to.... upgrade whatever you think needs it.
    I would however caution you that a small mixer is essential to give you a trouble free zero latency set up.
    It will allow you to monitor without a hitch and allow you to use EQ,Phantom power,and have an insert point for any outboard FX or compressor you may have already or may want to borrow.

The best advice I can give is also to try the 2nd hand gear market for a decent mic.
    Give GTP3 a go before buying Sonar it's a versatile and competent
    piece of software to start out with.

I hope this is of some help to you.

L.
    post edited by lukecoool - 2007/03/17 18:29:26
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/17 19:35:45 (permalink)
    If you buy GT3, plan on spending another hundred or more dollars on a soundcard upgrade. That software can easily overload if you go above 4 tracks. You are better off with a higher quality software product.
    Earwax
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 242
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/18 00:06:18 (permalink)
    First, if I found myself on a very limited startup budget, the last thing I would buy would be a laptop. The ability to expand, upgrade, and/or repair your DAW is, in my opinion, too limited with a laptop. Of course, if you already have a laptop, then the cost of a new computer wouldn't make sense if your funds are restricted. What is your TOTAL budget, including a computer?

Second, microphones are like Significant Others. What pins the corners of your mouth to YOUR ears, might have others gagging at the thought of close proximity. Some fine vocal recordings have been made with SM-58s. You have included the SM-58 in your list of candidates for good reason. Over the years, many have recommended them. But, the microphone does have limitations. On the other hand, reasonably good condenser mics have come down so low in price, they have become not only viable options, but staples in many a project studio. My advice....take comments and recommendations, go to your nearest audio gear emporium, tell 'em you want to try out some mics, sing your guts out, and listen, listen, listen........

Third, I too think Sonar could be a bit much for you to start with (the again, maybe not). Have a look at Cakewalk's "junior" products. The upgrade path to Sonar from there is not bad at all.

Ciao

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
    IzovAge
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 398
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/18 01:31:00 (permalink)
    Interface - Echo Audiofire 2 ( firewire ) - $199
    Small Mixer - Soundcraft Compact 4 - $99
    Mic - Shure SM 57 - $89

I have and use everyone of these. All very worthy for the price.

You can later get a condenser mic but the 57 will do everything you need to get started and will always be used even after the condenser purchase.

One thing I'd like to ask, does the laptop already have a firewire connection ? If not, then you'll need a PCMCIA firewire card. I'd go with an ADS PYRO, excellent card.

As for the program, start with Home Studio. You should be able to still get version 4 at just about all the stores which would be fine. Since Cakewalk as just upgraded to version 6 you'll be able to upgrade once you get the feel for things. Actually, if version 6 is still just $99 go for that but I doubt its in the stores yet.

Home Studio is an excellent program. With the proper attention you can achieve very good results.

I know your budget is tight but you'll be needing some monitors (speakers) as soon as you can afford them. Don't settle for less in this department. It's gonna cost you $300 for a good pair. May I suggest the Tascam VL-X5's. You won't find a better pair for that price.

Like some of the others already mentioned, the people on this board are really helpful so don't hesitate to ask.

Peace and Good Luck
    mihajlo
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/21 12:17:06 (permalink)
    Thanks to all of you for very insightful comments. After much deliberation I've decided to go with M-Audio Firewire Solo interface and Studio Projects B1 mic just to get my feet wet. I am anxious to hear what my first recording will sound like!

I will probably also get a Shure SM57/58 mic soon...and will also be on the market for some Monitors...man this is an expensive hobby;)
    Randy P
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/21 12:39:55 (permalink)
    Depends on how you look at at. 20 years ago the recording software we now use didn't exist. The hardware you would have to buy to do what a 300.00 to 400.00 software package can do today would cost approx. 30000.00 bucks. At least. If you get "gear fever" like alot of home studio users, you can really start to spend some serious cash. If it is just a hobby for you, and you understand that recording music and making it sound like your favorite cd's isn't realistic, you shouldn't have to spend crazy money. Good luck. We also look forward to hearing your music.

Randy

p.s. Ignore pisstol pete. He is as dumb as a stump and everybody here knows it.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/21 19:29:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mihajlo
    I will probably also get a Shure SM57/58 mic soon...and will also be on the market for some Monitors...man this is an expensive hobby;)

yeah tell me about it. trust me when i say to get the sm57 first. my first mic was an sm58 and after getting a small diaphragm condenser and an sm57 i haven't touched it since. i suppose if i ever do any live work i would use it again.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/21 19:39:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net
    If you get "gear fever" like alot of home studio users, you can really start to spend some serious cash. If it is just a hobby for you, and you understand that recording music and making it sound like your favorite cd's isn't realistic, you shouldn't have to spend crazy money. Good luck. We also look forward to hearing your music.

this is another good point to consider. a lot of people come on to this forum having spent mortgages on stuff (particularly mastering plugins, seems no one can resist the allure of the "make it shiny" button) and then asking everyone how to use this or that $1000 piece of software or some tube pre-amp they bought because it has a tube. my rule of thumb is not to buy anything until i have learned to use what i have and know which limitations my purchase will remove, and can express that in terms other than "it will make my mixes sound more like the pros".

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jesse G
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4282
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/21 20:12:22 (permalink)
    Presonus has one studio package that will save you lots of time and money.

zzsounds.com is selling it for $349.95 with free shipping.

You can order it early and it is expected to be in by April 1 and begin shipping that day. All newbies shoud get this deal.

Looks at what's offered.

Look at the big picture ~~> HERE

The Presonus Inspire Studio Package Includes:

Presonus Inspire Interface
    CAD GXL2200 studio condenser microphone
    M Audio Studio Pro 3 powered monitors
    20 foot Whirlwind mic cable
    On Stage tripod microphone boom stand
    Hosa dual RCA to dual RCA cable
    Presonus Inspire Features

24-bit/96k A/D/A sample rate
    Four simultaneous input channels
    Two microphone/instrument preamplifiers
    Switchable line input or phono input(with RIAA filter)
    Software Control Panel and zero latency mixer
    Window XP and Macintosh OSX compatible
    FireWire bus-powered or powered externally
    Cubase LE audio recording and production software

What’s Inside:

The INSPIRE 1394 is loaded with state of the art components and technology enabling the easiest computer recording experience ever. The INSPIRE 1394 installs effortlessly on both Windows XP and Macintosh-based computers and works seamlessly with virtually all popular recording software including Cubase, Nuendo, Sonar, Cakewalk, Logic, Logic Express, Digital Performer and many others. The microphone and instrument preamplifiers loaded in the INSPIRE 1394 are designed to deliver ultra-low noise, high gain preamplification for all types of microphones and instruments needed for professional quality recordings.

Ins and Outs:

The front panel of the INSPIRE 1394 features two custom-designed PreSonus microphone preamplifiers with +48V phantom power and two instrument Hi-Z inputs. The back of the INSPIRE features selectable line or phono (with RIAA filter) inputs great for all types of keyboards, samplers, drum machines and turntables. Outputs on the INSPIRE 1394 include RCA unbalanced and mini TRS jacks as well as headphone output.

Software Control Panel:

The INSPIRE 1394 is completely controlled by an easy-to-use software mixer interface called the CONTROL PANEL. Controls include, input gain, phantom power, limiter (off/on), preamp boost (off/on), sample rate, headphone volume, main output volume as well as zero latency input mixing with playback mixing. This software control panel also serves as a mixer between your computer playback and your inputs for zero latency recording.

Daisy Chain for More Inputs:

The INSPIRE 1394 is equipped with two FireWire connectors enabling the ability to daisy-chain up to FOUR INSPIRE 1394’s together for up to sixteen simultaneous inputs at 24-bit/96k recording rate..

A Complete System

The INSPIRE 1394 comes complete with Cubase LE recording and production software featuring 48 audio tracks, 96 MIDI tracks, VST plug-ins and full VSTi support. Cubase LE is upgradeable to Cubase SX or Nuendo, Steinberg’s premier audio production software.

CAD GXL2200 Features:

The CAD GXL2200 is a fantastic way to upgrade your studio or add to your mic locker.
    The GXL2200 is a large diameter, fixed cardioid pattern, condenser microphone designed to deliver a high level of performance. High sensitivity and low distortion make the GLX2200 an ideal candidate for recording, broadcast, sound reinforcement including vocal and instrument applications. The capsule in the GXL2200 features a 1inch gold vapor deposited diaphragm for consisten sound quality over a long lifetime. The GXL2200 comes with a shock mount that will fit any standard 5/8inch x 27 threaded microphone stand. The GXL2200 is audio tested and inspected under the direction of CAD Professional Microphones, offering an exceptional level of value. The GXL2200 requires 48-volt phantom power.

M Audio Studio Pro 3:

M Audio StudioPro 3 active monitors bring reference-quality audio fidelity right to your desktop.
    Custom-tuned cabinets, optimized speaker design, and advanced crossover technology combine with generous built-in amplification to deliver the best sound you can get in monitors this size. Complete with magnetic shielding to prevent interference with computer and video monitors, StudioPro 3 speakers deliver great audio experiences from your music and multimedia applications. They’re also great for traveling.

Recording engineers and music producers around the world rely on M-Audio reference monitors to insure that their mixes are accurate.

M Audio StudioPro 3 Monitors Features:

3.25-inch low-frequency drivers; 1-inch high-frequency drivers
    Self-powered
    Remarkably accurate frequency response and imaging
    Advanced crossover design
    Custom-tuned wood cabinet
    Magnetic shielding prevents computer/video monitor interference
    Vented port design for added bass
    Transportable, compact design is ergonomic and flexible
    Internal standing wave acoustic absorption for greater efficiency
    Bass Boost switch
    Factory programmed for worldwide use
    RCA rear-panel inputs; convenient front-panel 1/8-inch inputs
    Includes directional stands to optimize listening sweet spot

Get while it's being offered at such great price.

Peace

post edited by Jesse G - 2007/03/22 18:34:25

Peace,
    Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
    ==============================
    Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    pistolpete
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1584
    RE: Question About Right Starter Gear 2007/03/22 07:46:52 (permalink)
    rsp -
    Go laydown you dumb stump. 33000 users here are tired of your crap.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1