Rapture v1.1 Programs

Author
jacx
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2007/03/16 23:58:21 (permalink)

Rapture v1.1 Programs

I noticed the presets are not in the install directory anymore with the 1.1 update, they are now located in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs.

Is there any way I can get them back in the install directory and have them show up in the browser? somthing like a reg change or somthing? I just would rather have the programs/presets by the plugin, not some place else like document and settings.

Thanks.

6 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/17 00:24:26 (permalink)
    That is to make it Vista proof, but I'm with you.

Just drag the new programs to your old slot (Programs/Cakewalk/Rapture/Programs). However, it seems that Rapture will now default to the Docs and Settings search. Haven't found a way to circumvent that - I just use the Docs and Settings folder but put the programs in both. The actual sound files are still under the program directory, so the programs themselves are pretty small.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jacx
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/17 00:38:58 (permalink)
    Yeah I tryed moving the programs but the browser dosen't find them.
    I also read the whole vista folder structure thing to, so it looks like
    documents and settings is where the programs will be from now on.

Kinda sucks, but ohhh well I can live with it.
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/17 03:51:18 (permalink)
    The Browser needs a menu perhaps? File/Browse....?

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    MurderDethKill
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1904
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/19 09:11:32 (permalink)
    Thanks Chad !!!

My site i guess;)
    Monstruousubergeekyhardcorefunkytrancepolkaoptimism Lives!!!
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/19 09:55:08 (permalink)
    I noticed the presets are not in the install directory anymore with the 1.1 update, they are now located in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Cakewalk\Rapture\Programs.

Is there any way I can get them back in the install directory and have them show up in the browser? somthing like a reg change or somthing? I just would rather have the programs/presets by the plugin, not some place else like document and settings.

Let's start saying that on Windows, the "Documents and Settings" folder is the correct place for... err... Documents and Settings . This one has been renamed to "ProgramData" in Windows Vista.
    Having your programs somewhere else outside of \Program Files will make it much easier to differentiate program files from data files, see what you need to backup, and avoid backing up anything under \Rapture over and over.

This change was 'proposed' for all applications many years ago with Windows XP, and 'reinforced' with the introduction of Vista. Of course, if you disable UAC and Virtualization in Vista you can just treat it as XP. Losing the alleged benefits of the new and stronger file/privileges system, that is.

Still, someone who would not care about that and would like to have everything under the installation folder regardless of what's really, really good, still can do it. There's a new string that you could eventually add to your registry to do it:

HKLM\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Rapture\Use Single Folder, set it to "Yes".

Then move \Programs, \Sample Pool and \MIDI into your installation folder (the three folders where Rapture can write). You will naturally need Administrator privileges to run Rapture in this way.

The reasons why I don't recommend this, besides the backup hassle and and loss of program/data separation are:

- You need admin rights (add "Run As Administrator" in Vista) to play Rapture this way. Ungood, or at least unoptimal.
    - Expansion Pack installers, current and future, don't take this setting into account. Therefore you buy manual program moving instead of instant happiness.
    - It might turn your fish tank water into orange juice.

-René
    AvR
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Rapture v1.1 Programs 2007/03/29 15:18:48 (permalink)
    jacx, you said you moved the programs but the browser did not find them. If you have the programs still in the folder, press F5 for refresh. Does that show them?

AvR
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1