Free On-Line Mass Storage?

Author
Joe Bravo
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1870
2007/03/24 17:36:31 (permalink)

Free On-Line Mass Storage?

I'm sure there probably is no such place, but I was wondering if there's such a thing as a "free" on-line data storage host where I could upload a DVD ISO file (more than 4-gigs) so others could retrive it for downloading. I have a video at YouTube that people keep asking for copies of, and I don't mind letting them have copies (it's camcorder concert footage) but it would be easier and cheaper if they could download it instead of me having to burn and send a DVD. I'm not sure how long it would take to download a 4-gig file, but that's the price they'd have to pay for it.

I should also point out that all of the online mass storage sites I've looked at will only allow about 1 gig of bandwidth use per month, so even though some of them will allow 5 gigs or more of free storage, it doesn't help with my situation.
post edited by Joe Bravo - 2007/03/24 20:30:22

13 Replies Related Threads

Thomas Campitelli
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 598
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/25 15:49:42 (permalink)
    Hey Joe,

When you start talking about gigabytes of data, you probably need a web hosting account. If all you want to do is share a video clip, then it may not be worth it, but you could upload your 4 GB file and allow others to download it if you use a webhost. Check out:

http://www.webmasters.com/
    http://www.powweb.com/

I use both of these hosts. Webmasters is really satisfying and has great customer service. PowWeb has more bandwidth and is cheap. You do get what you pay for.

You could also look into BitTorrent. Yes, I realize that it mostly gets used for piracy, but it has legitimate uses, too. In fact, allowing for legal, decentralized distribution of media content is one of the trumpeted reasons for BitTorrent's existence. It enables you to spread the bandwidth out among other users. It also meets your free criteria, provided your ISP doesn't get pissed at you for using a lot of upload bandwidth.

The last thing to consider is making your video smaller. Does it really need to be DVD quality? I'm not a video expert, but there are ways to scale and compress the video that will make it easier to distribute.

Thomas Campitelli
    http://www.crysknifeband.com
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/25 23:45:48 (permalink)
    I've got a good web host Tom (phpwebhosting.com), with no bandwidth restrictions, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting that much of a strain on them since we're kind of on our honor over there. (They're happy to give you a lot of freedom, but they don't want you to abuse the system).

I've got most of the vids uploaded to YouTube from the DVD so it's already in a compressed form that anybody can download. I'd just like to be able to give it to them lossless too if I can. Not that mpeg video is lossless, but I mean, with no more of a loss.

Thanks for helping.
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/29 18:41:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, for all the things the Internet makes possible, easily moving around gigabytes of data is still a bit messy. I will be interested to hear what you decide upon.

Thomas Campitelli
    Thomas Campitelli
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/29 18:43:33 (permalink)
    Once again, this isn't free, and uploads are limited to 2 GB, but you might want to consider You Send It. You probably ran across them already, but in case not,

http://www.yousendit.com/

Thomas Campitelli
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/29 19:56:39 (permalink)
    Found this one via PCWorld magazine. It is listed in their article 101 Fantastic Freebies. The site is called 'MediaMax' and it states you can store up to 25GB (yes, with a 'G') for free. The web site is http://www.mediamax.com/. According to their web site, they will host your audio and video files.

I have not used this site, can't speak for how reliable/responsive they are. However, they did make the PCWorld list.

Hope it helps!

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/29 21:39:20 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, but these still won't do what I really wanted to do, which is to simply upload the DVD ISO file (4 1/2 Gigs) and let anyone download it to their heart's content. They may give away 5, 10, or even 25 gigs of storage space, but then they'll hamper you by only allowing you to upload 1 gig per month, and will only allow your friends to download a gig or two. Even if they allowed a 5-gig download per month, only one person could download the ISO file in any given month and then I'd be out of allocated bandwidth. The one Robert just left a link for would be okay if I wanted to pay for extra download permissions. For $25 per month they'll let people download up to 100-gigs every month. That's great, but I just don't want to pay in order to do it. I can buy a blank DVD for less than 75 cents, a padded envelope for about the same, and two postage stamps with get it where I want it to go in the USA. I only mail out around a half dozen or so every month so it's still cheaper to do it by snail-mail. I've been sending them free however, and I guess I'm gonna start requiring people to send me an SAE (padded w/ two stamps) with a blank DVD. I should have done that from the get-go.

Thanks for your time. Probably in a couple of more years mass storage on the Internet will grow in leaps and bounds, and I'll be able to finally do what I wanted to.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/03/30 06:02:56 (permalink)
    Fred Thompson For President

BreezyJamz
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/04/02 11:28:44 (permalink)
    Hey Joe, I have only put up audio files to maybe 60 meg but it says unlimited size. I have always been pleased with the results just don't know how they do it for free.
    www.fileho.com
    Have a great day bubba, Breezy.
    Joe Bravo
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/04/03 16:03:33 (permalink)
    Long time no see Breezy. Thanks for the link man.
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/04/03 23:00:17 (permalink)
    never done it myself but here's something you might want to check out:

http://dessent.net/btfaq/#maketorrent

bittorrent gets a bad rap because of piracy but it's hands down the best peer to peer file transferring method on the internet. since you've already got a website you might be able to host the torrent on there. keep in mind that the torrent file is not the actual data, it's a smallish file that tells bittorrent users how to get your file from your computer. naturally you have to leave bittorrent on at your home machine unless someone else is willing to seed the file.

- jack the ex-cynic
    goodnamesalltaken
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/04/29 14:36:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MandolinPicker

Found this one via PCWorld magazine. It is listed in their article 101 Fantastic Freebies. The site is called 'MediaMax' and it states you can store up to 25GB (yes, with a 'G') for free. The web site is http://www.mediamax.com/. According to their web site, they will host your audio and video files.

I have not used this site, can't speak for how reliable/responsive they are. However, they did make the PCWorld list.

Hope it helps!

Hey! I'm new here, and was looking for (basically) the same thing. I just tried MediaMax and they are GREAT!!! My video iPod holds 30GB, so 25GB is A LOT of storage space - wow! And for free?? You can't beat that! Thanks for your post - you saved the day!
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/04/29 21:15:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: goodnamesalltaken

Hey! I'm new here, and was looking for (basically) the same thing. I just tried MediaMax and they are GREAT!!! My video iPod holds 30GB, so 25GB is A LOT of storage space - wow! And for free?? You can't beat that! Thanks for your post - you saved the day!

Glad to help! That's what we are here for...

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Spinedoc
    • Total Posts : 574
    RE: Free On-Line Mass Storage? 2007/05/02 21:01:32 (permalink)
    Don't you have to provide media max with a credit card # and install special software (which I think also acts as a kind of spyware)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1