Drum track methodology for trip hop

Author
auricle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 492
2007/03/30 10:48:23 (permalink)

Drum track methodology for trip hop

I want to start writing trip hop music but I am unsure about how to produce the drum parts.

The best method would be to produce my own but to be honest I am not very good at creating drum tracks, they sound pretty naff, saying that, I don't want to use the same loops that everyone else uses.

I have Battery 3 which is absolutely great for the drum sounds themselves. I have tried the Jamstix demo which seems great at adding various realistic randomness and can be used as a host for Battery to use its sounds.

The other way is to use Stylus RMX with perhaps S.A.G.E. liquid grooves but I have never tried it and there is no demo available. It seems rather expensive to buy it just to try it but everyone seems to rave about it.

What do you recommend? Is there anybody there producing similar music? What do you use?

6 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/03/30 12:08:04 (permalink)
    As a quick start, I'd say try to use some pre-existing MIDI drum parts/loops.
    If you have Project 5, it comes with a a ton. But you can use them in almost any CW product.

ORIGINAL: auricle

I want to start writing trip hop music but I am unsure about how to produce the drum parts.

The best method would be to produce my own but to be honest I am not very good at creating drum tracks, they sound pretty naff, saying that, I don't want to use the same loops that everyone else uses.

I have Battery 3 which is absolutely great for the drum sounds themselves. I have tried the Jamstix demo which seems great at adding various realistic randomness and can be used as a host for Battery to use its sounds.

The other way is to use Stylus RMX with perhaps S.A.G.E. liquid grooves but I have never tried it and there is no demo available. It seems rather expensive to buy it just to try it but everyone seems to rave about it.

What do you recommend? Is there anybody there producing similar music? What do you use?

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    auricle
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/03/30 12:20:58 (permalink)
    Yes, you are probably right. Common sense prevails

I do have Project5. I like Jamstix's humanise functions but I don't think it's appropriate for electronic styles.
    post edited by auricle - 2007/03/30 12:23:47
    Paradroid
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/03/30 17:55:27 (permalink)
    I want to start writing trip hop music

Trip hop, eh? Are we talking Portishead,Tricky, Boards of Canada sort of stuff or am I way off? If I can check out some examples of where you want to get to I may have some possible starting points…
    auricle
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/03/31 17:52:23 (permalink)
    Yes, I am thinking about bands like Portishead, Tricky, Massive Attack, etc.
    Paradroid
    • Total Posts : 454
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/03/31 19:33:31 (permalink)
    Okay, good. I'm not all that studied in the sonic universe of these artists but I do own albums by all three that you mentioned.

Basically, I think you need to start with the right drum samples… and I'm not talking about the glossy content that came with whatever programs you have. Many of these artists use sampled break beats from '60s & '70s funk and soul artists because of the earthy, organic, gritty sound. Certainly, on the Portishead album I just listened to there are some recognizable classics although they're much more filtered and effected than the way hip-hop artists might present these beats.

Let me scrounge around and see if I can find some examples of what I mean…

Oh, before I do… do you have Dimension, Rapture, RXP or DropZone running on your system?
    auricle
    RE: Drum track methodology for trip hop 2007/04/01 06:25:47 (permalink)
    Hi Paradroid, thanks for your suggestions.

I do have Dimension Pro, Rapture and RXP - just check out my signature.

Also check out this band on soundclick:

The Wimshurst's Machine and listen to a track called The Fatherland. It is a very laid back track with a busy drum part made by a drum machine rather than a lifted loop. I like that style too.

Thanks for all your help.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1