Mastering software?

Author
lukecoool
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 88
2007/04/01 08:46:30 (permalink)

Mastering software?

Any wizards of the Dark Art of mastering out there?
Never having used mastering software (forgive my lack of knowlege on the subject ) I am in need of as much information as you can share with me on the subject.
From the sparse reviews via the web and the relative cheapness in the UK of Ozone3 I am thinking of biting the bullet and buying it.

If anyone out there is using Ozone 3 for mastering I would welcome your
input as to the ease of use and results.ie are the presets any good?Levels of undo?Real time preview?

Are there any other mastering software products within a working man's budget I should also take a look at?

Again for ease of use and results.

Luke.

post edited by lukecoool - 2007/04/01 08:47:29

9 Replies Related Threads

conklin
    • Total Posts : 53
    RE: Mastering software? 2007/04/01 09:41:51 (permalink)
    I use Ozone. Very pleased with the quality. The loudness maximizer I find can be a bit harsh with some material...at least to my ears anyway. I had no use for any of the presets. For the price it's worth checking out.
    Jamz0r
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1725
    RE: Mastering software? 2007/04/01 12:23:11 (permalink)
    Luke, I use Ozone3 and have been getting very nice results.

I would stay away from the presets. At first, you may find a few that make you think they are great, but they are not! They will completely color and over-process the sound.
    A little goes a long way. If you need to be doing some drastic processing to a mix, chances are, you should remix.

Also, use extreme caution with what I call the "gizmo settings". The MB Harmonic Exciter, and the MB Stereo Imaging. MBHE can be used for certain things, but very lightly. MBSI should pretty much never be used.
    Ognis
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5129
    RE: Mastering software? 2007/04/02 08:57:48 (permalink)
    I use Waves Dimiond Bundle. I tried Ozone, but it "looked" like a total mess. It works, and all, but it's a real pain in the rear to fool around with. I just hate the "all in one" aspect of Ozone - so it's just my personal pref, not that Ozone isn't good, just... As far as Waves, if you can afford them, and if you have a iLok, then those are the plugs I'd go for. But, be aware, that something like the Dimond Bundle new is a few thousand dollars The plugs are awsome though. I use tham all the time. The Dimiond Bundle has plugs for every step of your audio work. You can check out more info here http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DiamondNat/
    post edited by Ognis - 2007/04/02 09:00:44
    fotizo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    Mastering 2007/04/02 10:05:58 (permalink)
    Anyone great enough to help with the mastering of my song should give me a holla at zmoderec@yahoo.com. I will love you to be a part of my success. thanks
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Mastering 2007/04/03 18:55:12 (permalink)
    I like waves. The Mastering bundle isn't that cheap but probably worth the extra cost if you plan to persue it as a career (or even better, the Broadcast and Production bundle). If not, the Native Power Pack has the essentials like the Q10 equalizer, C1 compressor and L1 limiter. Industry standard stuff. Diamond has a lot of stuff you may never use for mastering, though it does have the L3!

I hear good things about Ozone though, I'm sure it would be a safe bet for the price.
    lukecoool
    RE: Mastering 2007/04/05 13:54:13 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies I'll look into it in more depth in a few weeks

L.
    strungdown
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 573
    RE: Mastering 2007/04/12 14:19:09 (permalink)
    Do you have Sonar PE? The Sonitus effects let you do a great mastering.
    lukecoool
    RE: Mastering 2007/04/12 19:33:56 (permalink)
    Hi strungdown...No I don't have that I have Sonar 2...

L
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Mastering 2007/04/21 05:25:57 (permalink)
    Luke, you have enough tools in sonar2 to get started. If i were you, instead of getting a mastering software, you should upgrade to sonar6, it has the Vcchannel strip ans the a multiband compressor from sonitus and a whole bunch of other goodies that is great for mastering. I think its only $149 to upgrade to the producer edition. This would be the best move for you at this point. with that said, I just got the KJ Golden bundle, the Waves Diamond Bundle, T-Racks mastering bundle, and Soundforge for mastering. I just recently got all these a few days ago, so i havent had alot off time to go thru every single one, But The Waves diamond bundle would be the way to go. Also the KJ golden series is right up their with the Waves diamond at a fraction of its price. A big fraction. anyways i would upgrade to soanr 6 producer first and youll be amazed at the plugs that come with it, and then later on down the road you can get a mastering bundle, or you may be contempt with sonar6 producer. for $149 you cant go wrong, youll get alot of high grade plugs that can be used to master and i just used sonar6 pe for mastering and mixing, tracking for a while with exellent results....I think i ranted enough.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1