Simulating Moog filter sound in Rapture

Author
Dan_E10
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 118
2007/03/16 13:04:10 (permalink)

Simulating Moog filter sound in Rapture

I've been playing around with Rapture (v1.0, I haven't been able to download 1.1 yet, arghh!) trying to recreate a patch from Arturia's Moog Modular V demo called SimplBass1. I've been doing this more as an exercise in learning and tweaking Rapture than anything else. Now I know the intent of Rapture is not specifically to be a virtual analog synth and I bought it over any of the virtual analogs because of it's flexibility. But, I'm sure that by taking advantage of all the dsp power available in Rapture it can do a much better job with this type of simple analog patch than I have been able to manage so far. Do any of you have any general tips on how to use the second filter and the other dsp stages to maybe come a bit closer to the filter sound in something like the Moog Modular? I came across some talk about that on this forum back when Rapture was just released, but I didn't find much discussion about it after that.

Here's some more specific detail on the patch I'm trying to match from MMV. It's set up with 3 oscillators, all sawtooth, 2 detuned slightly from each other with the 3rd tuned an octave lower. It uses a single 24db/oct filter on the 3 oscillators, I forget the cutoff offhand but the resonance is at 0. As far as I can tell, there are no effects like reverb or chorus added and I matched the EG's on the filter and the Amp. Maybe there is some key following on the cutoff freq. but I'm not sure how much. Comparing this patch in MMV and my copy of it in Rapture, MMV has quite a different sound. I've tried changing the Filter freq. and the strength and timing of the EG's, and I can get a little closer, but that Moog sound is still elusive. Setting multimode to 9v and adding some detuning definitely has an interesting effect, but still not exactly what I'm after.

I came across this page about a Moog filter simulation for synthedit: http://www.vstdev.com/developers_moogfilter.asp
You can see the the rough frequency response of the Moog 24db filter. I'm sure Rapture's filter's are a bit more shall we say accurate than that? Nonetheless, this page and some of the early Rapture discussion on this forum gave me the idea of messing around with filter 2 and the other dsp's to spice up this patch in a more Moogish way. Anyone tried anything like this with good results? Maybe I'm just heading for frustration trying to make Rapture do something it wasn't aimed at, but I'm sure it can do better than I have so far and I have no plans to get MMV.
thanks,
Dan

2 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Simulating Moog filter sound in Rapture 2007/03/16 13:22:45 (permalink)
    For starters, download the Rapture 1.1 update. The new LPS 2 state variable filter should be closer to what you're after. You can 'dirty up' the LP4 biquad with the DSP distortions (like Tube), but ... As for the second filter, you might want to start with the series routings. In 1.1, those would be 01, 02, 03, or 07. Leave DSP1, DSP2, and DSP3 out of the equation to start, but where they end up in the chain greatly affects the results.

Try a single LPS 2 in F1 for starters, then add another 'cleaner' filter after that. Or maybe two LPS2 in series, two LP2 or even LP4, and make sure that the Cutoff in F2 isn't a whole lot lower than the one in F1. That said, a Moog is a Moog is a Moog. There's a little more to the hardware variables than an emulation can produce. But you can get real close.

Edit: A lot of emulations make a mystery out of 'analog drift'. Again, you can come very close by incorporating some shallow random or fluctuating behavior into your patch. Perhaps some very slow (a few fractional Hz.) in the Pitch LFO of a cent or two. Random Bipolar or Unipolar control over Cut1 (or Cut 2), using the filter's LFO, or StepGen with Smoothing. Phase control (low Sample Offset values) with velocity in the MIDI Matrix. Start out with exaggerated Depths to key in on the effect itself, and then back it off until it's almost imperceptible.
    post edited by b rock - 2007/03/16 13:40:27
    Dan_E10
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Simulating Moog filter sound in Rapture 2007/03/17 22:54:27 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info B. Rock. I downloaded 1.1 and I'm glad I did. Selecting the different filters and dsp's from the drop downs is a lot easier. I tried playing around with the new filters but unfortunately effect was still subtle because, well, ahem... I hadn't done a good job of dialing in the EG.s to begin with. The time values on the adsr envelopes in MMV don't translate directly to Rapture I guess. I ended up recording a little riff and looping it to play through MMG first and then Rapture over and over. Soloing each oscillator and adjusting the envelopes on the filters and the amps by ear seemed to do the trick. I have to say that Rapture is awesome. I'm really just starting to scratch the surface, but it's so much fun, when am I actually going to have time to do some composing? Thanks for all the tutorials and programs you've put up by the way. I hope I can make it through all of them soon.
    Dan
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1