The SFZ 2.0 Thread

Author
Melvin J.
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 210
2007/03/23 03:04:28 (permalink)

The SFZ 2.0 Thread

Alright, it's time. With the release of the sfz 2.0 format opcode listing from the Cakewalk Synthesizers (from presets to power user) book, I request that we start tearing into this format from the ground up. The book goes into detail about what the opcodes can do, but I am often left scratching my head as to how to actually use them. An example; I would like to create a Flexible Envelope Generator to control one of the sixty or so destinations. I think a few example files of this nature would be of great help to me and others. I have learned to modify sfz's and create some basic one's but I would like to start doing some further out there designs.
I think some of us are ready to start getting further into these synths now that they have been out for a while. I have learned a great deal over the past twelve months or so and I would like to take my programming skills up a notch or two over the next six to nine months.
If anybody has any killer sfz's that they could share, this could be a cool place to share them.

13 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/23 06:01:34 (permalink)
    I am often left scratching my head as to how to actually use them. An example; I would like to create a Flexible Envelope Generator to control one of the sixty or so destinations.
    As "Simon Says" in the book, many of the opcodes aren't implemented yet, or have made it into one synth, but not another. To his credit, this was a massive undertaking; one that was difficult to cover completely. It's also understandable that a few errors and omissions have snuck in.

I've got a couple of early experiments up online for you, Melvin. Bigass Bandpass here expands on one of Rene's filter explorations. [Note that it's reported to get scrambled in a Firefox browser. I used the PGD "code" tags on the forum, and I suspect that to be the cause.]

For a Flex LFO/Flex EG example with a phase shifter, check out P-Lead Insanity here. A friend of mine pointed out a "dead opcode" that I had inadvertently left in (lfo15_freq_lfo=10). Through experimentation, he found some valid parameters.

I'll have to clean these up when I get the chance, but they'll work, and get you started. There's also a dead link here to the sfz v2 test suite 1. I didn't have much time then to play "ping pong", but I do have the kit here. I'll stick it up on a server later on.

Also, keep an eye on the expanding information at the Project5 Wiki. The Dimension section has a good start. (Hmm. No .sfz specific to Rapture there yet. That needs addressing ...)
    Paradroid
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 05:55:13 (permalink)
    I request that we start tearing into this format from the ground up

I felt exactly this way when Dimension Original Flavour was first released. At that stage, I was deep into the sfz v1.0 spec and was hungry for every morsel that might reveal more about how sfz grew in the transition from the freeware sfz player to Dimension.

However, a tidal wave of information was not forthcoming… no matter how much noise I made. Instead, there was a trickle of bits and pieces, some full and half explanations from René, and, as Tom mentioned, the first Test Suite that revealed quite a bit.

Since then, the spec has grown enormously, as can been seen in Simon's book. However, be warned that many of the newer additions only exist in “future” instruments (if you can read between the lines there…) so you may be up for some heart ache if you go plugging in some of the more advanced opcodes into RP 1.1 or DP 1.2, et al.

I wish I could offer more than that but the problem is that there just hasn't been the ground swell support for the format in the way some of us would have hoped for. I mean, I thought we'd pack out a venue like this with sonic adventurers ready to push the whole concept to the limit. Instead what we have is a family of highly regarded instruments with beautiful interfaces and a user base that is aware of this sfz thingie underneath it all but no real desire to have a poke around and write a few opcodes.

The situation may change but it's real chicken and egg stuff for CW: if only a few curious souls are bothering with the format, why invest time expanding and documenting the damn thing? It baffles me since there are way geekier audio toys out there that have cult followings…

Anyway, no point dwelling on what might of been: fire away with any sfz questions you have! (Oh, you already have: Envelope Generator controls… I'll be back soon…
    )
    post edited by Paradroid - 2007/03/30 05:57:09
    b rock
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 07:11:23 (permalink)
    if only a few curious souls are bothering with the format, why invest time expanding and documenting the damn thing?
    Do you mean, like the Open Labs folks, who have embraced the SFZ format as a sample export format for high-end live workstations like the Miko?
    Just wait until those prices start dropping a little ...
    Paradroid
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 07:23:18 (permalink)
    Open Labs

René mentioned that… then a major cosmic crossover (from the guy that made this). Check it:

Thanks, I work for a company called open labs doing drivers and such.
    So yeah, I have no time for it at the moment.
    Hopefully something more someday.

EnergyXt is good

joel

Dale Brimblecombe wrote:
    >
    > G’day Joel,
    >
    > I’m writing to say thanks for making and providing xTal – that little
    > VST fitted the job perfectly today as I DJed for our school athletics
    > sports.
    >
    > I teach music at a secondary school in Australia and got the job of
    > providing a PA for the announcers and also tunes to fill in the gaps.
    > I set up a patch in EnergyXT with xTal for playback, Kjaerhus GAG for
    > mic ducking, Electri-Q for EQing the MP3s and a Novation ReMOTE SL 25
    > providing hands on control for the whole thing. xTal was the vital
    > component since no other media player allowed interaction with my
    > VST-based patch. Traktion looks impressive but xTal won the day with
    > its ability to insert into a VST chain.
    >
    > Anyway, I assume that development has been slow of late but I just
    > wanted to thank you for such a neat tool. Cross-fading, controlling
    > level and freaking out patches in real-time was much fun and the VST
    > environment meant that ducking of the announcers voices was done
    > automatically. It’d be great if you return to xTal someday but I was
    > very impressed with the level of performance despite the infancy of
    > the software.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dale Brimblecombe
    >
    > Melbourne, Australia
    Paradroid
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 07:26:42 (permalink)
    …and Kontakt is giving it the nod too.
    Melvin J.
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 09:21:26 (permalink)
    …and Kontakt is giving it the nod too.

Well that's pretty cool.
    I really do hope that SFZ continues to grow. It's just so powerful. I really want to do more experimenting with it.
    Paradroid
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 09:38:35 (permalink)
    I really want to do more experimenting with it.

Well, stick around! I'll chew your ear off on this topic!
    Melvin J.
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 12:26:45 (permalink)
    Yeah dude, that's what I want to hear! I have been trying to talk to friends about it and have very limited success. All I need is someone who I can bounce ideas off of to get the creative side of me going. I wish there was a spot where we could upload users SFZ text files so other's could use and study them.
    b rock
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 13:15:09 (permalink)
    I wish there was a spot where we could upload users SFZ text files so other's could use and study them.
    Right here in the Instruments section as a focused thread? Text is text. I've gotten a little behind on sharing some things myself, Melvin.
    When I catch a little glimpse of daylight, though ...
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 15:56:15 (permalink)
    Fruity Loops 7 now exports their drum machine output in SFZ. At least that is what help sez. Í was just looking at the latest program and saw that note. Not sure what exactly that means, tho.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Melvin J.
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 18:39:38 (permalink)
    Right here in the Instruments section as a focused thread? Text is text. I've gotten a little behind on sharing some things myself, Melvin.
    When I catch a little glimpse of daylight, though ...

Yeah, I know B. But it seems like there could be a cleaner way to do go about it. Maybe a new spot in the Wiki?
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 19:42:38 (permalink)
    We have posted SFZ files (W/O sample locations) Here in the instrument forum.

Do a search for <region> And these should come up.

If you have a direct request post it up and I bet someone will have an idea.
    b rock
    RE: The SFZ 2.0 Thread 2007/03/30 19:54:49 (permalink)
    a cleaner way to do go about it. Maybe a new spot in the Wiki?
    There's zero reason that we couldn't do that. Mike West recently changed servers/providers, with more than enough room to grow.
    There are a few things to consider first:

1). Some sfz. files work nearly identically across instruments. Some don't. You may have to indicate as much, or internally cross-link at the Wiki.

2). To contribute to the Wiki, now there's a simple "verification" email process. It's to keep out the automated disruption. I'll have to look into the specifics, because I was in before that was put into place.

3). Wiki markup language (to contribute in a readable manner) is a little different. It's not difficult, but it does require a little study of how it works. There's an online reference (very comprehensive) to keep you informed as you're contributing, but some people view that as a hurdle that they don't care to jump.

4). For whatever reasons, the P5 Wiki remains the best-kept under-utilized 'secret' around these forums. I'm not privy to the hit numbers, but many of the questions that come up here have already been addressed at the Wiki. One quick glance at the Recent Files will tell you that two or three people at best are contributing to it.

Summary: You need to be a logged member to contribute, edit, and organize there. That will require a working knowledge of the mechanics. A few more active participants are needed. It's a great community resource that lacks the community. There's the 'PR problem' of still having to duplicate announcement threads here every time something new develops 'over there'.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1