z3ta+ USER LFO wavetables

Author
oroboros
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 901
2007/03/18 22:49:55 (permalink)

z3ta+ USER LFO wavetables

All right ... I want to make a USER LFO waveform for z3ta. I know that .wav files are now 'importable' as USER oscillators (as of v1.4), but it looks as if LFO waveforms must still be in the .pcm format. Okay, fine. I opened the one included example USER LFO, 'luser1.pcm' into Audition @ 44.1K, mono, 32bit float, 0 offset, looks like a wavy sine wave. Seems to sounds like what it looks like on the screen, as far as I can tell, so the import parameters look to be correct. So far, so good, I seem to be on the right track - seems logical to export as I imported. So I create my single-cycle sound file in Audition, name it as 'luser2.pcm' - save it as a 44.1K, mono, 32bit float (0.24), 0 offset, no header PCM file - attempt to import, doesn't work. What am I missing? What exact format does a USER LFO waveform need to be in for z3ta? Thanks for any help on this.

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum

3 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: z3ta+ USER LFO wavetables 2007/03/19 15:10:24 (permalink)
    What exact format does a USER LFO waveform need to be in for z3ta?
    I'm on "TDY", so right now, I don't have access to anything that I might've come up with before, OB. But I just tried a quick hack that worked. I made some copies of the original luser1.pcm file in Audacity. Then I processed each of the copies to make them distinctive.

In Audacity's Preferences, I went to File Formats -> Uncompressed Export Format -> Other. In the popup, I changed the Header to RAW (header-less) and 32 bit float encoding. Now, instead of File -> Export as Wav, I've got Export as RAW. I went in to Wavetables, and manually changed the file extensions from luser2.raw to luser2.pcm, luser3.raw to luser3.pcm, etc.

Undoubtedly not the right way; just rough and ready. It looks like the original file is ~8804 samples long. Audacity is a cool free app, but I always find myself running into a brick wall without having another audio editor batting cleanup.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: z3ta+ USER LFO wavetables 2007/03/19 16:10:35 (permalink)
    The procedure and application you used is correct: needs to be a PCM file, 0.24 32-bit, 44.1kHz, mono, no offset. One important note is that it needs to be 8820 samples long, and live in the \Wavetables folder.
    z3ta+ will read it during the startup of the first instance (all instances need to be closed and then reopen to refresh).

I used Audition to create many LFO waveforms, so it works. I suggest to double check the length and close/reopen part of the procedure, and craft a file by opening the luser1.pcm and then overwriting it.
    oroboros
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    RE: z3ta+ USER LFO wavetables 2007/03/19 22:45:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for that, René. It was the 8820 samples part I didn't have down. Wasn't sure if it needed to be a fixed length or not, or what that length was. Great, thanks, that's what I needed!

To think, at one time P5 was a $429 MSRP app.

I think that technology and music has always been together, and I think music is science, anyway. - Vangelis

The Other P5 Forum
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1